Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 10:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I hope this is the last time this needs to be said....Biodegradable plastic can be made from the hemp plant.Now you know one of the reasons the US federal government is waging a global war against the plant.Oil companies and big pharma want no part of a natural substance taking the place of their $$$ products.
Why do you feel the need to keep repeating yourself? We know, we know.

Without doing a lot of work to confirm, I think 21 states are now lined up to allow commercial hemp cultivation once the federal prohibition ends, 7 are lined up for pilots, and I believe there was actual cultivation in Colorado this year.

I don't buy the conspiracy theory, I think it's exactly what the feds have said all along... that since it is a variety of cannabis, albeit with a very low THC content, it can be used to mask the cultivation of the smokin' kind, because its visual ID is the same, its thermal image is the same, its UV image is the same, so it confuses the heck out of DEA spotter plane enforcement.

In Colorado, that isn't so much of an issue now as it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,008 times
Yes, sure anyone trashes their lawn and garden waste with a plastic bag to dump-yards or any open waste field but no one at all thinks about the chemical side-effect after that.
Finally it shows serious & hazardous environmental impacts, which effect human-life as well as wildlife.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:47 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,313,499 times
Quote:
I hope this is the last time this needs to be said....

Biodegradable plastic can be made from the hemp plant.
We use plastic grocery bags as liners for bathroom trash cans. Why doesn't that count as recycling?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We use plastic grocery bags as liners for bathroom trash cans. Why doesn't that count as recycling?
It is reusing, yes, not recycling, and that's definitely better than merely discarding. But it still winds up in the landfill, and it still consumes non-renewable resources. And since research shows that over 90% of them don't get reused in any way, and that so many just wind up polluting the landscape and the waterways something has to be done to reduce the waste.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 AM

6,406 posts, read 6,295,813 times
Quote:
I hope this is the last time this needs to be said....

Biodegradable plastic can be made from the hemp plant.

Now you know one of the reasons the US federal government is waging a global war against the plant.
Oil companies and big pharma want no part of a natural substance taking the place of their $$$ products.
Sorry, you'll need to KEEP saying it and many more need to START saying it!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,968,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Because the plastic bag "problem" is about control and money and has little if anything to do with the environment.

Notice how the advent of the laws prohibiting the use of plastic grocery bags also made sure the stores can charge 10 cents or so for paper bags?

What does banning plastic bags have to do with offering an alternative? Nothing. It is about money and simply telling you what you can and can't do.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Because the plastic bag "problem" is about control and money and has little if anything to do with the environment.
This paranoid view simply ignores the fact that laws were promoted by organizations with genuine concerns about the environment, not about the money.

Quote:
Notice how the advent of the laws prohibiting the use of plastic grocery bags also made sure the stores can charge 10 cents or so for paper bags?
For the stores that do, it's a compensation for having to stop using cheaper plastic flimsy bags, and the cost passalong for the bags isn't making them any money. Meanwhile, on the rare occasions when I've been caught out and about without my own shopping bag, I've always been offered paper ones for free.

Really, it's no big deal, and not worth fussing over.

Quote:
What does banning plastic bags have to do with offering an alternative? Nothing. It is about money and simply telling you what you can and can't do.
That's just your opinion, there are facts in opposition, and you've offered no proof for your claims, so it's not really worth a lot.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-28-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Notice how stores used to give you a credit for bringing in your own paper bag or reusable bag? Not anymore.

Why not?

Because the greeners figured out how to throw money at a problem that does absolutely nothing to solve it.

Now, instead of getting a credit when you bring in your own bag (which actually does help) you get charged for getting one from the store and nothing for lowering their costs for using your own.

Its about the money, not the environment. It never was about the environment other than the fragrance of the air freshener at the corporate office where smoke was blown into the faces of those who got invited to workshops and thought they were doing something for the collective good but forgot all that when someone have them a donut and a cup of free coffee.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,156,171 times
I actually reuse plastic bags over and over for many things. They're versatile and not bulky. They can be used to pick up dog poop, as rubbish bin liners, as lunch bags, to store spillable items, to organize things on the go, they can be tied securely, etc.

Whereas paper bags always seem to break on me, or are only good for one time use. And if anything spills, you're screwed. So I think paper bags are more of a waste.

And I hate the reusable bags...they're super bulky, and you have to calculate exactly how many you'll need on agiven shopping trip.

I'm surprised biodegradable plastic bags aren't more common place.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:30 PM

The retail businesses wanted to stop supplying bags to carry the items they sell you. The idea that law banning plastic bags would help them reach that goal was a sideshow and meant nothing other than to provide the means.

A law stating that stores had to offer recyclable plastic bags would have solved a problem for consumers and the environment. That wasn't the problem though, it was a revenue problem and banning all plastic bags by calling them single use was just what the stores were looking for.

Along came the environmentalists and voila, a ready and willing group to do the dirty deed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living