Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 04:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,239,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Whatever you do, don't get a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and dryer. I bought a pair in 2013, and they've been nothing but trouble. The washer often takes more than an hour to wash, and the dryer computer board just died and the repair guy told me it would cost about $320 to install a new one! This dryer is only 3-4 years old!!!!! I'm just going to buy a used top loader for under $320. But no more Whirlpools for me again, ever!
We have a pair from the same time and no issues yet, the normal wash cycle is about an hour but there is nothing wrong with that. If you watch the wash cycle it is slow, it's not beating the crap out of clothes and is giving the detergent a chance to do it's job. There may even be an energy savings despite the longer run time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 06:40 AM

346 posts, read 360,883 times
We own a Speed Queen washer and dryer. When our old washer died, we asked the repairman what he used at home and he said Speed Queen. They have no bells and whistles, more like what was around in the late sixties, not mother boards to fry, like the new ones.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:29 AM

764 posts, read 1,426,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
We own a Speed Queen washer and dryer. When our old washer died, we asked the repairman what he used at home and he said Speed Queen. They have no bells and whistles, more like what was around in the late sixties, not mother boards to fry, like the new ones.
How do you like your Speed Queen washer and dryer? Does the washer fill to the top? One of the things I didn't like about my last top-loader with the agitator was that it filled the water maybe 2/3 - 3/4 full on a "large" load - I guess this is supposed to be a water saving feature, but I don't know how since it required more smaller loads. There was no way I could figure out how to trick the machine to fill it all the way to the top since it had an electronic control panel.

Next question - where did you manage to find a Speed Queen washer and dryer? I've always like them but couldn't find one when I was shopping for one a couple of years ago.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:19 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,936,147 times
No problem with our LG units. We leave the door open after using the washer so it dries out.

We built the cabinets deep enough so they are flush with the front of the washer/dryer, so it is easier to store laundry detergent etc.

I thought I read that front loaders do not perform as well as traditional top loaders for heavily soiled loads.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:04 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,589,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I didn't read through all the replies on this thread, nor am I responding to the green issue.

We had front loaders in our last house and I found that they were harder on our clothes. I don't know if it was the washer or the dryer, but we ended up with a lot of t shirts with tiny holes in them.

So, next house I said I wanted to go back to top loader washer, with front load dryer. No more holes. However, after a few years of aging and arthritis setting in, I'm finding it harder and harder to get to the bottom of the drum to take out the clothes from the washer. I figure in about a year, I'll be needing to use one of those grab sticks.

Something to consider if you're getting to 'that age.'
Exactly! I have always thought about short people when I empty my washer. I have to stand on my tippy toes to get the clothes out of the bottom. They must need a freaking stool.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,952,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst
The only good front loaders in my opinion, are commercial machines.
Yes and thats where they belong..... IN BUSINESSES!!!!!!

Like all this STAINLESS STEAL crap people put in thier houses now,LOOKS LIKE CRAP!!!! -- That stuff (Which isnt as good as traditional appliances) doesnt belong in a house!!

A top loading washing machine is fine

Old 11-13-2016, 05:22 AM

4,548 posts, read 6,841,286 times
I do not like my top-loading high efficiency. It was top rated at the time but does not do a good job cleaning my clothes. It just does not use enough water and my clothes often come out with spots that are completely dry. To compensate we have to add water by hand with buckets. The high-spinning speed also ruins my clothes. It frays collars, pant cuffs and prematurely wears out the clothes. Conversely, my old Hot Point top loader, non-HE did a fantastic job cleaning clothes for over 20 years. When I move to a public water residence I will search out to find an older-style machine that is not HE. It makes no sense to save a few gallons of water and not get your clothes clean and have to constanly buy new clothes to replace the items that got ruined prematurely.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:38 PM

8,922 posts, read 5,663,330 times
My front loaders filter was clogged by a penny. Luckily the repair man fixed it free. (Under warranty) Never had any other problems. I do think they clean clothes better and spin the clothes very dry.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:42 PM

8,922 posts, read 5,663,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
Yes, I have heard the same. I guess these repairmen see it all and know what to look for. Who sells Speed Queen? I have never seen one at retail appliance stores.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:37 PM

32,133 posts, read 27,372,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I do not like my top-loading high efficiency. It was top rated at the time but does not do a good job cleaning my clothes. It just does not use enough water and my clothes often come out with spots that are completely dry. To compensate we have to add water by hand with buckets. The high-spinning speed also ruins my clothes. It frays collars, pant cuffs and prematurely wears out the clothes. Conversely, my old Hot Point top loader, non-HE did a fantastic job cleaning clothes for over 20 years. When I move to a public water residence I will search out to find an older-style machine that is not HE. It makes no sense to save a few gallons of water and not get your clothes clean and have to constanly buy new clothes to replace the items that got ruined prematurely.

Have at it: NEW OLD STOCK WASHING MACHINE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living