Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:41 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Classic case of asking the same question in different ways, trying to fit the real-life answers to a predetermined goal of living for ZERO cost, with no restrictions whatsoever.

From her numerous other posts, it appears the OP has exceptional difficulty practicing basic personal hygiene, accepting the notion that life is not a free ride, and realizing that any abode requires maintenance, expense, and responsibility to not foul the area around it.

Even "unrestricted" land is not a litterbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:40 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Thank you all for sharing your insight on this.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:46 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Zoning restrictions and new "sanitation laws" make it pretty difficult to live 100 percent off grid, independent of all utility companies and monthly bills. Has anyone tried off-grid living and succeeded? If so, how did you do it? The main obstacle I'm seeing is zoning restrictions, requirements to install a septic tank, etc.

Hmm...I posted here, but maybe this would be better in the real estate section?
Apparently nearly 1/3 of homes still use septic systems, so somewhere this is still allowed no problem.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/ext.../id-170-w.html

Old 08-29-2016, 04:19 PM

125 posts, read 114,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
In the township where I am in Pennsylvania, there are sewer laws that went into effect about 25 years ago. The garage above the apartment is still hooked to a septic system, but the house had to be hooked up to the sewer.

But 100% is a bit of a fantasy and it would undoubtedly be ultra expensive. You can't really build an electrical generation and distribution system on your own for less than you can buy electricity from a utility company.
You don't know what you are talking about...
First of all you actually do not need much power, we use the most power per household compared to other modern 1st world nations.. it's an extreme waste

Anyways; Stove/Fridhe would be propane, and your electrical is pretty much just for lighting and plug in stuff like a t.v, etc, and you use wood to heat or some other renewable resource. You also do not need an air conditioner, fans will suffice.
About 3k will start you out, maybe even less if you get a deal.. All you do is have your solarbpanels/wind turbines and hook em up via a battery bank through a converter, and wire the house and you're set.. You'd be more efficient if you went d.c only and used rv appliances

As for water you make the system gravity fed, and your toilet would be a compost toilet.

It is so attainable, and so easy..

Find decent land for cheap (out west), and all it takes is less than 30k to build a home and go off grid.
It won't have granite counter tops, or a fancy big garage, or central air/heat, but it'll be paid for..
You never will have to worry about utility bills or anything or even a mortgage payment for the rest of your life..

I know peoplease who do it pwrsonally, I am working towards the goal of doing it myself as well, and I can give you countless examples of off grid homestead channels who do what I just said and some for even cheaper...

It's time to realize that majority of the luxuries we enjoy which consume power are simply not necessary. . You don't need a microwave, a coffee machine, central air/heat..
None of that is necessary.. nope

You don't live like a caveman though, you can have a t.v and Internet and satellite if you want. You can have a video game system, etc
Just gotta have a big enough battery bank really..

Heck you could run an electrical chest freezer and ditch the propane for your stove by cooking on a wood one instead too..

All about that big battery bank, and ability to keep it up.

And I know WHAT I'm talking about, my own dad basically grew up on a primitive homestead like this..
Gravity fed water, and electric for only a few hours..
But they lived happy, ate well, and didn't need much money.. Ain't like them suburban folk who need thousands of dollars to maintain their high maintenence lifestyle..
But hey do what makes ya happy, if spending your life working and paying bills makes ya happy do that.

In cobclusion; you don't even necessarily need electricity
Heck about the only use I got for it is a chest freezer, lights, and running a phone/laptop occasionally
I wouldn't know what else to use it for.. idk an alarm clock maybe?? Heh

Old 08-29-2016, 05:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
You don't know what you are talking about...
I agree with you, in addressing whether it is 'fantasy' or not and it doe snot have to be 'ultra expensive'.

However he is right in saying:
Quote:
... You can't really build an electrical generation and distribution system on your own for less than you can buy electricity from a utility company.
$100/month is cheaper [assuming there are no rebates, credits or write-offs].

Quote:
... First of all you actually do not need much power, we use the most power per household compared to other modern 1st world nations.. it's an extreme waste
I agree, but that does not contradict what he said.

Quote:
... About 3k will start you out, maybe even less if you get a deal.. All you do is have your solarbpanels/wind turbines and hook em up via a battery bank through a converter, and wire the house and you're set.. You'd be more efficient if you went d.c only and used rv appliances
And this proves his point.

If the PoCo is willing to hook-up to your house for free, there is no need to front $3,000.

