Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:55 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,822,415 times

Advertisements

If the rain water collection was merely a 55 gallon barrel and the city was banning this, then this is about greed. Once the 55 gallon barrel is full, the rest of the rain water will run off the roof to the soil and eventually cycle again. Collected rain water is then used for various purposes. For each gallon of rain water they use, that's less money the cities utilities will get from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,558,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I've heard about this happening in some states much like have a solar panel is illegal in some.
What gives the government the right to ban/ make these things illegal? Is this a growing trend?

Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water - NaturalNews.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jjxg8f3Gq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarEg-X0WnQ

That is awful just awful. Water is free and would help water shortage problems in many states as well.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:31 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,825,684 times
Fresh water is the new oil. And in some places, it will become more expensive than oil, going forward.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,051,958 times
Probably has more to do with your sewerage situation. You have a water meter and not a sewer meter, so if you are using rain water you are not paying your fair share of sewer bill. Not sure how to address that?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:11 AM

16,584 posts, read 19,788,610 times
Yea, I don't get this either. Where I live, we can get a break on our Property Taxes by collecting water and making sure it DOESN'T run off our properties carrying trash, pollution and chemicals INTO our watershed.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,542,379 times
Different rules and laws are needed for different areas of the country. Isn't that why we have local, state, and federal laws? The federal laws cannot work for all areas of the US. Some areas get too much water and don't know what to do with it. Other areas don't get enough and need every drop. Where I am now, I pay a monthly water bill, it is the same every month no matter how much I use. The reason is the infrastructure (and salaries of employees) make up 99% of the cost of getting me water. The water cost is 1% of my bill. The bill is higher if you have sewer, but it is still a flat rate. This is NOT the case everywhere in this state though.

If you are near the ocean, it is more expensive than being able to drill a shallow well, but desal plants can provide fresh water. Reverse Osmosis systems too. (RO water as I have seen it in areas with poor quality ground water) This is how I think we will avert a war because of water. Smaller, inexpensive to operate, water treatment plants are also being developed with some in service already... I'll find links if you want, but you can google yourself too. Of course NONE of this works if you have NOTHING to work with. Maybe instead of a keystone XL pipeline, those areas need a water pipeline from the states that are drowning?

Having said all that it is really a sad state we are in, when you can't even use the water that falls on you. Some of these restrictions are sounding very communistic.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:00 PM

10,123 posts, read 6,486,241 times
Wow. Where I have a small shed/cabin on a lake that is adjacent to a creek in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, I am mandated by the county to collect any rainwater that comes off the building structure in rainwater barrels. In fact, I made sure to get two barrels to minimize the amount the would overflow and go back into the lake. There are no other structures on the property and nothing that would contaminate the water except the native vegetation, but them's the rules. I use the rainwater to keep my county-mandated plantings alive, lest they penalize me for not fulfilling my Best Management Practices agreement.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,736,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I will admit to being a bit perplexed by this thread and the talk of laws and taxes and legalities of collecting rain water. I found the answer. I am in the Seattle area. I see that folks are talking about SoCal and NM in their posts. We don't have much issue with water shortages here...our 2500 gallon tank is already 1/2 full since we installed it last weekend. I cannot imagine how it is in an area where water is such a commodity. I was confused because I kept seeing folks talk about the west and the Western Water Law. I'm in the west...as west as you can go without hitting salt water, but the water issues aren't something we worry about.
Step east 100 miles and things change completely. People who live in cities rarely know what is going on in the world. Even in Seattle, ground water has long since been contaminated by sewage, industrial chemicals and salt. You don't have as much water as you think you do. I also just saw that Mt. Baker only has 16% of normal snowpack and the Olympics only have 11% of normal snow pack, so you may find yourself faced with water restrictions this summer.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Literally unthinkable in the water rich eastern half of the country.
Yep, if we get hard rain I have a creek that forms in my side yard that will run or days. The drainage system in my basement will run for a week. Please come take it. There is one section in the woods if it doesn't rain for weeks you can dig down a few feet and the hole will fill with water almost immediately

Old 03-03-2015, 12:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,736,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Fresh water is the new oil. And in some places, it will become more expensive than oil, going forward.
Water already costs much more than oil if you buy bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living