Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:51 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,590,215 times

Advertisements

Zoning restrictions and new "sanitation laws" make it pretty difficult to live 100 percent off grid, independent of all utility companies and monthly bills. Has anyone tried off-grid living and succeeded? If so, how did you do it? The main obstacle I'm seeing is zoning restrictions, requirements to install a septic tank, etc.

Hmm...I posted here, but maybe this would be better in the real estate section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:35 AM

10,602 posts, read 7,829,586 times
Maybe you should post it in the Alabama section. Such a scheme is not a problem in the states I'm familiar with.

You may want to keep some sort of phone and/or internet service, which means at least one monthly bill.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,646,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
..to live 100 percent off grid, independent of all utility companies and monthly bills
In the township where I am in Pennsylvania, there are sewer laws that went into effect about 25 years ago. The garage above the apartment is still hooked to a septic system, but the house had to be hooked up to the sewer.

But 100% is a bit of a fantasy and it would undoubtedly be ultra expensive. You can't really build an electrical generation and distribution system on your own for less than you can buy electricity from a utility company.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Zoning restrictions and new "sanitation laws" make it pretty difficult to live 100 percent off grid, independent of all utility companies and monthly bills. Has anyone tried off-grid living and succeeded? If so, how did you do it? The main obstacle I'm seeing is zoning restrictions, requirements to install a septic tank, etc.

Hmm...I posted here, but maybe this would be better in the real estate section?
My husband and I have been 100% off grid for 8 years now but we are in TN. Zoning is your issue.
This is my original story though I haven't posted there in years:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...see-story.html

Now it would be cheaper to do what we did…plus we learned a lot in the process.

It is doable and affordable in many cases.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My husband and I have been 100% off grid for 8 years now but we are in TN. Zoning is your issue.
This is my original story though I haven't posted there in years:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...see-story.html

Now it would be cheaper to do what we did…plus we learned a lot in the process.

It is doable and affordable in many cases.
Wow!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,008,550 times
Stop feeling bad about dead dreams and start fighting. Get together in a group and make a point. Visit the county, protest legally, petition. Smaller the town, the better it works. There's bravery in numbers, I've seen it. Most people aren't brave enough to speak up until they receive a form of group validation.

It is possible to go off-the-grid 100% (though it depends on what you mean, property tax will always be a thing), but it's a dying dream, and quickly.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Stop feeling bad about dead dreams and start fighting. Get together in a group and make a point. Visit the county, protest legally, petition. Smaller the town, the better it works. There's bravery in numbers, I've seen it. Most people aren't brave enough to speak up until they receive a form of group validation.

It is possible to go off-the-grid 100% (though it depends on what you mean, property tax will always be a thing), but it's a dying dream, and quickly.
I WISH I knew people who actually owned land who felt as strongly about this as I do!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:22 PM

Well, I read that composting toilets are illegal in Alabama, and I'm guessing this even applies to when staying in a camper or RV, which I think is ridiculous. Yes, I would like to get the laws changed, and I would like to be able to buy a reasonable plot of land, park a tiny house on it, and enjoy some almost completely off-grid living close to town, but I don't know where to begin in making that request.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,365,179 times
I know a totally off-grid home in Utah, owned by a friend's dad.

Another friend I see on fb frequently and she's off-grid on an island off the coast of the western coast of Canada. Very cool.

I don't blame you and I can't help thinking there must be a way. Would another state be a better choice for you?

Old 08-07-2016, 06:48 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,602,871 times
Youtube has lots of offgridders . Search fixedbydoc he and his girlfriend live offgrid in PA. He is alittle looney but they do it. Another one is "thediyworld" he lives in upstate NY offgrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living