Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:34 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobinvans View Post
As a master electrician that has been involved in many many sold installs, never ever ever do solar to save money.....it won't happen. But it's a great way to live off grid when there is no power around, but yea it's not cheap and things will always break, always
As a registered professional electrical engineer, don't take investment advice from an electrician. It isn't in his training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 351 times
Loved it, Thanks for sharing

Old 11-07-2020, 06:40 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
As a master electrician that has been involved in many many sold installs, never ever ever do solar to save money.....it won't happen. But it's a great way to live off grid when there is no power around, but yea it's not cheap and things will always break, always

Nobody saves money on solar. Just today, I was talking to my neighbor. He is redoing his solar system replacing a 20 year old system.......50,000 dollars. Granted he is a urban fellow and as he said it is only money!! But I am jealous of his solar system and for me "only money" is not reality.

Things might break, always and someday. BUT after 23 years with my solar system. Replaced the batteries for 10,000 dollars. Power went out ONCE...the cable on the batteries failed.

The major issue with solar systems......you cannot find a master electrician to service your system. I have had TWO refuse to hook up my additional panels....not enough money in it for them. They are busy installing 50,000 dollar systems for my neighbors.

In fairness....off-grid solar houses when it comes to energy consumption ARE propane homes with solar as a back-up electrical source. My "solar" house has a propane.....fridge, furnace, hot water heater, stove, oven...not to mention the propane powered generator to charge the batteries when I run out of sunshine!!

BUT, you should see the view out my back door.....

Old 11-08-2020, 01:00 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
This one has no aged well.

Silicon Solar PV has now become the cheapest and most reliable thing going.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:24 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
https://www.clearwaycommunitysolar.c...rooftop-solar/ Very fair assessment by a group favoring PV.

https://www.strata.org/unseen-costs/solar/ An article from 2016, but analyzes the true allocation of costs. The costs have been shifted to taxpayers & ratepayers, and that's about to expire in 2021.

Only Pollyanna sees it thru rose colored glasses. It's still a niche market and will remain so until new technology in the nuclear industry makes it all obsolete...If some can dream with confidence about "new battery technology," then I can dream about fusion. The odds are with me, not you.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:09 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://www.clearwaycommunitysolar.c...rooftop-solar/ Very fair assessment by a group favoring PV.

https://www.strata.org/unseen-costs/solar/ An article from 2016, but analyzes the true allocation of costs. The costs have been shifted to taxpayers & ratepayers, and that's about to expire in 2021.

Only Pollyanna sees it thru rose colored glasses. It's still a niche market and will remain so until new technology in the nuclear industry makes it all obsolete...If some can dream with confidence about "new battery technology," then I can dream about fusion. The odds are with me, not you.
I support nuclear power. Our nation builds a couple of new nuclear reactors every year. I am familiar with them as I have served onboard three of them. But in public discussions, everyone seems to insist on a world view that no new reactors are being built.

I do think that there will be new battery tech will be developed.

I do not see why you think better batteries are required for anyone to utilize Solar Power today.

My investment into my solar power system paid itself off in 7 years [with its mandatory 7-year depreciation]. And now my farm has stable power that is far more stable than what the power grid has to offer in our township.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living