Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Stated uses for recycled plastic bags include parking lot stops, pallets, decking, and laundry baskets.

Powered by Google Docs
it's not that they *can't* be reused, it's a question of the economics in doing so. in pure practical terms, I just love no longer having this giant haystack-sized ball of plastic bags I have to try and stuff into a tiny container at the grocery store every few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 04:59 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I just found out that some crafters have figured out how to "recycle" their own plastic bags into a heavier plastic material by "fusing" them. I'm gonna try it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
are you melting them? be careful of the fumes...

Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I haven't tried it yet. The online instructions do state to ventilate fully. I'm thinking that they melt just enough to stick together but not enough to totally incinerate.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
I bring my own bags. I got them from Mother Earth News and they're made of recycled plastic bags and bottles. They are truly huge (you can pack at least 4 of those flimsy grocery store bags in them) and very durable. I've only had two blow outs, and both of those were because a heavy bag actually froze in the back of the truck on the way home... otherwise, they can handle 3 gallons or a case of cans with ease.

If I don't bring my own, I usually get plastic for stuff that might leak (like meat) and paper for vegetables. I re-use the plastic ones for icky trash that our dump requires to be "double-bagged", and re-use the paper ones in my veggie-scrap bucket and then chuck it all in my composter.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:33 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
I use plastic.... BUT... use these same bags as my garbage bags. I figure it is a net wash as if I used paper, I would have to buy plastic garbage bags.

The NY governor recently proposed a tax on plastic grocery bags. (He claimed for Environmental reasons, but is really to generate revenue). for me... this would have a net zero gain environmentally. Would have no impact as I would just buy re-useable grocery bags.... but would then purchase plastic garbage bags.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 AM

39 posts, read 84,181 times
well i'd bought one of those medium sized target bags gezz i'd managed to stuff it full with probally every thing i'd bought last saturday and everything had managed to stay in it

Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Almost always plastic, unless I have an abundance of them, then I take my own. The reason is because I'm too cheap to buy garbage bags, so grocery bags are what go in the trash cans. After all, why pay two or three bucks for a roll of garbage bags when I can get all I need from the stores for nothing.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
First of all, I never use ANY bag when buying things from a store, unless I have too many things to carry out of the store in my hands.

That said, I know two women - sisters - who crochet used plastic bags into purses, hand bags, etc. Their stuff is really kind of cool!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
I got good canvas ones in each vehicle, but mostly forget to bring them into the store. Alot of checkers around here get alittle PO'd at having to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living