Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:47 PM

266 posts, read 911,420 times

Advertisements

I LOVE Freecycle. I find it is better for us as far as getting rid of things that would be inconvenient or hard to get rid of otherwise. It's amazing, sometimes, what people will take. Around here (Albuquerque), it seems quite competitive sometimes to GET things. Is it like that everywhere? The best thing I ever got from Freecycle is a brand new and very nice Christmas tree stand (and I only had to pick it up a couple of minutes from my house!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 04:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,738,867 times
Love Freecycle. We gave away so much stuff when we downsized (i.e. got rid of unnecessary things) and people were happy to get the stuff. We also freecycled most of our son's baby things since we're not having more babies and gave away our elliptical trainer as well. I got a bread machine off of freecycle, posted a wanted ad and got several replies right away. What a wonderful concept!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I have used Freecycle a couple of times. I've also had yard sales and when things got slow in the afternoon, we went out and put up "free stuff" signs. It was really fun because people seemed so happy and they took almost everything--mis-matched cups and saucers, plastic pots, a broken coffee maker they knew was broken.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
The goodwill around here is pretty picky - kinda ticks me off. They won't take scratched furniture. No baby furniture at all. No exercise equipment.
The crisis pregnancy center takes all manner of baby stuff though - no questions asked. So I give my stuff to there.
Have not tried freecycle for the exercise equipment though...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I am an avid freecycler. I mostly give, as soon as I can convince my husband to let go of something. I have been a member in 2 different states.
This post made me laugh because I SO understand the husband having trouble letting go. My hubby is unaware that something's by the front door waiting for the new recipient (several boxes of leftover Christmas cards from 1998-2007) that we will NEVER use, but he's sure someday we might. I don't get rid of anything that is sentimental to him, but stuff like that, I have no problem freecycling. I also use it mainly to get rid of things. I don't need anything extra in this house!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I use our local Freecycle on a regular basis and it's wonderful. It's amazing how things other people consider rubbish is often exactly what you need.

One man's rubbish is another's treasure as they say. We also give old tools, reading glasses, old electronics etc... to certain charities who recondition them for the third world. So much of what in the West we consider past its use is still very useful to many places.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
it seems quite competitive sometimes to GET things. Is it like that everywhere?
Based on this thread, I just signed up for our local freecycle yahoo group. And yes, it seems to me that many more people are asking for things than giving away, EXPENSIVE THINGS! We have a large military population nearby and it seems like the bulk of wanters comes from there.

I feel a little weirded out. I've always sort of known that many military families live on the edge of poverty, but it looks bad to me.

I'm trying not to make a political statement, but edging close to one, I'm afraid. The OP asked for thoughts, and that's my initial reaction.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
I love Freecycle, use it all the time.

I was listening to BBC Radio Wales whilst at the gym the other day and nearly burst something from trying not to laugh too loud - they were talking about the things on Freecycle that week in Cardiff (Wales, UK), such as ....

a pair of plastic spinning plates - but they had unfortunately lost the sticks to spin them on,

and someone who kindly offered five frozen sausages, which the poster said were "not for us, even the dog turned his nose up at them"

and finally - a smashed up piano, in several bags, but it had been raining so might be a bit wet!!!!

Any takers?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,538 times
Talking I am the QUEEN of Freecycling :-0

We don't have Freecycle where I am now, but I belonged to a group back about 5 or 6 yrs ago (if my memory serves me WRITE ) and it was interesting to say the least . A lot of unusual requests for very expensive items . I think that I might of got ONE free item myself and almost everything that I gave away went to people who were 'reselling' the stuff on Ebay as a business.

When I have more time and it's not 3:30am , I may tell a tale or two . All in all though, I think it's a great concept and I love that items don't go to the landfill !

Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,948 times
I've mixed feelings about freecycle here in Brooklyn. I think it works much better when its just people posting what they are willing to donate. I get annoyed by people who post looking for items that are ridiculous to expect for free such as Playstations and Wiis. I think that some people are confusing freecycle with Santa Claus. But I do think its a great idea and it does seem to work well for alot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living