Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Look up recycling aluminum and then come to tell us how idiotic your statement sounds.

The production of secondary (recycled) aluminum saves more than 90 percent of the energy costs associated with primary production. Producing aluminum from ore takes about 15 kWH/kg at 8 ¢/kWh = $1.20/kg. Bulk price of aluminum about $1/pound or $2.20/kg.

Want to revisit the "I have yet to see evidence" statement?
Ok, Mr. Numbers, tell me this. What does it cost to haul and sort through greasy pizza boxes, Chinese food left overs, and other assorted trash to fish the aluminum cans. How much per pound? I want sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:52 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Aluminum, steel, cardboard and paper generally are cost effective to recycle. Other products typically cost more to use recycled material.
Our biweekly recycle only accepts those things, plus #1-2 plastic. This, unfortunately leaves A LOT of things which are recyclable going to a landfill. It’s not about ecology, just about $$$.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our biweekly recycle only accepts those things, plus #1-2 plastic. This, unfortunately leaves A LOT of things which are recyclable going to a landfill. It’s not about ecology, just about $$$.
Nothing wrong with a properly designed landfill. Landfills are environmentally benign. Plastic disposed of in a landfill causes no problems.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ok, Mr. Numbers, tell me this. What does it cost to haul and sort through greasy pizza boxes, Chinese food left overs, and other assorted trash to fish the aluminum cans. How much per pound? I want sources.
Looks like a promotion for you. A new career path.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
...and how much does it cost for a recycle worker to sort the #2 clear plastic top, from the, #5, clear plastic bottom of a fast food drink? Does someone stand there with a magnifying glass and scrutinize every piece of plastic that goes down the line?

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...and how much does it cost for a recycle worker to sort the #2 clear plastic top, from the, #5, clear plastic bottom of a fast food drink? Does someone stand there with a magnifying glass and scrutinize every piece of plastic that goes down the line?
A lot of the sorting is done with mechanical screens.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Here is a good article discussing pros and cons.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...a3752/4291566/

Old 05-03-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhere but here View Post
Money savings should not be considered in this debate since it is not the goal of the concern.
I think we have enough evidence to support why we need change our ways.
I disagree. Landfills are ecologically benign so recycling is at its core an economic argument.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
There are recycling facilities where workers sort through materials and group them together. They are sold to various manufacturers.

I've worked at plants that have used aluminum, plastic, and steel.

Using recycled aluminum is quite a bit less expensive and anytime that we could use some of it, we did. It melted down just fine

The plastic that the plant used was from the PET and HDPE plastic bottles/containers. We had a machine that ground them up into little pellets and they were then just put into the mixer with the rest of the pellets and went through the extrusion machine to become plastic sheeting.

Steel also was melted down.

All of the recycled materials saved money on raw materials costs. The aluminum and plastics saved the most money, simply because we were able to obtain so much scrap aluminum and plastic.

We never labeled our products as "green" but were required to label the recycled percentage on them.

Nobody ever complained but all of the customers were automotive manufacturers so it wasn't like the consumer was going to see that we were a "green" company.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:02 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with a properly designed landfill. Landfills are environmentally benign. Plastic disposed of in a landfill causes no problems.
You're kidding me, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living