Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 08:31 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2 View Post
The quickest way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions is to lower the speed limit to 55 MPH.

no the quickest way to reduce emissions would be to build more traffic lanes on the freeways and remove the lanes that are never full during congested driving times.

Instead of spending money to improve traffic we have traffic sensors , traffic centers, cameras,
we continue to put more cars on the freeways in the same space at the same time and until new lanes are avaliable to put those cars on , congestion will not improve
Yes, in my opinion the cameras are a stupid and counter-productive gesture. They totally failed in Phoenix (except for the intersection cameras, installed to catch red light runners).

Probably this will resolve as we move toward more EV's and self-driving cars, and let the computers move people comfortably, at reasonable speeds and lower emissions. People are going to be less in a hurry when they can be reading or playing video games.

I mean, some will always be in a rush; can't get around that. But Joe and Mary Sixpack will sit back and watch Netflix and get there when they get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 09:05 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
My experience with computers/smartphones tells me that if I want to go to Weeki Watchee, I will probably wind up in Pahokee.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:33 AM

938 posts, read 424,288 times
Not going to read all the pages. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again......

Turn off China, turn off India. Climate change problem fixed. America is not responsible for so called climate change. The 55MPH SF thing is just another annoying way for CA to make headlines.

How about they solve the human poop problem?

Old 08-22-2020, 01:46 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Not going to read all the pages. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again......

Turn off China, turn off India. Climate change problem fixed. America is not responsible for so called climate change. The 55MPH SF thing is just another annoying way for CA to make headlines.

How about they solve the human poop problem?
What is the speed limit now?

Old 08-22-2020, 01:53 PM

316 posts, read 196,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What is the speed limit now?
Legal is as high as 70 MPH in some stretches of California, which keeps the flow under 85 on I5 down through the central valley.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:54 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
Legal is as high as 70 MPH in some stretches of California, which keeps the flow under 85 on I5 down through the central valley.
Isn't the lowering for the Bay Area only?

Old 08-22-2020, 04:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So, this is really about bashing Trump, not reducing emissions.

Is there any evidence that 55mph would reduce emissions by 25% in today's vehicles?

Today's vehicles are much cleaner and more efficient than the American cars of the early 1970s when 55 was first imposed.

Last time I drove in the Bay area was early 2019, and it was terrifying. All these elevated curving ramps and elevated highways, with right exits, left exits, and crazy traffic. The posted speed limits were 45 or 50 yet everyone was doing 70 to 80 and very aggressive, worse than Boston. They come right up behind you and flash their brights. I try to stay out of people's way but if I have a left exit, I'm not going to move to the right, sorry.

Anyway it's hard to imagine this crowd all slowing down to 55 (let alone 50). And Calif. is so huge for anyone traveling any amount of distance to add an extra half hour or hour to their trip... fuggetaboutit.
If I recall correctly most of the highways as you get closer to Oakland are already posted at 55... and pretty much, everybody is going slower due to traffic. The bay bridge is set at 50. And my daily driving on that is why I now have an automatic and no longer have a stick shift.

I’m so happy to be retired and don’t have to deal with this, and I do my level best to never get on the freeway because they aren’t necessarily the fastest way to get from point a to point B anymore due to all the traffic, and they’re boring. I’d far rather go on back roads much slower with stop lights, stop signs and houses to look at than be on the freeway in creep and beep traffic.

We used to go to Fremont from Oakland on a regular basis. It got to the point where I took an afternoon snack with us, because we’d eat breakfast out but we wouldn’t get home until five.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:07 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
FYI, it's Newsom.

And gimme a break. 55 mph s*cks.

What will really help is affordable electric cars.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:44 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
California state government is getting restless with COVID, and needs to keep coming up with ridiculous ways to tell people what to do. Some of it will be undone by propositions. Which will then trigger the far left to tell people what to do. Which will then trigger more propositions.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:05 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
Going faster saves nothing. Going slower saves EVERYTHING.

All of you people arguing over the possibility of being 'ordered' to slow down just don't WANT to do what you're told, and you know I'm telling you the truth.

Fun-fact: all these hybrids (and full-on electric vehicles) that've been rolling off the assembly-lines for the better-part of the past decade already have on-board digital-programming which the Gov't can and WILL put to good-use, when & if it is decided to slow ALL of us down...

...and there is'nt a damn thing ANY of you can do about it.

'Big-Brother' has the power, because YOU wanted them to have it.

You are going to learn to smell what you're shoveling, and you are going to LIKE it, or else.

You made your own beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living