Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:11 PM

706 posts, read 757,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I do the same thing and recycle everything I can. I don't need to pay for garbage service, as I rarely have anything needing to go to the dump. The franchised garbage hauler in our part of town also picks up recyclables. Since they make a little money from them, they allow non-subscribers like me to put out a basket of mixed recyclables (not including glass) every two weeks, at no charge. But they don't accept plastic bags, although all grocery stores let you put them in their barrels. The rare item of glass I have, goes into the appropriate bin of a nearby friend.
This is how I recycled my plastic bags before my city started accepting them. I'm grateful that I can now add them to my recycling tote.

Quote:
The store patrons in the no plastic bag town nearby, which is dominated by a large university with a terminal case of PC to the extreme, would probably subject me to public shaming, if they spotted a plastic bag poking out of my pocket. Imagine, if you will, how it would be if a teen-aged boy at a religious school had a condom fall out of his pocket during communion.
Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't understand the logic in choosing a cloth shopping bag that isn't washable.
I don't think everyone realizes that these bags can harbor bacteria and need to be washed. Where do you find the washable bags? I haven't seen any that look washable in the grocery.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
They're nylon bags (yes, technically plastic, but not single use), and they're shaped like the plastic bags you get at the grocery store just a little larger. I received them as a gift, but I've seen similar bags for sale at places like Container Store, Target, etc. My produce bags are cotton mesh, and the bulk bags are hemp. I believe I bought them at Whole Foods. All go in the laundry with the kitchen linens between visits to the store.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:34 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I don't think everyone realizes that these bags can harbor bacteria and need to be washed. Where do you find the washable bags? I haven't seen any that look washable in the grocery.
They're all washable.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Plastic farmers? Seriously?

Clearly, you know nothing about logging or tree farmers.

You do know that trees can be planted and grown to be harvested again, right? They are PLANTS.

By your logic, we should never eat vegetables either.
However, the trucks which carry them around as logs and as bags run on diesel. That's not renewable.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:19 PM

117 posts, read 117,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
If you do a web search for canvas tote bags, you'll find many places to buy them. One of our smaller bags (smaller as in closer to a handled plastic bag size, rather than standard tote) came from my MIL who got it at Whole Foods. We don't have one of those near here, and our local stores all sell the "recycled plastic" weave ones.

I got my produce bags from Non-Plastic Bags | Life Without Plastic. They also have a few more on their Eating/Food Bags page.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:12 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Plastic farmers? Seriously?

Clearly, you know nothing about logging or tree farmers.

You do know that trees can be planted and grown to be harvested again, right? They are PLANTS.

By your logic, we should never eat vegetables either.
It depends on how LONG it takes to renew the resource in comparison to how long you use the product. If you only use a paper bag once for a 1/2 hour to get your groceries home and that took partt a tree that required years to grow...that is STUPID. At least reserve renewable resources for things that last. It's a little tougher when it comes to food but most crops grow in weeks or months, not years. Fruit trees don't count because they are "perennials".

Old 07-23-2016, 07:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,839 times
As a smartass bagger once asked me, "Kill a tree, or choke a fish?"

Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
However, the trucks which carry them around as logs and as bags run on diesel. That's not renewable.
No need to run any diesel vehicle on dino diesel. There are many green options for diesel fuel equivalent.

40 yrs and 3million miles on my daily driver. 50 mpg, no dinosaurs or toxic batteries required.
My latest alternative fuel spare vehicle cost me $35 for the whole car. It will last the rest of my life.

Definately do not use Plastic or paper bags. Re-use fabric bags are the way to go. Wash them using your antique washboard. (Or dog powered treadmill wash machine.)

Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No need to run any diesel vehicle on dino diesel. There are many green options for diesel fuel equivalent.

40 yrs and 3million miles on my daily driver. 50 mpg, no dinosaurs or toxic batteries required.
My latest alternative fuel spare vehicle cost me $35 for the whole car. It will last the rest of my life.

Definately do not use Plastic or paper bags. Re-use fabric bags are the way to go. Wash them using your antique washboard. (Or dog powered treadmill wash machine.)
And which of those renewable options does the logging company which ships the trees, the paper comapny that makes the paper, the bag company which makes the bags, and the company which delivers to your supermarket use?

Stealthrabbit, your claims to ridiculous economic feats have been disproved many times, in many different forums. Your car didn't cost $35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living