Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
All the power lines in my area are under ground and in the 15 years I have lived here I have never had a lose of power. Besides I do have emergency power back up, so even if I lost power it's not a big problem.
Grid power in our town goes down at least once every month. I am on a portion of our road that has power lines, about half our road has no power lines. Vast majority of parcels in our town have no access to power lines.

As I understand it, running power lines below grade is a lot more expensive, so it is only economic if homes are close together. How many miles apart are homes in your town? How far to the nearest neighbor? I think that it is not economic to bury cable in a rural area. It only makes sense in a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 01:20 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
I'd jump up and down for joy at .06 KWH, anything less would be just amazing. .16 KWH (after all the taxes and fees)...

I do the math for Solar often as well... Not quite cheap enough to make the jump, but it is getting there. (FOR ME). Of course as they say YMMV.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:32 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It is all SOLAR......well, actually hydro. But without the sun the water cycle would not function.

Chelan County, Washington. We have the second lowest electric rates in the country at .027 KwH. The lowest are across the Columbia River in Douglas County at .023 Kwh. When we moved from Douglas County to Chelan County I was shocked at the increase in my bill and did call to complain. I cannot imagine paying .06 Kwh.

Here is the article that explains everything. That surplus electricity has also paid for municipal broadband systems in all three counties.

Cheapest electricity in the entire country

For more information:

Douglas County PUD 2013 Rates (January 1, 2013)

Rates and Policies | Chelan County Public Utility District
You defiantly have the cheapest rates, that I know of. With rates this low, the smartest people would have an all electric home. Hydro has always been the cheapest way to produce power.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:40 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Grid power in our town goes down at least once every month. I am on a portion of our road that has power lines, about half our road has no power lines. Vast majority of parcels in our town have no access to power lines.

As I understand it, running power lines below grade is a lot more expensive, so it is only economic if homes are close together. How many miles apart are homes in your town? How far to the nearest neighbor? I think that it is not economic to bury cable in a rural area. It only makes sense in a city.
I live in a private area of about 30 homes, all homes have 2-20 acres. Surrounding this area is all farm land. The nearest town is 3 miles with a population of 2400. My nearest neighbor is about 100 yards and my second nearest is about 200 yards. I can not see any of my neighbors because the whole area is virgin woods.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've seen several articles claiming that solar is nearly competitive to power off the grid. My guess is, that if this was true, then there would be a lot more options available. I would think, if it was almost as cheap as power from the local power company, that you could buy kits or systems that could be assembled and set up. Apparently, that's not the case.
You're still comparing apples with oranges here.

You're not willing to give up the grid. As long as you are connected, you will continue your wasteful habits - leaving lights on in rooms where no one is using, buying bigger refrigerators than you actually need, running laundry machines with a half load or less, leaving small appliances plugged in when not in use - because you know that the power is there, and you can afford to pay the bill. You have no real incentive to cut back. The grid is simply too convenient, and too many people are 'addicted' to available power.

If you were living off the grid, the first time the batteries ran out of power in the middle of the evening, you would learn how much (rather, how little) power you really need. If you purchased only enough solar to power what you really need, the cost would be ridiculously low. Whoever posted here that they'd need to spend $75K on a solar array, was trying to replicate what they'd use while connected to the grid. When you're not connected, you don't need all that power. Ask me how I know.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
'Ghost' or 'Phantom electrical loads', 'Vampire drains' can add up a lot of electrical consumption also.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

You're not willing to give up the grid. As long as you are connected, you will continue your wasteful habits - leaving lights on in rooms where no one is using, buying bigger refrigerators than you actually need, running laundry machines with a half load or less, leaving small appliances plugged in when not in use - because you know that the power is there, and you can afford to pay the bill. You have no real incentive to cut back. The grid is simply too convenient, and too many people are 'addicted' to available power.
Off-grid....you become addicted to sunshine. You wait for a sunny day to do the laundry. Even a half load is done since tomorrow might be cloudy.

And then when the generator comes on the recharge the batteries.....you party like 1999!!! Run the laundry, turn on the stereo to high, turn on the TV, run the vacuum cleaner, etc. etc.

So it is just a "different" addiction.

But your point is well taken....conservation. Everybody can live like they are on solar!! It is really simple and you save gobs of money if you live in a high cost area for electricity!!!

When we move to Arizona I won't take my solar panels, but I will take my LED lights, barrier strips, and propane furnace, stove, and fridge.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:49 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When we move to Arizona I won't take my solar panels, but I will take my LED lights, barrier strips, and propane furnace, stove, and fridge.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
NorEaster wrote:

Quote:

If you were living off the grid, the first time the batteries ran out of power in the middle of the evening, you would learn how much (rather, how little) power you really need. If you purchased only enough solar to power what you really need, the cost would be ridiculously low. Whoever posted here that they'd need to spend $75K on a solar array, was trying to replicate what they'd use while connected to the grid. When you're not connected, you don't need all that power. Ask me how I know.
You have an interesting post. I'll agree, that some of your observations are right. We do leave on some things like clocks that run all the time. We run the aircleaners most of the time because of my wife's allergies. I also leave on nights at light for safety. BUt you sound kind of judgmental. How do you know if I have a big refrigerator? In fact, I don't. And we don't leave on lights we don't need. I'm actually a bit of a miser when it comes to household expenses. But I'm also realistic. And summer time in Texas means we need central air to survive. Solar power is not going to be able to run an AC system to cool a 2000 sq. Ft. house when its 105 and the evening cools down to 97 or its still 80 when the sun comes up. You'd need one heck of huge solar system and big batteries to run it.

So before you jump on people, you might consider that you don't know their exact circumstances, and maybe slow down a little before you condemn people that aren't like you.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
NorEaster wrote:

........... We do leave on some things like clocks that run all the time. We run the aircleaners most of the time because of my wife's allergies. I also leave on nights at light for safety............

So before you jump on people, you might consider that you don't know their exact circumstances, and maybe slow down a little before you condemn people that aren't like you.
Replace your clocks with ones that run on ONE AA battery. I replace those batteries every six months.

Outside lights at night do absolutely nothing for safety!!! Replace those with motion detector lights.

Don't forget to put the TV's on barrier strips.

Get one of these and find out how much that STUFF is costing you to run 24/7. You might be surprise how much "extra" money you have at the end of the month.

P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor - Low Temperature Alarms - Amazon.com

It is not judgemental......those are such minor things. Try them. You won't notice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living