Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM

91 posts, read 390,484 times

Advertisements

How many people mow their lawns using a power mower? I purchased a push
old time reel mower, i get my excercise and the mower works great. My yard
isn't huge, but it is 100' x 90'. The mower doesnt work well in wet grass, or if it's extremly long, but most of the time i can use the reel mower. I do have a power mower as a back-up. I do get looks from my neighbors using the reel mower,one neighbor thought my power mower had quit,another mentioned, her dad used one like that when she was growing up, so you may get com ments like that, if you purchase one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,519,877 times
I use horses and cows to mow - and fertilize - my "lawn". With a riding mower as a backup.

But I've used a reel mower in the past. I like them. Nice and quiet, for one thing.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM

91 posts, read 390,484 times
That is a good way to get it all done, all natural. It looks like you may have just a bit more land then i do to take care of.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:48 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,831,733 times
I wish more people would use them, it would be a LOT quieter for one thing. When I lived in suburbia there wouldn't be a single minute of any weekend that SOMEONE wasn't using a loud power mower, you never had any quiet.

HOOORAY for anyone who uses a reel type mower. I don't blame people with huge yards or lots of acreage for using a power mower but it's pretty silly on a smaller lot -- the smell, the waste of gas, the noise. (I hate to say it, but the laziness too, unless the person is elderly or handicapped.)

Weren't they making rechargable lawn mowers a while back? Plug them in overnight.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:54 PM

520 posts, read 1,856,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Weren't they making rechargable lawn mowers a while back? Plug them in overnight.
Yes... there are a few on the market. I have one called the Neuton. It runs for around 1 hr on a little lead acid battery that you recharge overnight. I haven't had any problems with it.

Black and Decker also has one.

Rechargeable electric mowers are nice because you don't have to go buy gas and they are quiet (compared to a gas mower).

Neuton Power Equipment - Neuton Mower and Neuton Garden Cart
Cordless and Electric Lawn Mowers from Black and Decker

Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,831,733 times
Good links! And they've even got a mulching lawnmower -- good for the lawn because it chops the leaves up and sprinkles them on the lawn as mulch.

I just don't know why more people don't use this sort of thing.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,519,877 times
We had a rechargeable. In fact, we had two. Then we learned that they aren't worth the trouble or expense (replacement batteries are expensive enough that it's darned near worth buying an entire new mower, which sort of defeats the purpose both economically and ecologically).

Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,942,980 times
If you look at golf courses and real fine landscaped areas, the groundskeepers are not using rotary mowers, they are using reel type mowers. Granted theirs are powered but it is the same cutting action the old style reel mowers use and it is better for your lawn. They give a true cut to the grass and not just knock the top off like a regular power mower does.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,104,042 times
we looked at several options, and decided on pygmy goats. we have 10 acres, and keep 9 of it fenced, with the neighbors cows on it, the other acre is our home and gardens. We keep the garden area fenced also, so the goats take care of the lawn. They are cute, and provide us with enough milk to make goat cheese, which I adore!
The manure from the cows is enough to fertilize the gardens, along with the compost.
I know this is not for everyone, but I hope it might give someone an idea.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,768,727 times
We used both a reel and a plug-in electric mower when we lived in a small townhouse. We alternated back and forth depending on our energy level LOL Now we have 3/4 acre and use a horrible, pollution spilling ride-em-up (as my father says) mower. I wish it was diesel so I could run it on bio-diesel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living