Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:59 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post

My family went to this to-go sushi place for a family dinner.....
That restaurant should be shut down due to all the garbage they create!!

This situation is a perfect example of what's wrong with the conventional "Green Movement."

We've been indoctrinated by propaganda to think plastics & trash are an actual problem (they're not. See my earlier post.), then remain ignorant of a real problem that we've created and could be helping with.

The world's ocean fisheries are over-worked, quickly becoming depleted and the sushi fad is a major contributing factor. https://maritimecyprus.com/2018/08/1...fish-stocks-2/

(I like sushi...if it's cooked right.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Plastic gets into our drinks and food... the scientists.manufacturers and governments know this so why is it allowed..but like the new diesel scare for us to go electric or petrol its filling someones pockets, all to do with money as cars could run on water if they wanted to..
This point is what made me look at this thread. I had a mammogram a few days ago- I've been kicked into the High Risk category because my sister was diagnosed with it in March (caught early, she decided on a mastectomy, should be fine) and our mother had it at 78, was treated and then died of it at 85. My results were negative, thank heaven, but one of the things they stressed for prevention was avoiding plastic. It has substances that mimic hormones (which is one theory about why girls are hitting puberty at younger ages). A recent study by doctors in Vienna found plastic nanoparticles in human stool samples.

Wow, is THAT hard to do. I keep plastic out of the microwave and store leftovers in glass containers, but just realized my beloved morning coffee goes through a plastic filter- better buy paper ones to line it! So many things are sold in individual packets or are individually wrapped. I have a glass-lined mug for coffee and one for water- will have to try just getting the coffee cup filled at convenience stores rather than that awful styrofoam. Many airports are now offering fountains to refill water bottles. Given what they charge for water in airports that's a BIG win.

One "repurposing" project about which I have mixed feelings:

http://www.finecraftguild.com/craft-...-the-homeless/

People at my church save their plastic grocery bags and I cut them into strips ("plarn" for plastic yarn) and crochet them into mats for the homeless. Good that the bags are being repurposed but sometimes I wonder if they use more plastic bags knowing I can make them into mats.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This point is what made me look at this thread. I had a mammogram a few days ago- I've been kicked into the High Risk category because my sister was diagnosed with it in March (caught early, she decided on a mastectomy, should be fine) and our mother had it at 78, was treated and then died of it at 85. My results were negative, thank heaven, but one of the things they stressed for prevention was avoiding plastic. It has substances that mimic hormones (which is one theory about why girls are hitting puberty at younger ages). A recent study by doctors in Vienna found plastic nanoparticles in human stool samples.

It's true that some plastics have estrogenic properties, but estrogen does not "cause" breast cancer--it acts as fertilizer, so to speak, IF you already have breast cancer. (BTW- do women who find their breast cancer by routine mammography really live longer, or do they just know about it longer? The true value of mammography is debatable.)

Estrogen is the "growth hormone" given to cattle to increase their feed efficiency, but a serving of potatoes has 16x the amount of estrogen in it than a serving of beef. What's the real meaning of the micro- amounts of estrogen in our food from plastic residue?

Girls have been averaging earlier & earlier menarche for 60 yrs- long before plastics became so prevalent. Menarche is related to body weight more closely than to plastics exposures. We're just growing 'em bigger these days. (Visit WI once if you don't believe me. If a girl is less than 200lb here, she's called "Twiggy.")

Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 1,353 times
Izzie1213, I am so glad that you have come to the awareness yourself that there is something wrong with this and that you are making small changes.

Sadly, the truth is, that plastics DO NOT biodegrade fast enough. We don't actually quite know how long they take. What we do know is that all the plastic ever made still exists today.
What does happen is that plastic pieces get smaller and smaller, even microscopic and like many people have pointed out, all around the world wildlife, not just marine life, eats it and is INDEED dying from it. For instance there is this particular kind of Albatross on a very remote island they are doing research on. Their chicks die frequently as they are being fed bits of plastic. That's just one example.

I highly recommend the new BBC documentary "Drowning In Plastic" which will give you great insight into the scope of the issue and the urgency of change needing to happen.

