Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:36 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times

Advertisements

There are communities of people that live off the grid in New Mexico. Basically they are living in homes that are built out of recycled materials and from what I understand those people are nearly 100% self sufficient since they provide their own power via solar panels, have greenhouses, plus they recycle their own waste water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Why does having a septic mean you're on the grid?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:49 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Why does having a septic mean you're on the grid?
Well, for me, it would probably mean having to connect to and use city water. Plugging into and using a utility means that you are not technically being self-sufficient.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:00 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times
do you plan on homesteading also growing fruits and veggies and raising animals for food. if you cut down on the power suckers coffee maker toaster ect ect and go all led lighting you can do it on the cheap pretty much. and depending on the size of your home to. though i highly recomend a honda generator to charge the batteries on a cloudy day and to run things like a microwave and washer and dryer combo ect ect. and i think that i would go with a 12 volt system and maybe have a few 120 volt outlets

Old 08-07-2016, 10:42 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Modern day off grid ?

Try homesteading. Appalachians understand true off grid living. Same with folk in Alaska...

It's about location. if memory serves... Taxes are not in their livlihood. Can't get blood from a turnip.

A documentary about a young chap that bought an old school bus... Lived entirely off the wilderness... Berries... Water... And on occasion... Fish and possum. Kept a diary and was esctatic about enjoying life entirely on his terms. It can be done.

Modernist gridders want the electricity and power sources to cover their survival items... Warmth, coolness, food prep, or tech items... Rather a different way of keeping some comforts...

Retain that dream... And find that place.. It's out there...

Old 08-08-2016, 03:16 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Modern day off grid ?

Try homesteading. Appalachians understand true off grid living. Same with folk in Alaska...

It's about location. if memory serves... Taxes are not in their livlihood. Can't get blood from a turnip.

A documentary about a young chap that bought an old school bus... Lived entirely off the wilderness... Berries... Water... And on occasion... Fish and possum. Kept a diary and was esctatic about enjoying life entirely on his terms. It can be done.

Modernist gridders want the electricity and power sources to cover their survival items... Warmth, coolness, food prep, or tech items... Rather a different way of keeping some comforts...

Retain that dream... And find that place.. It's out there...
I've seen cheap land in Texas, but my dad advised against it, because his main concern is that it won't have water. Water is an essential. I guess my best option is to find a place that already has a well or a spring.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:54 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I've seen cheap land in Texas, but my dad advised against it, because his main concern is that it won't have water. Water is an essential. I guess my best option is to find a place that already has a well or a spring.
Lots of people drill their own wells.

However, I would just get an RV. They are mobile, comfortable, and cheaper than a house. Then you don't have to mess with a septic system and well water. Use rain barrels to collect water and go into town to dump the septic and get water. Tons of snowbirds do this all the time. You use solar panels for electricity.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4475192_live-off-grid-rv.html

Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Well, I read that composting toilets are illegal in Alabama, and I'm guessing this even applies to when staying in a camper or RV, which I think is ridiculous. Yes, I would like to get the laws changed, and I would like to be able to buy a reasonable plot of land, park a tiny house on it, and enjoy some almost completely off-grid living close to town, but I don't know where to begin in making that request.
........" close to town "..

That might be a major deal breaker

Old 08-08-2016, 09:06 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Well, for me, it would probably mean having to connect to and use city water. Plugging into and using a utility means that you are not technically being self-sufficient.
Not sure where you get that idea. I have septic and get water from my creek. Air conditioning is your biggest challenge. It uses significant electricity.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Off grid could mean a whole bunch of different things. And how much of off grid can be accomplished has a lot to do with what you have to work with.
What is the main goal here? To free yourself of as many bills as possible? To be environmentally friendly? To remove yourself from society?
Are you looking for a new piece of property to do this? Are you wanting to convert an existing home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living