Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

Castings are not poisonous to the worms, they will process their own castings a few times over before it would be any problem. Make sure there is plenty of bedding ( you can never overdo the bedding) and as long as there is at least a little food they will be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:51 AM

37 posts, read 53,693 times
If you think too much about the worms I think that's when the problems begin. I just let ours do their thing and they seem to be doing fine. However I think they are reproducing so much that they need more space...Good to know that the castings aren't poisonous to them. Or else we'd have a bunch of dead worms here.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,970,189 times
I am so interested to start doing this. Great thread topic. I was going to do a tumbler compost but i think vermiposting is a better option for us... can it be used on vegetables and fruits or would it mainly be for flowers and such?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 PM

983 posts, read 2,545,001 times
Me too, how did you start this? can you post some pics? I am starting a garden in a new area and would love to have some of this stuff.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,641,326 times
I have been doing it for three years. Started with a batch of red wigglers and they have done well. I have two large Rubbermaid bins that I put vents in...they sit in a corner in my living room. I harvest the castings two to three times a year. I fertilize all my house plants and outside containers with them. I did stop giving them bananas and the peels after fruit fly issues. Also had a garbage bug issue due to too much moisture build up...got rid of them by setting the container out in dub zero temps for about 45 minutes.

I keep my paper shredder right beside the bins and put the shredded papers in the bins as needed.

I have made compost tea with them but now I use my compost from my chicken coop instead. ( they both are great.)

This is inside the bin. Two pieces of PVC pipe with hole vent covers in the side extra air. I always keep everything covered with the paper but I just put in some coffee grains which you can see.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody else vermicomposting?-image.jpg  

Old 06-11-2014, 06:33 PM

This is my two bins in the corner. They have sat there for 18 months and no one has ever noticed...no odor if kept properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody else vermicomposting?-image.jpg  

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM

983 posts, read 2,545,001 times
Thanks for sharing. Found this on pintrest Composting with a PVC worm tube
Might try this one in the fall. I am really not sure about having them in my living room. Would the garage be too hot for them?

Old 06-12-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Thanks for sharing. Found this on pintrest Composting with a PVC worm tube
Might try this one in the fall. I am really not sure about having them in my living room. Would the garage be too hot for them?
Could possibly be too hot and too cold. They seem to do best in the 70-80 degree range but do okay slightly outside that range too. I can't recall the minimal and maximum extremes temps. I kept them in my basement at my old house and they did fine...but not as well as in normal room temps.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 PM

We got one of those Worm Bin 360 and it has been a good experience so far, but I think we will make a bin out of those big totes like hinsey86's. Currently our bin is in our spare bedroom. Sometimes it gets very humid in our apartment especially in that room, so I move them to a cooler spot. They really seem to do better when it is around 70 indoors.

"finished" vermicompost

The pepper plants I over-wintered and they are coming back..with the help of vermicompost.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 PM

We feed them old bread, cooked rice, old stale veggies (they love brassicas), slimy black bananas and peels, and other fruit. Cardboard and newspaper is their "brown" of choice. We got our worms online and made sure we had the bin first before the worms got here so it'd be ready for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living