Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You are categorically wrong ............
Transmission voltages vary from 69 kv up to 765 kv. While Distribution is 69Kv and below....
This has pictures for those that need them.............

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/ele...ion_lines.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elec...r_transmission

This may help even more...

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...icity_delivery
Funny stuff. You are stating I'm wrong and then just tossing out links that don't support that claim, but do mine.

"Today, transmission-level voltages are usually considered to be 110 kV and above. Lower voltages, such as 66 kV and 33 kV, are usually considered subtransmission voltages, but are occasionally used on long lines with light loads. Voltages less than 33 kV are usually used for distribution. Voltages above 765 kV are considered extra high voltage and require different designs compared to equipment used at lower voltages. "

Take a good look at the little image in your last link:

See where it shows generation and long distance transmission involving step-up transformers, and then step down transformers for distribution? That is EXACTLY what I said.

I can't argue with you proving my point, but it is rather painful to watch you repeatedly shoot yourself in the foot. Have a good day, and feel free to continue to provide supporting links to my statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Funny stuff. You are stating I'm wrong and then just tossing out links that don't support that claim, but do mine.

"Today, transmission-level voltages are usually considered to be 110 kV and above. Lower voltages, such as 66 kV and 33 kV, are usually considered subtransmission voltages, but are occasionally used on long lines with light loads. Voltages less than 33 kV are usually used for distribution. Voltages above 765 kV are considered extra high voltage and require different designs compared to equipment used at lower voltages. "

Take a good look at the little image in your last link:

See where it shows generation and long distance transmission involving step-up transformers, and then step down transformers for distribution? That is EXACTLY what I said.

I can't argue with you proving my point, but it is rather painful to watch you repeatedly shoot yourself in the foot. Have a good day, and feel free to continue to provide supporting links to my statements.
As a reminder you said
Quote:
Distribution (again generally) starts at the highest voltage and works down

Just can't stand being wrong can you.....

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/ele...ion_lines.html

It's been fun playing... I have to go do real work in the Electric Generation industry....

Last edited by my54ford; 03-14-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...nias-wildfires

CA energy companies are being sued to cover damages from last summer's terrible fires in CA. There is good evidence that at least a couple of those fires were started by exploding transformers.....But what caused the transformers to explode?...Could it be the strain caused by overload of the system when the unreliable solar supply petered out and the conventional back-up generation kicked in?
The Paradise fire was caused by high winds that were a high risk to the transformers. PG&E had warned the community, that it would have to turn the electricity off possibly overnight, to avoid a disaster, but residents complained, so PG&E stupidly caved to their demands to keep the electrical service on. If they'd followed through with their safety measure, PG&E wouldn't be being sued, and the fire wouldn't have happened.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:45 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
So ONE transformer, out of how many, went bad due to wind (how is the wind supposed to affect a transformer?)?

Why is it PG&E is stupid but all the many residents who demanded continuing service aren't stupid?

It seems PG&E was going to be sued no matter what they did.

It's not like there were never any fires in CA before they had electricity or that they never had high winds that didn't cause fires. Seems to me the odds are with the power company, not against them.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:59 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
PG&E transmission line caused the outage. High winds are not going to qualify as an "act of God" to absolve them of liability. It is PG&E's job to maintain their lines to avoid outage related fires. BTW there is no report of a transformer involved in the event.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
PG&E transmission line caused the outage. High winds are not going to qualify as an "act of God" to absolve them of liability. It is PG&E's job to maintain their lines to avoid outage related fires. BTW there is no report of a transformer involved in the event.
One thing I would ask PGE is when is the last time they did a short circuit study? Lines dancing on the ground throwing sparks tells me protection devices are set to high or even non existent. Even automatic reclosers should have opened after 3 faults and pole top fuzes immediately...........Pole top transformers exploding/burning is one thing but a fault that doesn't clear is quite another!

Old 03-17-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
One thing I would ask PGE is when is the last time they did a short circuit study? Lines dancing on the ground throwing sparks tells me protection devices are set to high or even non existent. Even automatic reclosers should have opened after 3 faults and pole top fuzes immediately...........Pole top transformers exploding/burning is one thing but a fault that doesn't clear is quite another!
I'm not completely clear on the facts here. It seems to be a transmission related outage. There shouldn't be any vegetation close enough to the lines to cause a fire. I think PG&E's maintenance records will be a major issue as will their vegetation management.

There are cases where distribution lines intertwine with tree canopy, but transmission should be kept clear.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm not completely clear on the facts here. It seems to be a transmission related outage. There shouldn't be any vegetation close enough to the lines to cause a fire. I think PG&E's maintenance records will be a major issue as will their vegetation management.

There are cases where distribution lines intertwine with tree canopy, but transmission should be kept clear.
Veg control at the distribution level can be problematic...Folks can go absolutely nuts if they think you cutting their trees too much........

Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Veg control at the distribution level can be problematic...Folks can go absolutely nuts if they think you cutting their trees too much........
I regularly fight with my utility and have told them I will chain myself to my trees in the right of way rather than have them butcher them. They can underground the service or install taller poles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living