Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the stats are regarding te youth and schools in more rural areas.
A friend had an electronics class in high school. I'm just few years older and we had wood shop and auto shop. My children grew up in a very rural area and they had auto shop as well. I was actually a bit mad because my younger son got removed from the class as the school thought he was too young; when it was the older kids doing the dumb stuff. But that did not hurt my son. He is now is the mechanic for one of the Coast Guard rollover boats. He's the one that fixes the stuff no one else can.
His older brother is also into building and fixing. My oldest son is just 24 and is living in a cabin he pretty much built all by himself.
The town I currently live in has a welding class and auto shop still.

So I think the main 'problem' here now is access. If the schools in big cities do not offer these types of classes, how are the children going to get interested and learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
I would make the generalization.

We rent a off-grid solar home as a vacation rental. Once you deplete the batteries the generator starts running to recharge the batteries.

The WWII generation was the greatest in my eyes. Those folks could turn off lights and conserve energy. It goes rapidly downhill from there as people get younger. There is a bump upward for people with small kids. It must be they keep telling the kids to turn off the lights when they are not using them.

As a general rule the 20's are a disaster. I have had generator run times that are truly amazing. What were they doing to use so much electricity!!! The dryer, fridge, stove, oven, hot water heater, furnace ALL run on propane. I actually have asked a group, what did you have plugged in??.....nothing was the reply.

The other note is the more environmentally oriented people proclaim themselves the greater than electrical use. I suspect these folks tend to have a much, much less science education and really do not understand the little electricity that even a large solar array generates. Then they also recycle and maybe that in their minds that meets their environmental commitment and therefore they do not have to turn off the lights!!

There are always exceptions to the rule. This past week three couples from South Africa in their 20's and 30's rented the cabin. Generator never started.

Bless their hearts and their kind.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I wonder what the stats are regarding te youth and schools in more rural areas.
A friend had an electronics class in high school. I'm just few years older and we had wood shop and auto shop. My children grew up in a very rural area and they had auto shop as well. I was actually a bit mad because my younger son got removed from the class as the school thought he was too young; when it was the older kids doing the dumb stuff. But that did not hurt my son. He is now is the mechanic for one of the Coast Guard rollover boats. He's the one that fixes the stuff no one else can.
His older brother is also into building and fixing. My oldest son is just 24 and is living in a cabin he pretty much built all by himself.
The town I currently live in has a welding class and auto shop still.

So I think the main 'problem' here now is access. If the schools in big cities do not offer these types of classes, how are the children going to get interested and learn?
What are parents for?

Old 01-01-2015, 12:13 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,158,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..so lack of a high paying job is the reason they don't try to fix their broken "stuff" ?
I would think lack of a high paying job would be an incentive to fix their stuff rather than throw it out and buy a new one.

Seems to me the more money the millennials make the less they actually do..they hire others to do it for them.
Your argument still makes no sense. Why should millenials spend days learning about appliances when they work 60 hrs a wk? Guess Teabaggers like to make little worlds for themselves.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times

I find this an odd contention.

MAKE | DIY projects, how-tos, and inspiration from geeks, makers, and hackers

Maker Faire | The Greatest Show and Tell on Earth

eHow | How to - Discover the expert in you!

Holy Scrap

Walden Effect: Homesteading and Simple Living Blog

African Boy Build Wind Turbine

etc, etc

Also, ever hear of youtube? There are plenty of howto vids there that are made by - young people.

I don't doubt that there are inept millenialists. But there are also inept gen xers, inept boomers, and even inept silent generation.

Never fear, the urge to fix and tinker is not disappearing. There is nothing new about old farts pronouncing that a succeeding generation is deficient. I think they're just jealous.

Says this geezer, who thinks the younger generations are full of creative people who are making their presence felt at much younger ages than my generation ever did.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 AM

208 posts, read 330,644 times
jac,watching a you tube video it not the same as 1 on 1 interaction with a teacher - parent - friend.
Being able to you tube almost anything is another nail in the coffin of real human interaction.A computer is a tool , not an answer to all of everyone's problems.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
jac,watching a you tube video it not the same as 1 on 1 interaction with a teacher - parent - friend.
Being able to you tube almost anything is another nail in the coffin of real human interaction.A computer is a tool , not an answer to all of everyone's problems.
You should read the OP. This thread is about people fixing things vs throwing them away and not about human interaction. The reality is that there are a few things going on.

1. People are using things like HGTV and Google to fix more things than they used to in the past.
2. People are inherently replacing things that aren't broken more often (typically electronics).
3. Items that used to be more user-serviceable are much less so today (computers, TVs, and even many appliances.

In the US, where more people are doing their own plumbing and electrical work than ever before, it's not surprising to see that they are also repairing appliances more than in the past. A lot of this is attributed to stores like Home Depot and Lowes being in you face when you need them.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Total nonsense. If something breaks, kids google how to fix it and have it running again in seconds. Its the old rich lazy boomers who have huge houses full of inoperable garbage because they have no clue how to internet.
I agree. I learned how to do so many things that I would have never thought to do just by watchign a Youtube video. At first it was out of necessity, I needed something done at a time when nothign was open or i didn't have the money to do it. But now I like to do it. It's really reqrding being able to do small things for myself. I installed a ceiling fan in my son's bedroom where there used to only be a light. I was scared to death I was going to kill myself but i watched the videos, went to home depot and got it done.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You should read the OP. This thread is about people fixing things vs throwing them away and not about human interaction. The reality is that there are a few things going on.
You should read the last poster I was responding to...
Typical.
Quote:
etc, etc

Also, ever hear of youtube? There are plenty of howto vids there that are made by - young people.

I don't doubt that there are inept millenialists. But there are also inept gen xers, inept boomers, and even inept silent generation.

Never fear, the urge to fix and tinker is not disappearing. There is nothing new about old farts pronouncing that a succeeding generation is deficient. I think they're just jealous.

Says this geezer, who thinks the younger generations are full of creative people who are making their presence felt at much younger ages than my generation ever did.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

1. People are using things like HGTV and Google to fix more things than they used to in the past.
2. People are inherently replacing things that aren't broken more often (typically electronics).
3. Items that used to be more user-serviceable are much less so today (computers, TVs, and even many appliances.

In the US, where more people are doing their own plumbing and electrical work than ever before, it's not surprising to see that they are also repairing appliances more than in the past. A lot of this is attributed to stores like Home Depot and Lowes being in you face when you need them.
I call BS on those 3 points,prove it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living