Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 PM

7,279 posts, read 10,997,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
This is about the 10th time now that you have said the exact same thing, I think everyone in here can read? Regardless if we agree or disagree on whether or not a plastic bag charge occurs and whether or not someone cares, I will look at this from your shoes.

What is there to do about it? You can come in here and say that people are blind for not catching this, but what step can they take to correct this?

In this way of thinking, I would bet you aren't in favor of self-checkout lines neither?
Its about the 10th time the same question has been asked of me or the response was something along the lines that it was here-say or that someone comes along and says something like Walmart doesn't charge for bags, they make their money on volume.

Strange how you don't acknowledge that.

Didn't you say: "See, this is where you are wrong. Walmart specifically states that they do not charge their customers for plastic bags."

???

That is a provable falsehood. Not that they didn't say it,that you believed it and it was a lie. The lack of a basic understanding of how business work was astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 11:00 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,774,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Its about the 10th time the same question has been asked of me or the response was something along the lines that it was here-say or that someone comes along and says something like Walmart doesn't charge for bags, they make their money on volume.

Strange how you don't acknowledge that.

Didn't you say: "See, this is where you are wrong. Walmart specifically states that they do not charge their customers for plastic bags."

???

That is a provable falsehood. Not that they didn't say it,that you believed it and it was a lie. The lack of a basic understanding of how business work was astounding.
We will agree to disagree, I'm not going to waste my time.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
We will agree to disagree, I'm not going to waste my time.
That is fine and all it takes. There are others though, with whom that is impossible.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 PM
MJ7

Quote:
That is fine and all it takes. There are others though, with whom that is impossible.
We all need to respect each others opinions, even if we do not agree with them. I'm not here to stop or change anyone's mind on this discussion. The only question I have for you is, what are you going to do about it?

Old 10-06-2014, 12:24 AM

18,484 posts, read 15,933,085 times
Pet owners who need to pick up the pet's waste use them! I certainly do.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
We all need to respect each others opinions, even if we do not agree with them. I'm not here to stop or change anyone's mind on this discussion. The only question I have for you is, what are you going to do about it?
First, I practice what I talk about. Instead of just talking about "green" I make sure my carbon footprint is as low as it can get, sans a burial.

Water use is only several hundred gallons per month and all but black water is reused, some more than once.

I don't use bags anymore unless absolutely necessary. I went to a store today to buy things other than groceries. When I was asked if I wanted a bag for 10 cents (in a Hardware store!!!) I said no but asked if I could use the hand carry shopping thingy to take the good to my car where I put them into a cardboard box I have. I make it known that I won't pay twice for something and don't appreciate paying even once for something I don't get. That might not change anyone's mind but it might make then think about things.

Dog poop doesn't get put into the trash, it gets shoved into gopher holes, they hate it and move away.

Food waste gets composted when possible. I try not to buy food in plastic wrap, instead buy fresh to be consumed that day. It gets wrapped in paper, the paper gets recycled.

The list goes on and on. Instead of being a cheerleader, reading and hyping news articles on this forum and groveling at the mere mention of Tesla, I drive so little that anyone with an electric car uses more fossil fuels that do I to get around.

Our house, despite being in a temperate climate does experience the low to mid 20s in Winter and over 100 in summer yet without air conditioning and rarely if ever, heat, stays at a near constant 70 degrees inside because of the way it is configured.

Unlike the headline readers who rush to rah rah the latest fad, I practice what I advocate. I don't own a Tesla but then don't tell everyone how great they are either, especially when I see owners washing their wonderful Musk Mobiles three times a week while water is scarce but then drive by with a smug look on their faces as if they really help anything.

Our biggest costs are the service fees, not the service commodities used.

I do plenty which is why I feel comfortable saying what I say. I think through before jumping on the latest do anything idea.

How about you, one fair question deserves another and an answers surely deserves another as well.

So, now about you since you wanted to make it about me.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:43 AM
MJ7

Quote:
First, I practice what I talk about. Instead of just talking about "green" I make sure my carbon footprint is as low as it can get, sans a burial.

Water use is only several hundred gallons per month and all but black water is reused, some more than once.

I don't use bags anymore unless absolutely necessary. I went to a store today to buy things other than groceries. When I was asked if I wanted a bag for 10 cents (in a Hardware store!!!) I said no but asked if I could use the hand carry shopping thingy to take the good to my car where I put them into a cardboard box I have. I make it known that I won't pay twice for something and don't appreciate paying even once for something I don't get. That might not change anyone's mind but it might make then think about things.

Dog poop doesn't get put into the trash, it gets shoved into gopher holes, they hate it and move away.

Food waste gets composted when possible. I try not to buy food in plastic wrap, instead buy fresh to be consumed that day. It gets wrapped in paper, the paper gets recycled.

The list goes on and on. Instead of being a cheerleader, reading and hyping news articles on this forum and groveling at the mere mention of Tesla, I drive so little that anyone with an electric car uses more fossil fuels that do I to get around.

Our house, despite being in a temperate climate does experience the low to mid 20s in Winter and over 100 in summer yet without air conditioning and rarely if ever, heat, stays at a near constant 70 degrees inside because of the way it is configured.

Unlike the headline readers who rush to rah rah the latest fad, I practice what I advocate. I don't own a Tesla but then don't tell everyone how great they are either, especially when I see owners washing their wonderful Musk Mobiles three times a week while water is scarce but then drive by with a smug look on their faces as if they really help anything.

Our biggest costs are the service fees, not the service commodities used.

I do plenty which is why I feel comfortable saying what I say. I think through before jumping on the latest do anything idea.

How about you, one fair question deserves another and an answers surely deserves another as well.

So, now about you since you wanted to make it about me.
I believe the majority of us in this thread do similar as you do.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I believe the majority of us in this thread do similar as you do.
Why do you believe that? Have you are anyone else really gone into any detail to show that to be true?

Speaking of which, I notice you can't or won't answer the very question you asked of me. That speaks volumes and is a rather typical position since those usually in support of anything green often can't detail much of anything they do past talking about it.

Anything less than forthcoming is now gibberish as I have suspected.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Why do you believe that? Have you are anyone else really gone into any detail to show that to be true?

Speaking of which, I notice you can't or won't answer the very question you asked of me. That speaks volumes and is a rather typical position since those usually in support of anything green often can't detail much of anything they do past talking about it.

Anything less than forthcoming is now gibberish as I have suspected.
Instead of being rude why can't you just listen to someone else?

I have been in the Green Living area for awhile now and I know that many of the people that commented on this thread have stated in various other threads what they do at home, (example: see my thread on small energy savings we can all do at home).

The reason I feel like I don't need to go into specifics as to what I do (and I already have in various other posts and topic threads) is because I don't feel like I need to, I'm comfortable and confident in what I do and I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

Are you done?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Instead of being rude why can't you just listen to someone else?

I have been in the Green Living area for awhile now and I know that many of the people that commented on this thread have stated in various other threads what they do at home, (example: see my thread on small energy savings we can all do at home).

The reason I feel like I don't need to go into specifics as to what I do (and I already have in various other posts and topic threads) is because I don't feel like I need to, I'm comfortable and confident in what I do and I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

Are you done?
Rude is asking of others what you are unwilling to do. Rude is challenging someone else and then saying the same does not apply to you.

The have the sense to accept that of others instead of proposing questions asking them for the very details you don't feel like you need to provide.

You don't need to prove yourself to anyone yet don't use that standard when it comes to others.

How did I know?

So typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living