Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,436,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There just isn't enough to go around and it's not like you can do without it.
but it never leaves the earth it just goes around and around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,104,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Yeah, until Google earth snaps a photo of it for the world to see. I agree about the law being stupid. What's next? The ground water that seeps into wells and springs isn't yours either? I'd better not give them any ideas.

It isnt any longer,, here in California every well will eventually be permitted and monitored and taxed

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,662,488 times
They are giving away rain barrels in Los Angeles and environs.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,377,675 times
If it's illegal in the West, somebody better tell Tucson. Because here we're encouraged financially to collect and reuse the rainwater that streams off our roofs.

Single-Family Residential Rainwater Harvesting Incentives Rebate Program | Official website of the City of Tucson

Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 PM

19,704 posts, read 9,650,954 times
Originally Posted by hotzcatz
Water is going to become scarcer and scarcer and there will be more and more laws about it. There just isn't enough to go around and it's not like you can do without it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, maybe someone should tell this to those who are taking 2-3 showers per day (another thread on CD Forum). Maybe they would be relieved then that others aren't taking a daily shower?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 PM

102,368 posts, read 108,666,141 times
In Colorado they don't allow rain catchment because they want the rain to go into surface water sources (rivers, lakes), and also to percolate down into the aquifer. California, with its aquifers seriously depleting due to agricultural over-use and drought, should do the same.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 PM

102,368 posts, read 108,666,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If it's illegal in the West, somebody better tell Tucson. Because here we're encouraged financially to collect and reuse the rainwater that streams off our roofs.

Single-Family Residential Rainwater Harvesting Incentives Rebate Program | Official website of the City of Tucson
Same in NM. Water catchment is encouraged. Water utilities even sell big rain barrels to customers.

This isn't about Western water law. This is about some states managing water resources according to their needs.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,770,805 times
I will admit to being a bit perplexed by this thread and the talk of laws and taxes and legalities of collecting rain water. I found the answer. I am in the Seattle area. I see that folks are talking about SoCal and NM in their posts. We don't have much issue with water shortages here...our 2500 gallon tank is already 1/2 full since we installed it last weekend. I cannot imagine how it is in an area where water is such a commodity. I was confused because I kept seeing folks talk about the west and the Western Water Law. I'm in the west...as west as you can go without hitting salt water, but the water issues aren't something we worry about.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,243,329 times
Google keywords "Bush family aquifer investments" and follow the money trail.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 PM

888 posts, read 456,720 times
In Southern California, a lot of water runoff is diverted into flood control channels which take it to the ocean. Flood control channels are necessary, even though there is not much rain overall. When there is a lot of rainfall in a short amount of time, floods can occur causing death and property damage.

Some communities are starting to take seriously the need to capture water to use for irrigation and to divert it into aquifers. Parts of this region rely on aquifers for some of their drinking water and have catch basins. Rain water is diverted from flood control channels into huge pits so it can seep back into the ground into the aquifer.

Water is the next gold globally, not just in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living