Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:05 PM

47,050 posts, read 26,153,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
They got duped by the companies funding the efforts. What was accomplished? Not much other than stores now charging for any type of bag to carry out the very things you pay them for. The plastic bag laws only served to allow stores to charge you for something else.
You were always charged for plastic bags - their cost was just added to the price of your groceries. Giving the consumer no incentive to do anything but get as many as possible and treat them as a throw-away item afterwards. Presto, litter.

Quote:
Proof? Go to a Home Depot or Lowes and watch as some people buy PLASTIC lawn and garden bags and then put them into recyclable bags to carry them to the car. Hello?
You'd be surprised how much more careful people are with their consumption habits once the cost of something is visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You were always charged for plastic bags - their cost was just added to the price of your groceries. Giving the consumer no incentive to do anything but get as many as possible and treat them as a throw-away item afterwards. Presto, litter.

You'd be surprised how much more careful people are with their consumption habits once the cost of something is visible.
EXACTLY!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:48 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,022,941 times
We get charged a nickel per bag if you don't bring your own bag. That has made a huge difference in people's behavior.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:57 PM

208 posts, read 331,640 times
I still use plastic ...
I'm more concerned with the coming environmental mess our over use of consumer electronics will cause.
Mostly BTW made in China.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:20 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,752,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think we need to get rid of the plastic water bottles. they are everywhere
Doesn't New York have a deposit on plastic water bottles? At a nickel a shot, most of them get recycled.

The problem with plastic grocery bags is that they get loose, blow around, and kill wildlife.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,892,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
I still use plastic ...
I'm more concerned with the coming environmental mess our over use of consumer electronics will cause.
Mostly BTW made in China.
I sometimes think too many resources are going into the small things, all the while not tackling the large scale environmental issues. A little here and there helps of course, but there are some large scale things that I feel people do not really consider, or take too seriously because it is not so in people's faces, and it would cause more of an impact on people's lifestyles.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 PM

18,512 posts, read 31,753,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What would they sell water in then?

What about products like cola?

dont the have juice drinks in like cardboard contaioner, i know my kids used to have them, that would be recycleable

PS: I dont think it pertains to the water bottles like poland spring, etc.....

Old 09-19-2014, 07:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,059,892 times
Every trash bag I have bought are safe for landfills as they decay overtime.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,395,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think we need to get rid of the plastic water bottles. they are everywhere
My past two resident states charged deposits on plastic bottles. Now I'm in GA. "Naw, just toss them suckers." I do use the recycle bin on trash day.

I too use the plastic grocery bags for my bathroom trashcans. And I use them for doggy doody bags.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:39 PM

277 posts, read 330,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
One problem at a time is the very reason the problem exists in the first place.

Instead of addressing the real problem, supporting the idea of making recyclable plastic bags, the do-gooders simply ban plastic bags. Just how does that solve the problem? It just creates new problems.

That is the way the do-gooders work though, instead of fixing things, create yet new problems so that the few are enriched so they can continue "the process" of one problem at a time. They don't really want to solve problems, they love the process.

One problem at a time is how we ended up with most of the serious problem we have. Trusting the one problem at a time people only insures there will be an endless supply of problems, most of them created by the one problem at a time people.

The solution was recyclable plastic bags, not banning them. The solution was new packaging methods that allow for easy carry of products. The solution was using some brain power instead of control power.

When was the last time the one problem at a time people ever solved a problem that didn't create a multitude of new problems? Name one time.

Results matter not, its their intentions that are important.

Certainly, the ensuing mess of their intentions are not their fault though. Its probably your fault. Or mine - but certainly not theirs.

Loathe these people....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living