Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I wanna live off-grid as well. However, I don't know where to begin and I don't know if its possible in WA State.
You are in a state that has GREAT off grid options / support / legislation, and if you are grid tied.... the utility must pay you RETAIL for power you sell back!

Get on touch, or attend some programs here:
Sustainable Living Center

Solar Washington, Advancing Solar Energy in Washington State
Washington Solar | SEIA

while I very much dislike commercial companies leveraging Government incentives... fyi (information only...U R shark bait - proceed at your own risk)
Incentives and Credits
4 Reasons Why Solar Power Works in Cloudy Oregon & Washington - Sunbridge Solar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 10:46 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I doubt that's the only thing I would have to do to avoid a fine.
I'm not talking about a fine, I'm talking about you and your family dead.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm not talking about a fine, I'm talking about you and your family dead.
Hopefully, avoiding the fines would take care of health and safety, too.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
There are plenty of counties that are pretty remote and welcoming new residents for the increase in tax base. Jobs tend to quite scarce. You may need a well....septic system....and solar power. May not be cheap.

I love solar power when I'm not having any issues. Getting set up is expensive. Batteries are expensive. The other electronics tend to last 4-8 years. We have all been waiting for a break through in battery technology since forever.

Neighbors can make or break an off grid living experience. Could get a good Samaritan. Could get a lawless vulture.

I like country living a lot. I need a little more income and jobs are very scarce.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 AM

447 posts, read 651,493 times
seems plenty of people manage in states like alaska idaho and maine it can be done from what i have seen and heard id love to someday

Old 08-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hopefully, avoiding the fines would take care of health and safety, too.
You were describing building a death trap. Amateurs who know nothing about construction do that all the time. I know of one guy who bootlegged a couple of bedrooms into his garage, but he didn't want to get a permit, so didn't change the outside of the house by adding doors or windows. When the house caught on fire, his teenage daughters were trapped in the bedrooms. When the fire department arrived they could still hear the girls screaming, but by the time they got the chainsaw out and cut through the walls the kids were dead.

The building code requires every habitable space to have emergency egress to the outside. You cannot have an exiting path that goes through another room, because that room might be on fire. If you have a basement wall, it's a great place to put a pantry, furnace room, laundry or bathroom, but not a bedroom or family room. It's why daylight (walk-out) basements are so popular. You can stick the utilities on the back wall and the front walls are safe living space.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Death trap...amateurs...bootlegged...fire...teenage daughters...fire department...girls screaming...kids were dead...building codes...emergency egress...fire...safe living place.

This is either rehearsed or you are one talented writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You were describing building a death trap. Amateurs who know nothing about construction do that all the time. I know of one guy who bootlegged a couple of bedrooms into his garage, but he didn't want to get a permit, so didn't change the outside of the house by adding doors or windows. When the house caught on fire, his teenage daughters were trapped in the bedrooms. When the fire department arrived they could still hear the girls screaming, but by the time they got the chainsaw out and cut through the walls the kids were dead.

The building code requires every habitable space to have emergency egress to the outside. You cannot have an exiting path that goes through another room, because that room might be on fire. If you have a basement wall, it's a great place to put a pantry, furnace room, laundry or bathroom, but not a bedroom or family room. It's why daylight (walk-out) basements are so popular. You can stick the utilities on the back wall and the front walls are safe living space.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
There are plenty of counties that are pretty remote and welcoming new residents for the increase in tax base. Jobs tend to quite scarce. You may need a well....septic system....and solar power. May not be cheap.

I love solar power when I'm not having any issues. Getting set up is expensive. Batteries are expensive. The other electronics tend to last 4-8 years. We have all been waiting for a break through in battery technology since forever.

Neighbors can make or break an off grid living experience. Could get a good Samaritan. Could get a lawless vulture.

I like country living a lot. I need a little more income and jobs are very scarce.
My state has serious land use planning and a modified version of the International Building Code. I have a neighbor who recently built an off-grid house that was fully inspected, just because the power company wanted $50,000 to run power to his house. He has a spring-fed cistern, septic and solar, plus a diesel generator that he doesn't use much. It's all to code and approved, which will make it easier for him to sell it when it's time to move to town.

Resale value is something a lot of the hippiedippie off-grid types forget. Sooner or later, you will get old. At that point, either you die or you move closer to medical care and possibly assisted living. Most people become slowly debilitated as they age, and often will be incapable of performing much maintenance before they need living help. When you are 80 years old, you will not be physically capable of herding it into market shape.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:24 PM

^^Good points. Had not considered losing my ability to fix my own place. Family bloodlines indicate that may be 30 years from now. Not everybody worries that far down the road. I tend to think closer to ten years down the road.

Judging by the hobble work of many off grid abodes I have seen, many of them failed to look a couple years down the road. My experience is that some people are far more interested in tomorro6ws entertainment than next years comfort. Unlimited funds for pot and booze. No funds for a septic system.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Discovery has had a series called Homestead Rescue on recently- it features people who went to go live off grid, and then run into problems - you can see video clips of the show here:

Homestead Rescue Videos | Homestead Rescue | Discovery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living