Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Guess my line of reasoning-you use lights more in winter, when it's cold, so heat from a light bulb is not an issue.

But then where I live, I don't think of AC as a necessity. I realize there's parts of the country where this isn't true tho'.
I don't prefer to add to utility companies profits by not being as energy efficient as I could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm glad that LEDs are available. CFLs were horrible.
And they were sold to us as being the End All

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Nah, the 60s are at the dollar stores, but they don't have filaments that stand up. However, the 1960s are long gone.
Too bad, I dug up an old made in the USA GE bulb from the back of my shed 15 years ago and haven't replaced it yet. In the mean time I'm replacing Chinese bulbs yearly

Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 PM

687 posts, read 915,456 times
I'm an electrician and I think it's silly that anyone would not use LED bulbs.

You can get them for $6.50 at Home Depot now. I can get them even cheaper at the contractor-only supply houses. Sure a "regular" 60W incandescent bulb costs around 50¢, but it'll cost you 10x as much in power usage.

The LED's pay for themselves in less than a year in rooms where you commonly use light, sometimes within a couple months! So if you're whining about your utility bills and you haven't switched over, you have zero room to complain about them. It's your own dang fault.

.....and you'll never have to replace them for the next 3 decades. This is especially nice when it comes to outside lighting or anywhere you'll need to use a ladder to reach.

Quote:
and six 4w for the candle opera style bulbs
Candle Opera Hilarious!

Last edited by mapmd; 05-23-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 11:51 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
I just replace all my bulbs as they go out with the newer, better bulbs.

I'm on year 7 with my oldest CFLs and they seem as strong as they ever were. I recently got through a big package of CFLs and just put in my first LED bulbs.

Why anyone misses those old bulbs is beyond me. I have one dimmer lamp that I use a halogen in because CFLs don't dim well but I think an LED bulb is in order when that one goes out.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:01 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't prefer to add to utility companies profits by not being as energy efficient as I could be.
neither do I.

My goal is to have enough light to see. I have replaced the incandescent with LEDs as the others burn out.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Try this term. A single 200w incandescent bulb on the wall next to my front door throws more light than my neighbors CFL spotlights.
That could be because a) they haven't heated up yet or b)they aren't the equivalent wattage. That said outside is one place I use incandescent because of the warming up issue and the CFL's use more energy at startup anyway. Since the outside lights are typically only on for short time it's pointless to have CFL for that use.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
You can get them for $6.50 at Home Depot now. I can get them even cheaper at the contractor-only supply houses. Sure a "regular" 60W incandescent bulb costs around 50¢, but it'll cost you 10x as much in power usage.
The problem is lighting makes up only percentage of the average persons bill, that's not to say you shouldn't try and reduce it but don't expect some huge drop. Running the dryer a few times extra will wipe out those savings.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Why anyone misses those old bulbs is beyond me.
There is lot of people using them for things other light, they are ideal for an area you want a small amount of heat. For example if you have a coal stove corrosion is an issue when it's not in use. Putting a 60w lightbulb inside and just letting it on for the summer season is a very cheap and easy way to help eliminate this issue.

Other uses might be incubation, keeping propane storage area warm etc.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
When I say 'throw light' I guess the best explanation I can give is the how dark the shadow is: the darker the shadow, the more light to make it. (Does that make sense?)

I've got one incandescent that's great to stitch by and pretty accurate for color selection, although I still try to do that by daylight.

I've yet to find an LED that's as good.

If it was 100+ yrs ago, I might see whale oil light as an improvement.
That interesting because in this area LEDs are far superior to incandescent. Incandescent bulbs are essentially point sources, which leads to shadows. LED can and usually are be configured as either line or plane sources. If you haven't found that you haven't really looked.

In terms of color selection, compared to what? Natural light? Not even close. What you are describing is called color temperature. Most incandescent bulbs produce light in the 2700 to 2800 K range. Outdoor light is 5000 to 6500 K. LEDs can be purchase in discrete ranges between 3000 and 5000 K, much closer to true outside light.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sometimes the mule is the only way to get there.

I have several antique fixtures that I can no longer use because only an incandescent bulb will fit. It ticks me off that the gubmint decided for me to throw perfectly good light fixtures in the trash, all for the want of a 40W incandescent bulb.
LED are made in all standard bases. We just replace the candelabra base bulbs in out dinning rooms with beautiful LED bulbs. BTW the law that you are complaining about doesn't restrict small base bulbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living