Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 05:24 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Burning used to be the way folks got rid of their waste. Perhaps we should all be more responsible to dispose of our own mess? I use a garbage disposal, we have recycling and refuse, but I’ve lived in the country where we took our recycle every few months. We burned yard refuse and disposed of garbage with a disposal.

Not sure what the historic method was, but anymore, I feel we all need to go back to a bit more self sufficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
[quote=harry chickpea;54636718]....I've no problem with the idea of recycling things, but the onus needs to be targeted on those creating excess packaging and poorly designed products instead of consumers..../QUOTE]

I recycle as my city requests, and I have no intention of ceasing. But the above comment points to where the onus should really be.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:33 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"Not sure what the historic method was"

Anything that couldn't be burned or fed to animals was dumped into the rivers or cesspits.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"Not sure what the historic method was"

Anything that couldn't be burned or fed to animals was dumped into the rivers or cesspits.
Yes but that was before the era of endless plastic packaging. The bulk of our trash is plastic packaging. We recycle cardboard, glass and metal and we compost garbage. Plastic is awful stuff, it is killing the oceans.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But we were told back in the 1970s that we were going to reduce our reliance on oil. Right around the time of the oil crisis. We were going to use other forms of energy. Yet we are still waiting. Oil is responsible for the plastics. Reduce or stop the oil and there goes the plastic problem.
Actually we were going to reduce our reliance on Middle Eastern oil. That has been accomplished.
The big push was stop logging & save our forests---use plastics instead.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 AM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times
When the government makes a project out of sorting trash from "recyclables" this is what happens. And this is in an affluent area.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:06 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yes but that was before the era of endless plastic packaging. The bulk of our trash is plastic packaging. We recycle cardboard, glass and metal and we compost garbage. Plastic is awful stuff, it is killing the oceans.

That's why the first component of "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" is reduce and not recycle. We need to minimize the amount of plastics (and other substances) going into our waste stream, whether it's into the trash or recycling bin. The trend of drinking "spring water" from plastic bottles is a great example. About half of that bottled water is "purified" tap water anyway.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:36 AM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That's why the first component of "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" is reduce and not recycle. We need to minimize the amount of plastics (and other substances) going into our waste stream, whether it's into the trash or recycling bin. The trend of drinking "spring water" from plastic bottles is a great example. About half of that bottled water is "purified" tap water anyway.
Ah, the agenda! It's to make us feel guilty for affluence, right? Now I understand. And you're succeeding. A mixed blessing at best. None of this "feel good" stuff is free and unfortunately the moneys come from other needed public programs. Or more taxes.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Ah, the agenda! It's to make us feel guilty for affluence, right? Now I understand. And you're succeeding. A mixed blessing at best. None of this "feel good" stuff is free and unfortunately the moneys come from other needed public programs. Or more taxes.

I have no agenda except to point out that unnecessary over-packaging, whether it be for tap water or HDMI cables, is a big part of the plastic disposal problem. If your response is to feel guilty, that's your prerogative. I'd like to see some eco-conscious organizations put up a wall-of-shame on their websites for companies that wantonly package their products in unnecessary layers of plastic, along with alternative suppliers.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:01 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Up until August 1 (today), we had weekly recycling pickup. My neighborhood, which is fairly big (around 1000 houses, at least one apartment complex, and several "patio" homes), was near 100% participation. Much of the rest of my town had a high participation rate as well.

Now, instead of weekly, we're going to monthly pickup with blue wheeled containers much like the big garbage cans. They can be emptied just like the garbage cans without a person having to jump off the truck and empty the bins by hand (and people will be losing their jobs as a result).

The problem is, just about every neighborhood in the city has an HOA that doesn't allow garbage cans to sit out in the open, and the bright blue recycling containers will be highly visible. Most houses don't have garages with enough space to store two big containers along with vehicles, so it'll be interesting to see how the participation rate suffers. I would not be surprised to see recycling to just go away eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living