Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,580,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The retail businesses wanted to stop supplying bags to carry the items they sell you. The idea that law banning plastic bags would help them reach that goal was a sideshow and meant nothing other than to provide the means.

A law stating that stores had to offer recyclable plastic bags would have solved a problem for consumers and the environment. That wasn't the problem though, it was a revenue problem and banning all plastic bags by calling them single use was just what the stores were looking for.

Along came the environmentalists and voila, a ready and willing group to do the dirty deed.
Of course, this is just a story, told by a person with an extreme bias, offering no proof of anything he says, and therefore not amounting to actual... you know... facts.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-30-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:10 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,922,658 times
Those plastic trash bags (purchased at Dollar Tree, BTW) are what I intend to use should single-use plastic bags become verboten here. After the store trip, the bag will be used for lawn/garden trash.

Of course, we have a huge stash of grocery bags (nice when you have pets), anyway, so we won't be running out any time soon. Until then, the tree-hugger standing in line behind me with a smirk, can continue to use her bacteria-laden reusable tote, while I use the store bags (for which I will NEVER pay one cent).

Old 09-30-2014, 10:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,454,674 times
Reusable bags, at least the ones I use, launder beautifully. I wash them in hot water with the kitchen linens after every trip to the store and place them in a basket by the door ready for my next trip to the grocery. In any case, I'm not smirking at you. My choice is my choice, and your choice is yours.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,038,368 times
I love the Internet tough guys who plan to make a stand over grocery store bags.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,074,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Reusable bags, at least the ones I use, launder beautifully. I wash them in hot water with the kitchen linens after every trip to the store and place them in a basket by the door ready for my next trip to the grocery. In any case, I'm not smirking at you. My choice is my choice, and your choice is yours.
It's still using resources when washing but you really have to keep those bags clean or risk illness so you don't have much of a choice if you use them.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM

7,279 posts, read 11,007,767 times
The bias against recyclable plastic bags is a fact.
Paying for bags that were previously included at no cost is a fact.
The cost of groceries not going down because bags are no longer provided is a fact.
The added revenue for stores as a result of the ban is a fact.
Washing the typical recyclable bags now used because they become contaminated is a fact.
More plastic is used in packaging than in the bags used to carry them is a fact.

Seems some people are oblivious of facts because they live in the isolation of lala land is also a fact.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It's still using resources when washing but you really have to keep those bags clean or risk illness so you don't have much of a choice if you use them.
No more resources than I was already using when laundering the kitchen linens. It's really not a big deal, but you'd think as much with all the whining going on in this thread.

I've said this before, and I'll repeat myself here. I have a chronic disease that is treated with immunosuppressants, so if anybody needs to be careful about exposure to illness-causing microorganisms, it's me. Nonetheless, I have been shopping with reusable cloth bags (grocery, produce, and bulk) & containers (glass jars) for years with no problems, but you'd think I was carrying the plague from some of the responses to this thread. Good gracious!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
No more resources than I was already using when laundering the kitchen linens. It's really not a big deal, but you'd think as much with all the whining going on in this thread.

I've said this before, and I'll repeat myself here. I have a chronic disease that is treated with immunosuppressants, so if anybody needs to be careful about exposure to illness-causing microorganisms, it's me. Nonetheless, I have been shopping with reusable cloth bags (grocery, produce, and bulk) & containers (glass jars) for years with no problems, but you'd think I was carrying the plague from some of the responses to this thread. Good gracious!
And you don't mind paying for something you didn't pay for before? Did your grocery costs go down because you bring your own bag?

This would be a totally different story if as a result of the law, prices came down but they haven't. Getting fleeced is just part of the deal eh?

Individually, it isn't a big deal. Now look, just for a moment, at the total cost savings to the stores. To believe that those monies are going to "education" or any other environmental concern is pure naivete. There aren't that many people that will cough up the dime per paper bag to give any significant amount to education of any kind.

This was all about money and so far not a single person on this thread has been able to show different.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
And you don't mind paying for something you didn't pay for before? Did your grocery costs go down because you bring your own bag?

This would be a totally different story if as a result of the law, prices came down but they haven't. Getting fleeced is just part of the deal eh?

Individually, it isn't a big deal. Now look, just for a moment, at the total cost savings to the stores. To believe that those monies are going to "education" or any other environmental concern is pure naivete. There aren't that many people that will cough up the dime per paper bag to give any significant amount to education of any kind.

This was all about money and so far not a single person on this thread has been able to show different.
I reused cloth bags and containers I already owned or made myself (bulk bags). At my grocery, I do receive a small discount for bringing my own bags, but if I forget them my purchases are packed in paper for no extra fee.

On a side note, I spend less for groceries than ever before, because I've changed the way I cook to include the many grains, dried beans, baking supplies, spices, and other ingredients found in the bulk aisle. I saved over $100 in just one shopping trip by refilling my spice tins from bulk containers rather than buying new jars. So, yeah, there's that.

My life requires very few plastic bags. I have one box of plastic lawn bags that is probably eight years old in the garage. I don't remember the last time I needed one. Wait, I think I used one last time we went camping, so I do understand why people might need one occasionally. That said, I don't agree that they must be free at check-out.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-01-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM

Changing what you buy because you've changed your diet has nothing to do with bags.

None of the money being saved by the large grocery stores is being returned to customers as lowered prices. In effect, the ban did nothing except increase your costs. You had to buy the cloth bag.

Over your lifetime and everyone else's, how much money do you think the stores put in their pockets at your expense because of a misguided ban?

Notice how so few people and practically none here, especially the believe anything crowd support recyclable plastic bags in a form other than requiring you to pay for it? The argument that you'd pay for any plastic bags simply is ignoring facts. You were paying for them but now you still pay the same amount for the groceries, you just don't get a bag.

An inconvenient fact the vocalists here don't want to acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living