Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times

Advertisements

I just watched a Dirty Jobs episode about a dairy farm. They collect all of the cow poo and use it to create methane, which they then use to power the entire 16,000 acre farm. After the methane has been taken, the remaining solids are used to fertilize the crops that are used to feed the cows.

This is the farm they visited on the show: Fair Oaks Farms: From Grass-to-Glass (broken link)

The page on how they use and protect the land is particularly relevant to this thread: Fair Oaks Farms: From Grass-to-Glass (broken link)

Using manure for power generation sounds like a great idea.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Someone may choose to eat meat 3 days a week instead of 6 days a week, someone else may decide to go all the way and go vegan, any effort is better than no effort IF it's agreed that consuming meat is harmful to the environment.

And that's how I understood the original point of this thread to be - is it harmful to the environment and if so, what can we as individuals do about it?
My point is that you among others on the thread are putting all meat in a black and white world and won't open your eyes to the various shades of gray. Not all meat is factory farmed, and some meats have less of an impact on the environment than others. People can be educated about the difference, just as they have been educated to spend more money for CFC bulbs instead of incandescent.

People may not be willing to cut back on meat consumption, but many are willing to pay a little more for something that is better for them and/or the environment.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
IF it's agreed that consuming meat is harmful to the environment.
If you look at what rabbits did to Australia, you'll see that sometimes killing and eating meat is a good thing for the environment. The same thing is true for deer and other vermin in North America.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Default Maybe. Maybe not!

sterlinggirl wrote:
If you look at what rabbits did to Australia, you'll see that sometimes killing and eating meat is a good thing for the environment. The same thing is true for deer and other vermin in North America.
Maybe. Maybe not!

For many years it appeared to be a good thing that the forest service was doing by snuffing out all forest fires. In reality however, mans intervention allowed the underbrush to grow, which now serves as fuel for todays super fires.

Perhaps, the interference of man as hunter will pan out to have similar consequences. The outcome of our seemingly wise intervention often takes many years to become fully apparent.

Just to be clear, I'm just throwing this out there as food for thought. The animals who lose their lives in the process are the big losers with hunting. In the grand scheme of things, it may or may not be a beneficial practice.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Perhaps, the interference of man as hunter will pan out to have similar consequences. The outcome of our seemingly wise intervention often takes many years to become fully apparent.
There's no perhaps about it. We already interfere by killing the 'dangerous' predators that naturally regulate populations. Since the prey animals don't have something to control their numbers, we need to do the job of the predators we've displaced.

Unless you're willing to live with coyotes and lions eating your poodle and the occasional hiker, there isn't much choice in the matter.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
For the record, I want to state that I have no problem with cougars eating poodles. Especially poodles in sweaters.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
For the record, I want to state that I have no problem with cougars eating poodles. Especially poodles in sweaters.
Very cute!!! I'll settle this argument - meat consumption is bad for the animals. And if something is bad for the animals, we'll end up paying the price. Everyone should be a vegetarian. Who needs meat? That would be nobody, no how, no way.

Some people hate wolves because they are more efficient predators than man. I truly think that attitude has a lot to do with why people "hunt." It's kind of an inferiority complex that rabid hunters have. Now, since hunting wolves is legal again, we will see them hunted to extinction. And then, we will be over run by those "wascally" Australian rabbits - we're in big trouble!!!

Wait a minute, what was this thread about? I got lost in the last several posts...

Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
My point is that you among others on the thread are putting all meat in a black and white world and won't open your eyes to the various shades of gray. Not all meat is factory farmed, and some meats have less of an impact on the environment than others. People can be educated about the difference, just as they have been educated to spend more money for CFC bulbs instead of incandescent.

People may not be willing to cut back on meat consumption, but many are willing to pay a little more for something that is better for them and/or the environment.
I think one of the reasons why this thread became soooo long is because of this gray area.

I advocate avoiding factory farm meat, others advocate avoiding meat completely, and some deny that there's any problem with meat at all. It's all relative.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
....and that really is the crux of it .

It's not about what someone prefers to eat, or believes they have to eat. It's not about raising your own pets/food, it's not about what you see when you look out your window (talk about a microcosm ). It's not about whether you don't like one particular link cited (so you write them all off? ).

It's about what factory farmed meat does to the environment. If we are all open to the possibility that we might be contributing to some significant environmental damage each time we purchase meat, then maybe we can make a better choice.
Ahhh, riveree... I can see why you have so many reps...

Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
So you're willing to write it off as that? Factory farmed meat is hard on the environment, and people can't be educated to buy responsibly produced products, so we need to make choices other than meat?

I must of missed something...

I think people can/should be educated about where it comes from and consider the environment when they buy anything... including meat (or even tofu for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living