Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And they were sold to us as being the End All

:
I remember reading that cfl's were a transition product to fill the time until led technology ramped up production. The coming 'oled' flexible display screens and indirect lighting were in the dreaming stage more than 30 years ago. I am looking forward to lighting that may be the full ceiling or partial walls of light of variable intensity with no hot spots. OLED lighting: introduction and market status | OLED-Info (not the best link, but a start)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LED are made in all standard bases. We just replace the candelabra base bulbs in out dinning rooms with beautiful LED bulbs. BTW the law that you are complaining about doesn't restrict small base bulbs.
Don't be obtuse. I wasn't talking about the base; I was talking about the bulb itself. CFL and LED bulbs don't fit into one of my ceiling fans, for instance, and a 100W bulb is too powerful. I've tried them all. I need a 60w incandescent bulb.

I also have several beautiful antique Rookwood pottery ceiling fixtures with clip-on glass shades. Nothing but an incandescent bulb works with those shades because the clip does not fit around the newer bulbs.

Got a remedy for that?

Other lamps I've been able to fudge using a teardrop-shaped bulb with a standard base.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:21 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Somewhere I've seen some LED/CFL lights that were put inside an incandescent bulb shape so folks who have clip on shades can still use them.

Although, here's an opportunity for someone to make an adapter between CFLs and clip ons. Hmm, if you took an incandescent bulb and pushed it halfway sideways into some plaster and let the plaster set, then you'd have a mold. Then layer it with what to make the bulb shape? Something translucent. And it would have to have some sort of interior arms to fit into the CFL curl so it would stay in place? Or would it fit around the base? Hmm. Interesting little puzzle. Probably easier to have a large non-metallic washer that would fit around the base of the bulb with two petals that would come down to fit the clip on. Well, we don't have any Rookwood shades although they sound lovely.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:05 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,265 times
Does this mean we're going to have to go with those horrible new things that give off a dead white light that always reminds me of doctor's office waiting rooms? I'm going back to candles and kerosene lanterns in that case, I literally cannot tolerate that color of light, the spectrum has some direct effect on the depression and panic center of my brain.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:28 PM

6,792 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I HATE HATE HATE CFLs and won't EVER have one inside of my house, however, I've found LEDs that provider a softer white light. I also HATE the LEDs that have the blueish doctor-office style lighting. Just take a look around at Home Depot. I think the LEDs I buy are CREE, but they are the softer light that are really close to incandescent.

Yes, like others, if I had a choice, I'd buy the incandescents.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I HATE HATE HATE CFLs and won't EVER have one inside of my house, however, I've found LEDs that provider a softer white light. I also HATE the LEDs that have the blueish doctor-office style lighting. Just take a look around at Home Depot. I think the LEDs I buy are CREE, but they are the softer light that are really close to incandescent.

Yes, like others, if I had a choice, I'd buy the incandescents.
They make plenty of LEDs now that are similar to the CREE floodlights, and prices will continue to decrease. They are a far better choice, 80% more efficient than an incandescent. The LED technology has been around for awhile, but perfecting the soft white light proved to be more difficult than initially thought.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
They make plenty of LEDs now that are similar to the CREE floodlights, and prices will continue to decrease. They are a far better choice, 80% more efficient than an incandescent. The LED technology has been around for awhile, but perfecting the soft white light proved to be more difficult than initially thought.

CREE LED bulbs in the shape of incandescents have been at HD/Lowe's for a couple of years. I use them on timers around the house and they beat CFLs to a pulp. If They had a real outdoor spotlight equivalent to 100w incandescent/halogen I would be pleased.

I still use my halogen torchiere in my office. It's 200w and bright as hell when turned on full but I usually have it down to a glow.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I have several antique fixtures that I can no longer use because only an incandescent bulb will fit. It ticks me off that the gubmint decided for me to throw perfectly good light fixtures in the trash, all for the want of a 40W incandescent bulb.
I can't imagine not finding an LED bulb that fits, we just came back from home depot last week to buy a bulb for the new lamp post we installed. Lots of colors and base options for LED bulbs.

I bought a 40w equivalent bulb and I can't tell the difference between it and an old standard bulb.

too bad an LED bulb can still run $10.... but I remember the days that CFL was more than that not too long ago.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:20 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't be obtuse. I wasn't talking about the base; I was talking about the bulb itself. CFL and LED bulbs don't fit into one of my ceiling fans, for instance, and a 100W bulb is too powerful. I've tried them all. I need a 60w incandescent bulb.

I also have several beautiful antique Rookwood pottery ceiling fixtures with clip-on glass shades. Nothing but an incandescent bulb works with those shades because the clip does not fit around the newer bulbs.

Got a remedy for that?

Other lamps I've been able to fudge using a teardrop-shaped bulb with a standard base.
This is certainly not true. You might have to find different shades, but life is full of challenges. But nobody really cares if you want to keep using incandescent bulbs.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LEDs are so cool and they use so little energy. Buying an incandescent bulb is like riding a mule to work.

Tell that to the museums and art houses that stocked up on Thomas Edison's greatest invention: the incandescent bulb.

Oh, and we did, too--and they're the good ones, not Chinese krap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living