Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 04:06 PM

319 posts, read 1,480,062 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any tips on composting?

My partner bought a rubbermaid container from one of the big box stores and drilled holes on the top. She plans on just shaking the container every week. I wondered if anyone had a tumbling composter. I saw one in a garden shop for $200!

So we resorted to the rubbermaid container for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,276,611 times
Composting just happens. The aeration just speeds up the process. I have a big roller but when it is full, it is too heavy for me to move. In a year or so, I get black gold. I also just throw it on a fallow bed and let it rot.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,764,180 times
We have a roller one. It was great when we lived in a small townhouse. We still use it, but I want a few more piles so we can have one to add to, one to let sit, and one to use. The problem with the roller ones is you either have to stop adding stuff and let it rot, or you have to manually screen out still rotting parts to get the wonderful black gold One year, our compost sprouted peppers b/c we hadn't let it rot long enough to sterilize the seeds. Since we love peppers, it was OK

Old 03-31-2008, 12:44 PM

592 posts, read 2,247,419 times
You need to add some red wiggler worms to that tuperware ! Do a search for vermacomposting and just do it ! I cut a 55 gallon drum in half and put the two halves in my crawlspace. Added moistened newspaper and table scraps and the worms. They made the best compost I have ever seen.
If your non worm compost is composting correctly it will go through two distinct temperature changes. The second will get pretty hot. I have melted a plastic tumbler because of this.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,485,505 times
Also, limit the amount of citrus peels you put in it. They seem to retard composting for some reason, and they smell just awful when rotting.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:47 PM

42,006 posts, read 75,380,148 times
Plenty of info in the Gardening Forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...-question.html

and

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...post-pile.html

Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM

513 posts, read 898,560 times
I plan to start a compost pile this summer and have been trying to get info. When they say not to put certain items in or it will smell really bad, is it just local to the immediate area or does it go all over the neighborhood?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
I plan to start a compost pile this summer and have been trying to get info. When they say not to put certain items in or it will smell really bad, is it just local to the immediate area or does it go all over the neighborhood?
Compost only smells bad when it is not aerated - it needs to be exposed to the air, preferably turned over from time to time, to stop it going rancid.

The addition of worms helps this process as they wriggle about and keep the air going through. However, they will naturally appear in your compost, providing you leave the base in contact with the soil.

There are hundreds of sites with info, such as What can I compost?
which tell you what not to add (mainly meat, dairy and cooked foods, tho I think some cooked veg is fine, just not too much.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living