Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,060,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I didn't think there was any savings between CFL and LED. Just that LEDS didn't have mercury in them.
I removed the CFL's from my off-grid house and replaced them with LED's.

The LED's are much more efficient that CFL's. My observation is that CFL's use MORE electricity than what is on the package, while LED's use much LESS electricity.

The quality of light is much, much better on on the LED's. There is also the advantage of instant-on which is really a pain with CFL's

BTW I found the same issue with thin-film solar panels and silicon panels. The graph specs did not show much gain for the thin-film panels under low light conditions. In real life, there was a big difference for the thin-film panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
BTW I found the same issue with thin-film solar panels and silicon panels. The graph specs did not show much gain for the thin-film panels under low light conditions. In real life, there was a big difference for the thin-film panels.
I'm not clear what you mean. Please explain.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:21 AM

If you look at the spec chart for similar wattage panels under low light conditions it does not look like there is much difference in electricity generated.

When I was working we had solar drinking fountains in some of our campgrounds. They were fairly heavily forested so direct sun light on the panel, even with a 20 foot pole, did not happen very often. The Forestry Tech was swapping out the silicon panels for thin-film in one of our campgrounds. The silicon panel would not drive the water pump, however, as soon as he hooked up the thin-film panel it started pumping water.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Thanks for the review of the CFL vs. LED.

In addition, the information on the thin film vs. silicon is new to me as well. Nothing like first hand knowledge in a real world environment.

Aren't specs in the lab wonderful... (not)

Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,926,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Who has one and does it work well? Have you needed repairs? Did you size it properly or wish it was larger or smaller? Has it continued to work well year after year?

I was told to buy an 8KW system based on my electricity usage over the past 12 months. It should be enough to power my whole house.

I am considering buying a system and would like to hear what people who own them have to say.
I've posted a lot more detail than you might be looking for in our local forum here on this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-decision.html

So far it has not needed any repairs. I used as much of my roof space as feasible, but wish I had more power (current capacity is 10.5kW at max output). If I didn't have a pool which is running for 8 hours a day, plus another 1-2 hours of robotic cleaner, and solar heating for the pool, I could be at zero net usage with this system or maybe even better, but with the pool running I need more capacity).

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM

Thanks for posting your link. That was interesting.

Is your house all-electric??

Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting your link. That was interesting.

Is your house all-electric??
Virtually, now that we've switched to geothermal HVAC, but not quite. We still use gas for heating our hot water and also for our 2 outside grills, plus our fire pit by the pool. Nothing else as of now is gas powered in the house.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:09 PM

Interesting.

Our house is all-electric in eastern Washington. 2400 square feet with 3 bedrooms 2 baths. The house is 25 years old with all the original heating and cooling appliances. They are pretty inefficient. No significant trees around the property.

We have sunny days spring and fall with temps around 60 degrees during the day and 30-40;s at night.. Sunny, hot summers with highs 95-100 lows 50-60 throughout the summer. Winter is cloudy with temps 30-40 highs and 20 low.

The house is 25 years old with all the original heating and cooling appliances.

My Annual Kilo-watt usage is 35194 at a cost of $950.24. Yours is 41711 at a cost of $4,421.94!!!!

The interesting part is the different seasons....

winter (dec, jan, feb) I use 10,5522 kilowatts while your at only 4029.

summer (june, july, august) I use 3836 kilowatts while your at 9300!!!

spring we are pretty close at 4604 versus 4557.

and fall 3894 versus 4984.

I am surprised at the summer difference since I suspect your up to 95-100 degrees just like us. I did cover my south and west facing windows with match-stick blinds on the outside. Wonder if that accounts for much of the difference. My house faces due south and is almost all glass on that side.

When we moved and switched PUD's I called to complain about my electric bill since it was about 30% higher....after seeing your bill I will quit complaining.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The interesting part is the different seasons....

winter (dec, jan, feb) I use 10,5522 kilowatts while your at only 4029.

summer (june, july, august) I use 3836 kilowatts while your at 9300!!!

spring we are pretty close at 4604 versus 4557.

and fall 3894 versus 4984.

I am surprised at the summer difference since I suspect your up to 95-100 degrees just like us. I did cover my south and west facing windows with match-stick blinds on the outside. Wonder if that accounts for much of the difference. My house faces due south and is almost all glass on that side.
If this was meant for me, I have an explanation.

Winter: the kWh usage numbers shown in my detailed thread were from before solar and geo, so they show my usage when heating was all done by natural gas. Now that I have geothermal, it's all done with electricity, so my usage has gone way up, but used to be tiny during the winter because the bulk of my monthly utility cost was at that time in gas, not power.

Summer: Our summers here are very long and hot. We begin getting into the 80s and 90s often in May and it lasts until September with July and August expected to be above 90 every single day. The air con is on constantly. The pool also runs more hours during the day in summer to filter/clean/sanitize and if its warm out, it jumps up in pump speed to run the solar water heater to heat the water. We're talking 500 kWh/month just for pool usage alone in summer months.

For spring and fall, our weather is temperate and we discontinue use of heating or cooling as soon as feasible to save power and enjoy the outside weather, so it's similar to yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living