Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 07:04 PM

57 posts, read 46,834 times

Advertisements

So i suck at using my references when I need them ,but I read that water in San Francisco is cleaner then most bottled water Google that u should get a hit ,I guess municipalities have higher standers minus Flint of course

Also u want to be green but yet trendy that figi water comes on a big ole boat that boat isn't ran off solar ,so think about reusable water bottles,I came across a 32 ounce hard plastic bottle with a unscrewable lid says Starbucks on it but I got it at Goodwill

Is it fugi or figi idk anyway enjoy life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 09:38 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Modern people act like "bottled water" is a relatively new invention and that "in the old days" people drank from drinking fountains. True and false. In the "old days" people drank from canteens. These came in a variety of configurations but my old Boy Scout canteen from 40 years ago works as well as the day it was made. I don't have any plastic bottles that are 40 years old.

Plastic bottles are modern day, disposable canteens. I rarely buy plastic bottled water but when I do, it is carbonated "seltzer" water that comes in a more sturdy plastic bottle. I re-use it for about 6 months until it starts to get gross and then I put it in the recycling bin. Notice that I didn't say that "I recycled it" when I put it in the recycling bin. I was recycling the bottle when I kept refilling it for 6 months. When it goes into the recycling bin, I don't have any idea what is really going to happen to it. Putting anything into a recycling bin is not recycling unless it's aluminum. It's just throwing things away into a specific bin. A lot of "recycled plastics" got shipped to various countries that, not surprisingly, dump 90% of the plastic that is in the oceans. Where do you think they got it from?

Old 10-29-2019, 06:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
I use them because I want to.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Once in a while, when I forget to bring along my own water bottle.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:47 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
We never buy bottled water, ever. We fill our own bottles from the tap.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:18 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
We get the big 5 gallon reusable jugs of water for home and work.

We use tap water for coffee, cooking and cleaning, but like the purified water to drink because we drink so much (no sodas).

In the olden days, I used to distill water for drinking, before bottled water was a thing.

And growing up, we drank out of the tap, the water fountains, outdoor hoses, wherever.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:25 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,204 times
I use water bottles all the time; literally everyday. I have 2 reusable water bottles that use during a workout, driving in the car, and one I take while traveling. I also have various coffee and wine tumblers. Still, we have a case of plastic bottled water in our pantry for emergencies, guests, and contractors. I personally open a plastic bottle of water maybe twice a year.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
I buy cases of bottled water at Home Depot primarily to give out to my crews (construction) plus that way I always have some in the back seat. Back when I was a kid we used to drink water from a hose...I remember kinda liking the way that tasted....

Old 11-02-2019, 11:42 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
I don't think modern children drink out of hoses, run through sprinklers, or have "water fights". They stare at their screens nearly 24/7 and can't be bothered to use a search engine to find out what a "water balloon" is much less have any motivation to use one.

I'm glad I grew up when I did. We'd pull carrots straight up out of the dirt, rinse it off with hose water, eat the carrot, and rinse it down with hose water.

Do modern kids know what real carrots even look like? Not wondering if they know how to grow one (no) but even identify what the greens look like so they would know to pull it out of the ground and eat it? (no)

Old 11-03-2019, 12:31 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Yes we buy them, but not very often. We need extra water bottles to leave in our cars because we live in a rural area where you can be stranded in the snow for hours/days before someone would find your car and we need to have drinking water.

We also use them on occasion for when we head to the pool and I don't want to carry the giant metal water bottles for all of us because they are heavy and clumsy. Easier to just throw in a few small water bottles and go. For the majority of the time though we do use the big metal reusable water bottles, or our hydration packs for when we're hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living