Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 11:25 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My experience with computers/smartphones tells me that if I want to go to Weeki Watchee, I will probably wind up in Pahokee.
I was looking at Weeki Watchee's Website this morning; we had planned a trip there this spring, but...covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 11:42 AM

317 posts, read 197,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Going faster saves nothing. Going slower saves EVERYTHING.
One of our most precious commodities is time, I'd hardly categorize it as nothing.

If you want to waste yours, fine... just do it in the far right lane.

As we've all posted many times here this experiment was attempted before on a national level and was an abject failure.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:38 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,699,740 times
The problem is that whatever the SPEED, there and in Timbaktu is, Idiots out there will always be driving 30 miles over the Limit and more.

With No Cops, Cameras and or Speed Traps, Americans are always trying to break the Speed records everywhere they drive.

I pass on the left then I get out of Dodge...Simple.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
The problem is that whatever the SPEED, there and in Timbaktu is, Idiots out there will always be driving 30 miles over the Limit and more.

With No Cops, Cameras and or Speed Traps, Americans are always trying to break the Speed records everywhere they drive.

I pass on the left then I get out of Dodge...Simple.
With today's technology it would be easy to create vehicles that only go the speed limit no matter where they travel. There would be no reason for tickets or fines or speed enforcement officers. Unfortunately we want the other drivers to own these vehicles and we do not want the same controls on ours!

Old 08-24-2020, 06:16 PM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post

Two opposing problems: Time: @ 60 mph you go 30 mi in 30 min. @ 75mph, you go 30 mi in 24 min, a savings of 6 lousy minutes vs increased risk, etc.

OTOH- traffic flows under the same patterns & principles as water (interesting math/physics. Look it up.) That means a car in traffic is just like a canoe in a river-- If you're not paddling to keep yourself going faster than the current, you're just adrift and not in control...The dilemma-- How can everyone be going faster than traffic? ..They can't, obviously. The trick is to know that point and go a little faster than everybody else who doesn't know it so you're more in control, but not so fast you lose control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With today's technology it would be easy to create vehicles that only go the speed limit no matter where they travel.
See paragraph above. ...Is it better to have a team of engineers/computer programmers to give us one program in advance to regulate all possibilities for traffic (can they anticipate weather problems, vehicles breaking down, power failures etc etc)...or is it better for each unit in the game able to make independent decisions onthe spot?... Chaotic systems can be remarkably efficient because they usually show "strange attractors" that keeps the system returning to baseline after small perturbations.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
See paragraph above. ...Is it better to have a team of engineers/computer programmers to give us one program in advance to regulate all possibilities for traffic (can they anticipate weather problems, vehicles breaking down, power failures etc etc)...or is it better for each unit in the game able to make independent decisions onthe spot?... Chaotic systems can be remarkably efficient because they usually show "strange attractors" that keeps the system returning to baseline after small perturbations.
What I observed as a truck driver is the opposite of this claim from Australia: https://www.speedcameras.sa.gov.au/#camera-locations (that they had a up to a 21% reduction in crashes and injuries where they installed speed cameras). I do not believe that all safety equipment or regulations are safe. Many are driven by politics and bribes (donations given by companies that want politicians to choose their company).

When on red light camera highways I observed more broken glass, plastic and metal at the intersections. The car in front of a driver did not want a ticket so they slam on their brakes without consideration for the stopping distance of the vehicle behind them. Of course the driver behind them should not have been as close as they were. But the reality of these devices, to save lives and accidents, was that they caused more accidents: https://www.motorists.org/issues/red...ASE-ACCIDENTS/.

Any change to current systems has to be studied carefully before it is implemented. Just like this push for a 55 mph speed limit. If the department of transportation does not get the funding for more traffic police they could easily turn to the speed cameras currently in use in Australia. I do not think that most of our motorist would appreciate that system; especially when they see the fines pile up in their mailbox.

I just worry about who that "team of engineers/computer programmers" works for? Do they work to make our lives easier or do they work for a company that wants more work?

Old 08-25-2020, 08:23 AM

^^^ can't rep you again yet.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/red-l...ate-lawmakers/

Illinois has already been caught in the corruption scandal, and numerous studies have shown intersection cameras have increased the number of accidents--People either speed up dangerously or suddenly slam on the brakes to void getting caught.

I think it was the Roman historian Tacitus who said "The more laws, the more chances for corruption."

Old 08-25-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
^^^ can't rep you again yet.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/red-l...ate-lawmakers/

Illinois has already been caught in the corruption scandal, and numerous studies have shown intersection cameras have increased the number of accidents--People either speed up dangerously or suddenly slam on the brakes to void getting caught.

I think it was the Roman historian Tacitus who said "The more laws, the more chances for corruption."
Thank you!

In Illinois I used to drive Route 30 I with their red light cameras. We had a terminal outside Chicago. Almost every intersection had signs of a past accidents. It was where I first observed the absurdity of this new 'safety device'.

Some of the studies also show that the yellow caution light times were reduced as revenues dropped after motorist became aware of the cameras. It was a win/win for the local governments and a lose/lose for the drivers that used the roads.

It would not surprise me at all that the next step, with slower speed limits, would be to install the speed cameras. It would be a logical assumption since it seems so many want fewer police today.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thank you!

It would not surprise me at all that the next step, with slower speed limits, would be to install the speed cameras. It would be a logical assumption since it seems so many want fewer police today.
That's the ultimate goal of the electronic toll gates...They'll record your time from station to station and mail out speeding tickets electronically.

Remember how incensed we were when we read 1984 back in the 50s & 60s?..Now "we" keep electing these Big Brothers voluntarily. ???? The parable of the scalded frog.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
In Michigan when the speed limit was 55 people typically drove 80. They raised the speed limits to 60 and 65 and people typically drove 80. Now we have 70 mph limits and some 75. People typically drive 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living