Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Why? ... it's been running flawlessly (and cheaply) since 2007.

I mean, without power, even pour main house propane heat won't work. Luckily, we've not lost power, even in hurricanes, in the 15 years we've lived here.
1) you don't live in Maine (mtns / remote rural, where 5 - 10 days w/o power might be the norm)
2) you are lucky. I too have not had a problem with my own unit (Have been using them in Asia for many yrs). I have 3 rentals with mini splits and renters have BIG problems with them (and current quality can be poor (renters and heaters)). My most recent units have NO manual controls... the remote or the IR board goes bad and you are cold (motel / frozen pipes, thawed freezer) or hot, (bearable),

My most recent renter / mini split snafu was 13 days w/o heat while we waited for a $3 part.

There are many alternative heating options for backup. My propane works terrific, and can use a sim[ple invertor to run the fan if you consider that to be necessary for comfort.

YMMV, so do what you feel comfortable. OP has a wood stove... that is fine with me, does it suit you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 12:23 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have 3 rentals with mini splits and renters have BIG problems with them (and current quality can be poor (renters and heaters)). My most recent units have NO manual controls... the remote or the IR board goes bad and you are cold (motel / frozen pipes, thawed freezer) or hot, (bearable),

My most recent renter / mini split snafu was 13 days w/o heat while we waited for a $3 part.
What brand(s) are you using? Do you thing it is an isolated issue, or a bigger brand issue with quality or similar?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
Speaking of power outages....

For heat there's always a wood stove (we have one also) but I am personally without both water and hot water in a power outage until I get a 240v generator. Any thoughts on how you will handle that?

I'm not thrilled at this option but thinking of one of these hooked up to propane:
http://www.centralmainediesel.com/or...sp?page=H04585

I wouldn't run the mini-split on it... Not sure if it's OK to run the heat pump hot water heater on that, either. It might not be good for the compressor. I could run the hot water heater in resistance mode, I guess. House is already wired to take a whole house generator manually.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:45 PM

My plan is to have some sort of generator at some point. In a perfect world, I will have it setup in my garage. That means I need to have a garage first.

A generator for us would only provide the essentials, so no hot water, but water if we need it to run a pump. There is a strong chance that our property may not need a pump at all times do to its topography.

Those propane units look interesting. I have yet to do any research on generators. I wonder how they compare to diesel and/or gas one?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
My plan is to have some sort of generator at some point. In a perfect world, I will have it setup in my garage. That means I need to have a garage first.

A generator for us would only provide the essentials, so no hot water, but water if we need it to run a pump. There is a strong chance that our property may not need a pump at all times do to its topography.

Those propane units look interesting. I have yet to do any research on generators. I wonder how they compare to diesel and/or gas one?

You can get a decent gas/propane generator for not too much. The advantage to propane is the fuel will never go bad.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
You can get a decent gas/propane generator for not too much. The advantage to propane is the fuel will never go bad.
Good to know, thanks

Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
If you already have a propane tank then you already have a decent amount of fuel sitting around that will not go bad - no gas cans to deal with and no refilling a generator every X hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living