Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:09 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Read that post again, let Millenials get this or that. That is exactly one of the points made by the OP, the new generation wants everything given to them, jobs, money, leisure, you name it. Hey, go out and figure it out already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Right.

CoolZombie -

We NEED millennials to work on electronics and they are not. We need millennials to be interested in what is referred to as the hard sciences. These are high paying 40 hr a week jobs, usually in the mid six figure range... My parents and especially my grandparents had a very labor intensive life just to put food on the table. Not Facebook, twit, text, a play online internet games all day. And this was back when they were kids - not adults. No A/C in the house in the southern US - let's not even talk about the car.

I don't where you thought any of us where talking about fixing your $10 phone charger. We are talking about the next generation being ready to work on the next generation of phones, computers, tablets, vehicle electronics, space travel electronics.
Yea your parents and grandparents lived that way...not you lazy self indulgent Boomers. Why are you pretending your generation isn't the one that lost scientific dominance to Asia? You also raised the Millennials. That's a pretty damning indictment to how your generation destroyed America, not sure why you feel the need to pretend otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Total nonsense. If something breaks, kids google how to fix it and have it running again in seconds. Its the old rich lazy boomers who have huge houses full of inoperable garbage because they have no clue how to internet.

Not only because they are lazy, but because they are also stubborn. Most are closed-minded and think they know it all.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:14 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
Have you ever tried to work on a newer car? You have to have a specialized computer to analyze what is going on with your car due to the electronics. Very little is now 'shade-tree'. I have watched what is involved with a plasma TV getting fixed. If we did not have a service policy,it would actually be cheaper to just buy a new one. Labor and parts to fix one is horrendous.

Then there is the repair of toasters, etc. You can buy a new toaster for less than $20. Try finding parts for one.

Honestly, while people will do their own home repairs, people will do a hard-cost analysis on repairs. Is it cheaper to replace than repair? How much time will it take me vs the cost of someone else doing it quicker? If I am doing it, what is it costing me in time away from my business, costing me money?

We are no longer the economy of the 60's where people could repair their products (cars, tv's, etc) and where the individual could get parts, etc to fix things.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why the current crop of kiddies aren't able to fix or build anything?

~ A college education has students look down their noses at jobs that get their dainty fingers dirty

~ Momsy doesn't want her darling asexual child to be stereotyped into "one of those jobs"

~ Todays hipsters live in self sustaining bed bug infested we grow our organics on the roof and mommy and daddy pay our monthly expenses..
Wow---has your life not turned out the way you wanted it to?

I know a lot of people. I don't know any of the kind of people you have mentioned.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
jac,watching a you tube video it not the same as 1 on 1 interaction with a teacher - parent - friend.
I don't know about that. I find it easier in most cases. Plus, it is available 24/7.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM

208 posts, read 330,694 times

It was a great time to grow up. But as the "free spirits" began to become Draft Eligible (Vietnam era) many opted to be Education majors, in order to stay in college and deferred from the draft.

So, now the "free spirits" who remained in education are now Administrators and decision makers in the Calif. public school system. Need I say more ? . . . . .

Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM

297 posts, read 358,700 times
Yes, lets blame an entire generation for the world sucking. Might as well point fingers at race, religious beliefs national background, political views and gender while we are at it.

Dang all of you 70 year old Inuit liberal Zoroastrian women from Moldova for ruining the american system!!!! It is all your fault!!!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
I know that the OP quoted an article from the UK, but reading it, it sounds a lot like what is happening in the US as well.

The scary thing, when I was young I always wanted to go with my father and uncles when they went out to fix things. (They were all plumbers and handymen at one point in their life or did it on the side for extra money). I watched as people worked on cars and fixed computers. And eventually I used to fix computers for a living for a bit as well. I can do some of the other stuff as a result too.

My kids are not interested in ANY of that... Heck they are not even interested in getting drivers licenses. I wanted one ever since I can remember.

I think a lot of it has to do with the disposable society. Even cars now are practically disposable items. After 7 years the manufacturer doesn't have to keep parts for them around - and unless they are still using that part for a newer car, they don't. If you have an unpopular model car junk yards can't even help you. It gets to the point that it isn't needing the mechanic skills to fix it, you can't get the part to fix it.
When I was a teen, the big focus was on driving.

We were amazed when our children got to that age, as among their peers there was little interest in driving.

My Dw and I were able to get our children excited about driving. But I would have never dreamed that a generation would come that did not care about it.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:26 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,848 times
Quote:
We need millennials to be interested in what is referred to as the hard sciences. These are high paying 40 hr a week jobs, usually in the mid six figure range...
As a late 20's millenial who majored in the exact hard sciences you're referring to, and has had a relatively successful 6 year career in those sciences so far, I can tell you that those magical jobs you're referring to are rarely 40 hours/week and it takes decades to reach mid six-figures.

Even if I had been privileged enough to have my parents help pay for undergrad and send me to grad school, I'd be nowhere near mid-six figures. My slightly-above-mid 5 figure salary doesn't go as far as it should because of student loans. I'm better off than many my age, but the hard sciences aren't the big-wig jobs that everyone thinks they are.

Oh, and it took 5 years of searching to find a company that gave a rat's ass about the 40 hour work week.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

297 posts, read 358,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was a teen, the big focus was on driving.

We were amazed when our children got to that age, as among their peers there was little interest in driving.

My Dw and I were able to get our children excited about driving. But I would have never dreamed that a generation would come that did not care about it.

Most of my generation was split right down the line in high school.
1/2 of them couldn't wait to drive and had a learners permit a 15 1/2 the rest were well into or out of collage.
It really is not needed to have a license depending on where you are living. In many metro areas public transport is far cheaper than gas and insurance let alone a car payment. On most of the collage campuses I have been on, a license was also not needed as they had public transport as well. And besides, if you had a car you spent most of your time driving around with friends or being asked for rides anyway.

Also, not a large faction but kids going into the military might not need a car for 2 to 3 years depending on deployments and command. Some get some right away, then get shipped out, while the car sits outside in the weather full of fuel for 9 months to a year. Most just avoid buying one for awhile.

Not to mention a huge proportion of my generation strives to be green and avoid pollution. But in general, Green or not green, often times you simply do not need one.

Personally, I was emancipated at 15 and had a class CM1 by 16. A bike is about as cheap as you can get in terms of gas. And i was working full time and not in school so I could not rely on public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living