Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I really like the idea of getting counter pieces from liquidation. I wish I knew how to build like that.
I usually don't have much luck at those places but that worked out well, it even went with the paint. If you are starting a larger product it's usually a good idea to take a walk through one of those places and see what they have even if you are just browsing. That's how I ended up with that because I was there 1 month beforehand and saw them. For $25 compared to the $100 at the store it was well worth it.

I'm not in construction but I've been swinging a hammer since I was 2 and my Father did a lot of his own work, I was the helper. That's how I learned, I'm still learning... the mason was here laying some brick and I learned enough watching him that I'd be confident doing it myself on something simple. If you have some basic knowledge you can build anything you want, you just have to take your time and do it right. You trade experience for time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,554,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I usually don't have much luck at those places but that worked out well, it even went with the paint. If you are starting a larger product it's usually a good idea to take a walk through one of those places and see what they have even if you are just browsing. That's how I ended up with that because I was there 1 month beforehand and saw them. For $25 compared to the $100 at the store it was well worth it.

I'm not in construction but I've been swinging a hammer since I was 2 and my Father did a lot of his own work, I was the helper. That's how I learned, I'm still learning... the mason was here laying some brick and I learned enough watching him that I'd be confident doing it myself on something simple. If you have some basic knowledge you can build anything you want, you just have to take your time and do it right. You trade experience for time.

Good advice, but as a female I worry I will not be strong enough for many of the tasks. I also honestly have a fear of circular saws after a friend lost a finger on one, I do not go near any electric saws. However I am interested in learning to be a better handywoman. I want to be able to build and fix thing on my land and around the house especially in a eco environmentally careful way. I just may need some help with some things.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 09-19-2016 at 06:12 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 PM

7,791 posts, read 6,411,593 times
There are machines that are both a washer and dryer in one machine. They condense the exhaust steam from the dryer and it goes down the drain as water. I have never seen one, but you can find them online. I believe Home Depot and Lowe's list them. I am very interested in learning more about them.

We live in a condo with no provision for venting a dryer or any way to install one. The one piece Whirlpool "stack unit" that we have is 24" wide and does a satisfactory job. The dryer exhaust goes into a box that was made for the purpose. It captures lint and then the air goes out into the room. I put a window fan in the window to get rid of the humidity. Some lint does get deposited on the window screen.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
There are machines that are both a washer and dryer in one machine. They condense the exhaust steam from the dryer and it goes down the drain as water. I have never seen one, but you can find them online. I believe Home Depot and Lowe's list them. I am very interested in learning more about them.

We live in a condo with no provision for venting a dryer or any way to install one. The one piece Whirlpool "stack unit" that we have is 24" wide and does a satisfactory job. The dryer exhaust goes into a box that was made for the purpose. It captures lint and then the air goes out into the room. I put a window fan in the window to get rid of the humidity. Some lint does get deposited on the window screen.

From what I have found out there are washer dryer combos that are expensive,most of them near to or over $1000 and then there are much cheaper washer dryer combos that are small and portable that can hook up to a sink and the smallest mini versions of them cost about $130 or so .

I found some information that I think probably describes the expensive one . I admit I have not read the link completely all the way through yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_washer_dryer

Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,315,035 times
Front loaders are certainly good and clean well but they are deeper than top loaders so your space better have depth to it... I will probably get top loaders when I move into my house in a month.. I don't really have the big urge to go all out and get super high end appliances.. I aim for bang for the buck. Most of the top loaders out there work pretty well these days.

My place had a natural gas line going to the washer area so I have to decide on electric vs gas drier though. Googling time.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 PM

Hi I wanted to warn everyone with a Samsung top loader that some models are at risk of exploding! There is a warning about them issued by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Quote from the article below:
"CPSC is advising consumers to only use the delicate cycle when washing bedding, water-resistant and bulky items," reads a statement at the commission's website. "The lower spin speed in the delicate cycle lessens the risk of impact injuries or property damage due to the washing machine becoming dislodged."

There is also a recall of some GE models that are at risk of catching fire. They were sold from 2003-2011
Fire hazard prompts GE to recall nearly 222K washing machines - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

What is going on?

Old 10-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Hi I wanted to warn everyone with a Samsung top loader that some models are at risk of exploding! There is a warning about them issued by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Quote from the article below:
"CPSC is advising consumers to only use the delicate cycle when washing bedding, water-resistant and bulky items," reads a statement at the commission's website. "The lower spin speed in the delicate cycle lessens the risk of impact injuries or property damage due to the washing machine becoming dislodged."
https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/Press-...ade-by-Samsung

There is also a recall of some GE models that are at risk of catching fire. They were sold from 2003-2011
Fire hazard prompts GE to recall nearly 222K washing machines - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

What is going on?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
I have an eighteen-year-old Maytag Neptune front loader that has been moved three times, has never needed a repair, and is still going strong. The matching gas dryer has needed one repair during the same period of time and is showing no signs of problems either, but it's used more lightly than the washer, because we line dry three-quarters of the year.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:07 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,623,311 times
Whatever you do, don't get a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and dryer. I bought a pair in 2013, and they've been nothing but trouble. The washer often takes more than an hour to wash, and the dryer computer board just died and the repair guy told me it would cost about $320 to install a new one! This dryer is only 3-4 years old!!!!! I'm just going to buy a used top loader for under $320. But no more Whirlpools for me again, ever!

Old 11-04-2016, 11:27 AM

764 posts, read 1,423,585 times
The front loaders we used when stationed in Germany never, ever had the mold problems they do here. I loved them and have wanted one ever since. Everyone I know who has or had a front loader here in my area has had problems with the mold issues. I really, really wanted a front loader when I suddenly had to replace my 20yo GE washer two years ago, I reluctantly got a highly-rated top loader. It's an LG. I like the washer just fine - it does a great job on the clothes. The problem is I can't reach all the way to the bottom of it. That never occurred to me it would be a problem. I'm 5 ft 4 in so it's not like I'm all that short.

Last month when shopping with my daughter for a washer and dryer for her new place, I tried to reach into all of the top loaders they had - there weren't any of them that I could reach to the bottom. NONE. We went to Lowe's, Home Depot, and Best Buy and they didn't have the older style top loaders with the agitator. It looks like I'm going to have to get a front loader for my next machine because I just can't reach all the way into the new top loaders. It's annoying to say the least. Currently I have to use a grabber stick thing or hubby will do the laundry.

So if anyone is thinking about a new top loader, go to the store, and make sure you can reach all the way to the bottom. That never, ever occurred to me that it would be a problem.

Last edited by pnc66; 11-04-2016 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: fix typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living