Off-grid costs more.

Quote:
... Find decent land for cheap (out west), and all it takes is less than 30k to build a home and go off grid.
I am from 'out West'. I had to move East to find really cheap arable land.

Go East and there are many people living self-sufficient lifestyles in off-grid homes.

Quote:
... You don't live like a caveman though, you can have a t.v and Internet and satellite if you want. You can have a video game system, etc
Just gotta have a big enough battery bank really..
Coming from a LudditeMan I would think you would be in favor of cave dwelling

My battery-bank is 48vdc 600ah.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree with you, in addressing whether it is 'fantasy' or not and it doe snot have to be 'ultra expensive'.
However he is right in saying:
$100/month is cheaper [assuming there are no rebates, credits or write-offs].
I agree, but that does not contradict what he said.
And this proves his point.
If the PoCo is willing to hook-up to your house for free, there is no need to front $3,000.
Yes but think about the lifetime factor.. Life time of utility bills, or lifetime of freedom?
Plus pretty much all renewable energy investment is a massive tax rebate and tax deduction. If you are in a state that really pushes green energy cost could essentially be 0.

Quote:
I am from 'out West'. I had to move East to find really cheap arable land.
Go East and there are many people living self-sufficient lifestyles in off-grid homes.
You moved East? South East or NOrth East? I know the Ozarks, GA,TN, etc area I'd pretty kickass homesteading land and not too expensive. It's too warm for me though I don't like the warmth.. lol
Well you do got a point about areas being arid, Wyoming would be great but the state is so darn dry...
I think Idaho or Montana would be about the best place to be.
Yes there are many, youtube FixedByDoc Homestead on youtube, he is up in PA and has a pretty awesome homestead all off grid..

Quote:
Coming from a LudditeMan I would think you would be in favor of cave dwelling
Hehe someone gets the name! Yeah I don't need none of that.. Who needs television when you got the beautiful countryside all around you? Not enough time in life to take in the beauty.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yes but think about the lifetime factor.. Life time of utility bills, or lifetime of freedom?
I prefer being on solar power. We completed the shift to solar 11 months ago.

Quote:
... You moved East? South East or NOrth East? I know the Ozarks, GA,TN, etc area I'd pretty kickass homesteading land and not too expensive. It's too warm for me though I don't like the warmth.. lol
Well you do got a point about areas being arid, Wyoming would be great but the state is so darn dry...
I think Idaho or Montana would be about the best place to be.
This California kid moved to Maine.

No more drought for me

Quote:
... Who needs television when you got the beautiful countryside all around you? Not enough time in life to take in the beauty.
No TV here either.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This California kid moved to Maine.
No more drought for me
Nice choice; Yeah I wouldn't go to California, when I say west I largely mean Alaska, Montana, Idaho.(Oregon and Washington would be nice but the laws 2A rights etc doesn't work out really)
Has to be awesome up there, nice and cold.

Here is what I consider decent area for homesteading:
New hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania (the Amish do it!), West Virginia, North Carolina (Eustace Conway!!!), Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana, Idaho, Alaska.. (probably missed a few)
As ya can see I didn't really include any big plains states.. Survival is hard out on the plains.. I don't want to collect cow dung to heat my home. O Would Love To Also Include Wyoming but too dry..
So yeah pretty much most of dixie is perfect for going off grid, and mix in a few northern states. I guess there is a reason the south was so agricultural lol..

Old 08-30-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Nice choice; Yeah I wouldn't go to California, when I say west I largely mean Alaska, Montana, Idaho.(Oregon and Washington would be nice but the laws 2A rights etc doesn't work out really)

New hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania (the Amish do it!), West Virginia, North Carolina (Eustace Conway!!!), Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana, Idaho, Alaska.. (probably missed a few)
As ya can see I didn't really include any big plains states.. Survival is hard out on the plains.. I don't want to collect cow dung to heat my home. O Would Love To Also Include Wyoming but too dry..
So yeah pretty much most of dixie is perfect for going off grid, and mix in a few northern states. I guess there is a reason the south was so agricultural lol..
Some areas get hammered very hard by drought.

Both sets of my grandparents were farmers in Oklahoma and in Missouri, but the droughts chased them away.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:56 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:

New hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania (the Amish do it!), West Virginia, North Carolina (Eustace Conway!!!), Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana, Idaho, Alaska.. (probably missed a few)l..
Many people doing it in Hawaii too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living