Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times

Advertisements

I agree Dakster. It is a switch that is buildable with current technology. It to my knowledge it hasn't yet been built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:06 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
We have the same problem with renting out our vacation home. Lots of people think solar is cool, but its not for them!! We have friends that also rent out vacation homes and they have quit telling people that they are off the grid. On both our homes the solar system is completely transparent to the renter.....we even had renters that did NOT realize we were off grid.

As a side note, the worst energy users are those that profess a "environmental" vision. I am not sure why, but I suspect most think solar energy is free and abundant.

They have to draw down the battery bank and then the generator starts automatically to recharge the batteries and the generator clock tells me exactly how long it ran!!

Once that generator starts running solar is no longer free and abundant!!! And generator run times are not cheap!! It is getting to the point that once somebody states that they are environmentally oriented I feel like cancelling the reservation!!

I have thought about putting a surcharge on energy hogs.
Why wouldn't you do this? Allow some genset time and anything over that amount per day they pay.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,737,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
DC - Yes, a more complicated transfer switch, but it has to have a fail safe to not allow power to be transferred back to the grid if the grid is off - but allow power to still be transferred to the house. Be UL and power company approved to. AND be able to do this without a battery backup system to be "affordable". I believe that this is possible, I just have not seen one YET.

Fire code states there must be a way to completely turn off the system from the outside. So a main that turns the whole system off, which should be part of any installation regardless. Even if just for your own safety - as in a totally off grid, non-code cabin in the middle of nowhere, I would want a want to turn off the entire system. (Not everyone will do this or want this... But it just makes sense to me)
Even has synch check relay if you want to go back on the grid automatically...

Automatic Transfer Switch - Asco Transfer Switch

Old 05-19-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Even has synch check relay if you want to go back on the grid automatically...

Automatic Transfer Switch - Asco Transfer Switch
Doesn't do the job. This is an either or system -- standby generator or utility power. PV needs to operate in parallel in normal mode and island house load when utility power is lost.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:44 AM

[quote=DCforever;34861440]Doesn't do the job. This is an either or system -- standby generator or utility power. PV needs to operate in parallel in normal mode and island house load when utility power is lost.[/quot
Then spend the money and put in a system that works, instantaneous transfer with synch check is readily available...
Static Transfer Switch

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...bquisIOv6vGpBk-

https://www.selinc.com/SEL-300G/

This is pretty long and somewhat complex but if you study hard it might help understand the difficulties tying multiple uncontrolled "renewable" resources the interconnected grid...........

http://gcep.stanford.edu/pdfs/2wh9Q1...ricGrid101.pdf

Old 05-19-2014, 08:07 AM

Why don't you look up UL 1741 and stop posting stuff that utilities won't allow to be used on a PV system.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Why don't you look up UL 1741 and stop posting stuff that utilities won't allow to be used on a PV system.
Thanks for posting that. I was certain that Battery Backup Inverters with anti-islanding features, for Grid-Tie Solar applications, had already been on the market for several years, but I didn't have the facts at my fingertips. Following this standard proves it. No need to reinvent the wheel. They're available off the shelf.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-19-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Is that what you want?
http://www.pv-ech.org/news/xet_recei...icro_inverter/

Princeton Power Systems Announces Underwriter's Lab Standard 1741 Approval for its 100kW Grid-Tied Inverter | EE Times

Old 05-20-2014, 07:03 AM

#1 is a dead link

#2 is a 100 kW inverter for commercial loads. No one is going to install that at their house.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Thanks for posting that. I was certain that Battery Backup Inverters with anti-islanding features, for Grid-Tie Solar applications, had already been on the market for several years, but I didn't have the facts at my fingertips. Following this standard proves it. No need to reinvent the wheel. They're available off the shelf.
This is an expensive alternative these battery backup inverters are not nearly as efficient as grid connected inverters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living