If we continue the way we o we will have more plastic in the oceans than fish by 2050.
A lot of plastic, a whooping third or so, that is recycled or exposed of still ends up in the ocean.
90% of all table salt is found with plastic in it.

We may not know exactly yet how it impacts humans to ingest plastic, but it won't be good, we know it's killing wildlife, and how about we don't even find out?

We need to find alternatives to plastic.
And you have the power to contribute to making that happen by refusing choices that come in plastic.

Happy to help more.
I live Plastic Free and am Zero Waste

Old 12-01-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicindigoventures View Post

Good for you!. You deserve a cookie.

Now please document for us all the dubious statements you made above about the fate & effects of plastic.

You may find it interesting that fungi & bacteria can digest/degrade plastics. https://phys.org/news/2016-03-newly-...c-bottles.html

Finding plastic in living organisms doesn't necessarily means it's doing any harm there. Here's an extensive review from an obviously "TreeHugger" source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2873021/ . Pay particular attention to Sections III & IV- effects of plastics on environment & for human health-- all speculation with a lot of "could be's," "possibly's" & "maybe's" with no actual proof.

I'm not advocating littering. Keep in mind that most of the plastic that winds up in oceans gets there because it's dumped there by the guys who took it on to re-cycle but couldn't handle it all. If you send your waste plastic to be re-cycled, then you're part of the problem, we'd have to say.

We should conserve for conservation's sake. Waste not, want not....and carry out what you carried in..... But all this talk about plastic is like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:09 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicindigoventures View Post
Izzie1213, I am so glad that you have come to the awareness yourself that there is something wrong with this and that you are making small changes.

Sadly, the truth is, that plastics DO NOT biodegrade fast enough. We don't actually quite know how long they take. What we do know is that all the plastic ever made still exists today.
What does happen is that plastic pieces get smaller and smaller, even microscopic and like many people have pointed out, all around the world wildlife, not just marine life, eats it and is INDEED dying from it. For instance there is this particular kind of Albatross on a very remote island they are doing research on. Their chicks die frequently as they are being fed bits of plastic. That's just one example.

I highly recommend the new BBC documentary "Drowning In Plastic" which will give you great insight into the scope of the issue and the urgency of change needing to happen.

If we continue the way we o we will have more plastic in the oceans than fish by 2050.
A lot of plastic, a whooping third or so, that is recycled or exposed of still ends up in the ocean.
90% of all table salt is found with plastic in it.

We may not know exactly yet how it impacts humans to ingest plastic, but it won't be good, we know it's killing wildlife, and how about we don't even find out?

We need to find alternatives to plastic.
And you have the power to contribute to making that happen by refusing choices that come in plastic.

Happy to help more.
What's your computer made of?

Old 12-04-2018, 04:11 AM

https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/29/l...-is-the-height

Talk about hypocrisy and virtue signaling: Legoland has banned plastic straws! Do I need to explain the useless stupidity of this one?

Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Brian Appel in Ohio has set up a processing plant that can boil ANY organic material, plastic included, into fuel oil. The only tricky part is figuring out exactly how much water to add:

Changing World Technologies | The Solution for Energy Independence

With that said, I haven't heard anything about him heading out to the Great Northern Atlantic Trash Heap, or any similar land- or waterfill infested with plastics, to pick up raw materials. I hope someone is working on that.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
This situation is a perfect example of what's wrong with the conventional "Green Movement."

We've been indoctrinated by propaganda to think plastics & trash are an actual problem (they're not. See my earlier post.), then remain ignorant of a real problem that we've created and could be helping with.

The world's ocean fisheries are over-worked, quickly becoming depleted and the sushi fad is a major contributing factor. https://maritimecyprus.com/2018/08/1...fish-stocks-2/

(I like sushi...if it's cooked right.)
If you think plastics aren't a problem, particularly for fisheries species, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/29/l...-is-the-height

Talk about hypocrisy and virtue signaling: Legoland has banned plastic straws! Do I need to explain the useless stupidity of this one?
Yes, explain how no longer using a single use plastic item, useless for 99% of the population is "stupid".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living