Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Gotta disagree. A few thousand pounds of plutonium will replace a few million barrels of oil EASY.
That'd have to be an electric car, then, and the battery tech isn't there (not as a direct replacement for gasoline). Unless, of course, we just put a small fusion plant in each car...

Living down river of Hanford for a couple decades, and watching various highly radioactive things go up river to be "temporarily permanently" stored until some solution for storage is discovered and perfected is not a happy feeling.

Long-term storage would have to be solved, plants would have to be constructed by someone other than the lowest bidder, security issues need to be addressed, health and safety issues worked out - a hydro dam can fail and result in catastrophe, but at least it's a short-term catastrophe, on the scale of Katrina rather than Chernobyl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:57 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
I ran across an artcle the other day (I think it was on MSNBC, but I can't recall for sure) where a marketer admitted that they are using the "green" label as a "shopping for salvation" (his words) gimmick, in other words manipulating people into buying things that really are no better for the environment, but make them feel better. Alot of people don't have a religion any more, and the new phony green movement has become a new means of allowing them feeling that they have control over their lives.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peznex View Post
Some of y'all may already know, but the Founder of the Weather Channel, John Coleman, wants to sue Al gore because global warming is a fraud:
Al Gore The Weather Channel - TWC Founder Wants to Sue Gore - thedailygreen.com
I know the post above is old, but here is something that happened over the weekend regarding John's old company. We at home with guests and an alert for a severe t'storm and hail event came over the radio. I instinctively turned on the Weather Channel. I was ready to see the latest radar, up to date data, etc. for the warning area.

Instead, there was the "crawl" talking about a warning, but they kept showing this "documentary" about global warming. Some of our guests said that they stopped using the WC bacause it is not what it was in the John Coleman days.

I am writing to many of the shows sponsors to voice my concerns.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I ran across an artcle the other day (I think it was on MSNBC, but I can't recall for sure) where a marketer admitted that they are using the "green" label as a "shopping for salvation" (his words) gimmick, in other words manipulating people into buying things that really are no better for the environment, but make them feel better. Alot of people don't have a religion any more, and the new phony green movement has become a new means of allowing them feeling that they have control over their lives.
Thats just like people who buy "wind power" from the utility. Unless there's a tower or a farm within a few miles of you it's a pretty safe bet your still useing power from a non-renewable source, and if they say they are offsetting power from a non-renewable source thats a smokescreen as well The load in this country is going up faster then any new renewable resource can match......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living