Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 04:54 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,975,574 times

Advertisements

Drought? This is our newest RTD bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The other problem with the law governing use of Colorado River water is that there are several Indian tribes that also use that water, and by law, they have first dibs, since they were in the region first. So technically, if water became sparse, they could claim all the Colorado River water. They're entitled to a certain number of acre-feet/year, and they have the priority call. If they took all they're entitled to, there wouldn't be enough left for anyone else. This issue was under adjudication in New Mexico for over 40 years, and finally got settled a few years ago, but it's an odd settlement, because it doesn't acknowledge the drought the region is in, and the resulting water scarcity.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is collecting rain water being seen as illegal?-rtd-bus.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Depends what part of country you live in especially now. So many areas with little average rainfall that a moderate draught can have a lot of effects from just population growth versus past times.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:12 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,009,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Depends what part of country you live in especially now. So many areas with little average rainfall that a moderate draught can have a lot of effects from just population growth versus past times.
I don't want to be a word nazi, but that's a funny faux pas.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,009,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're not legal in Colorado. I don't know if that's the only state that bans them, or if there are others. It's not about the state "owning" water. It's about hydrology, and a smart state that doesn't want their surface and underground water stores depleted, like California is allowing.
In my area, they are being required. We need to control storm water runoff to mitigate pollution. Colorado is the only state with this screwy law and I don't believe I've ever heard of it being enforced.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times
Goes back a long lone time to when monarchs owned everything.

government thinks it owns all 'natural' i.e. not man-made resources...government owns all wildlife and rain/snow from the sky. the EPA thinks it owns all 'navigable' (defined very broadly) waterways, and wetlands as well.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 PM

840 posts, read 777,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontyrogof View Post
Such as Tallahassee Florida.

My storm water utility seems to like it. We get educational materials about rain barrels sometimes with our bill. I found this article that confirms the support community wide: Harvesting Rainwater

I got a grant through their TAPP program to plant a rain garden fed by my eaves and gutters.
TAPP – Think About Personal Pollution | TAPP - Think About Personal Pollution

Here's my Youtube playlist about my own work with rain water catchment and local storm water problems:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...b-CbOcljXzrJDR

People around here don't even freak out about mosquitoes. We introduce fish or attract tadpoles to the containers, or just use mosquito dunks. Our gardens bring hummingbirds, dragonflies, you know, mosquito predators.

The people I have read about getting in trouble were not just collecting the rainwater that initially landed on their own property . . . They had a streambed of sorts that runs through their property, and were trying to keep all the water coming down it & into their yard, for themselves. . . . when it was not going to get dumped into the ocean. Other people had a need for it, and, he did not have the right to keep it from them.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
Western Water law is an entity unto itself. It is designed for scarcity not abundance. Distribution is not dependent on the availability of water but only on who got there first. Look up the Water law and be as astonished as anyone else from a water rich region.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,975,574 times
Well that is a bit different than collecting roof run off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
The people I have read about getting in trouble were not just collecting the rainwater that initially landed on their own property . . . They had a streambed of sorts that runs through their property, and were trying to keep all the water coming down it & into their yard, for themselves. . . . when it was not going to get dumped into the ocean. Other people had a need for it, and, he did not have the right to keep it from them.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:05 PM

335 posts, read 377,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Water is going to become scarcer and scarcer and there will be more and more laws about it. There just isn't enough to go around and it's not like you can do without it.
With the oceans all around us we will be scarce water. They only need to built desal plants and we have all we want.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I don't want to be a word nazi, but that's a funny faux pas.
Face it you love being a Nazi ;LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living