Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 06:19 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,392,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
In California they are getting flex alerts, planned outages, and rolling blackouts to worry about more and more often. Imagine having* no charge to drive out to evacuate for a wildfire.*They are now using the same concept for power bills as phone companies and dial up ISPs used to do for landlines pricing calls per minute based on demand times.* *
Alas Not everyone can wait to charge their car to sleep*hours, just as with filling up one may need to charge up when having dinner so you can be able to drive at a moment's notice after dinner. Not everyone has access to chargers during the day, or at work, or overnight if they live in multi family housing.* I remember seeing how a car charger charges 35c a kilowatt hour. Now the state is shutting down its last operational Nuclear plant the*electric*cost and the power crunch is only going to get worse. The state already needs to import large amounts of power to meet demand at evenings and when there is no wind.* I believe the state would need to mandate solar panels, windmills, and strong backup batteries for all structures and parking lots with EV chargers for this to work out mandating*alternative fueled*vehicles . Or that cars also work with another fuel i.e hydrogen or Compressed natural gas in addition to electricity.*
You know what I used to think it's foolish*to burn fossil fuels to power and cool houses during the summer when we have the sun, wind, and water. But now I realize there are always nights to contend with* and as well as days with no wind and droughts that can stall hydroelectric dams. Thus we seriously need backup batteries and power sources.*
That is not realistic - the vehicle is charged nightly so almost always at 80% charge or above - so no issue to evacuating several hundred miles if needed. You keep thinking of this like gas vehicle - the car is full all the time because gas station is as close as any outlet (120v works fine but slow).

You also do not seem to READ and understand when you charge - charging is done at low demand, not during high power demand. Evening is NOT overnight - there is a lot of excess power overnight 99% of the time. My cost to charge is $0.09/kw under EV plan overnight (12-6 am) when excess power - that is not evenings - it goes as high as $0.56/kw at peak demand during the evening which is 4-9 pm but who is going to charge at 8x the cost. My house in LV has solar so actually no issue with power demand - most of the time I am feeding the grid at $0.11 and drawing at $0.044 overnight.

So many act like evacuation is an everyday concern, I had one evacuation about 18 years ago and I could walk outside the evacuation area in about 10 min if needed. Even if was an evacuation for hurricane like I had when we lived in NOLA - 100 miles gets you outside most zones and gas vehicles are about as constrained as EVs.

Most of the talk of rolling blackouts is NorCal - not where I live in SoCal. I have only had one blackout in 20 years and it was due to concern with high wind - lasted about 6 hours, never a rolling blackout do to power issues - not really a concern. Of course if there were to be high demand - would not charge that night since likely already full enough to evacuate well outside of any danger zone.

If you don't have access to charging then get something else but many use EVs charging from public chargers. I really could care less if it doesn't work for you, I am not advocating them or any mandates - that is a you problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 06:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,378,871 times
I think I will play system engineer for a few minutes.

Understand the possible solutions. Somewhere soon the industry can and should set a standard for charging. A battery pack can be divided into sections and then charged individually. So all you need is an industry agreement and then you can charge any vehicle in less than 10 minutes. And it is simple stuff. Just needs an industry agreement.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:28 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,558,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You are quick with the put-downs
Maybe so. Good point, well taken. Not really in keeping with City-Data gentile style. Thank you.

Have been tracking FUD generated by New Nuke Fanbois and paid con-men, so it has become dis-tasteful.

Quote:
yet you do not really seem to understand the issues. It is you that doesn't have a clue - if source is solar, then need something to cover when sun is not shining such as night or overcast. Wind has similar issues - you can't control power output to meet demand.
I pretty much work and live this. For decades now -- so per your example >>>

https://electricityplans.com/texas/c...tricity-plans/

Night Time. Night Time is already surplus to the point of being free. We already know that NO additional night time generation is needed. It is already so over-built it is down to the point of worthless. Meanwhile Day Time is valuable and in demand. Silicon Solar PV is by far the Cheapest, Cleanest, Fastest, and Lowest Risk new generation and it produces . . . during the day.

Quote:
Nukes have been going under in the US but not the world - mostly due to those who are "fearful" and not really understanding the technology.
No. Just No. See, THAT is where I see the New Nuke Con-Man Sales nonsense start.

Nukes problems are not based in others' "fears."

Nukes problems are that they have ran out of Stupid Folks with Money to sell them to.

Even France (yes France) is cutting back on Nukes.

We already covered this upthread -- sorry to quote myself, but:

=====================
Nukes:
+ Most Expensive
+ Long-Term Dirty
+ Slowest
+ Highest Risk
+ Everything in contact become waste and requires disposal
+ Long Service Life, but many are shutting down and going broke before even ending.
+ Constant Maintenance and Operations costs
+ Deadly toxins, and most existing US reactors are now leaking
+ Requires about 1 square mile per reactor
+ Central Plant Corporate Ownership model extracts money from local communities.
+ Would require so many (1000+ reactors) to carry US, that the first ones would be worn out before the last ones could even be built.

So do you see why -- here in 2021 . . . no one really wants a New Nuke, and why Silicon Solar PV is the leading New Generation?
=========================

Quote:
Nukes need no storage - they can run whenever wanted -
And still cannot hit the peak, while producing unneeded surplus at night.

Makes New Nukes rather worthless.

Quote:
I am guessing that you do not really understand how the technology works, have never run a power plant or have any idea about meeting capacity.
ummm, yes. Grid Level US MSEE/BSEE, and 30 Year Master. Thanks for asking. Have "Run" (as well as designed, built, modified, etc.) as you say -- Coal, Hydro, Big Wind, Solar Thermal, Solar PV, Gas (Turbine and Boiler), and even interfaces for Nukes. That is all across the last 30+ years.

But it is now 2021.

Here is reality in 2021 >>> https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46416

At this point most everything is going away except for Solar PV, Big Wind, Some Gas Combined Cycle -- and even the one boondoggle Nuke that is cited in that link . . . is not even coming on line this year (yet again) anyway.

Quote:
BTW - I have several EVs that I drive daily, I haven't bought gas in over a year.
Then you already understand you can charge them FAR easier from local site Solar PV than using a New Nuke?

Old 08-31-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I think I will play system engineer for a few minutes.

Understand the possible solutions. Somewhere soon the industry can and should set a standard for charging. A battery pack can be divided into sections and then charged individually. So all you need is an industry agreement and then you can charge any vehicle in less than 10 minutes. And it is simple stuff. Just needs an industry agreement.
ISA (aka Industry Standard Architecture) could go a long way in this, you are very correct.

But likely more so out beyond Batteries -- and on to Grid Power Electric Roadways.

These allow the vehicles to go unlimited miles without regard to charging.

Presently the leading methods are:

+ Road Coils -- Inductive Power Transfer from the Roadway to Vehicle

+ Overhead -- for Trucks, being done in Sweden and Germany.

+ Road Tracks, or Conductors -- for all vehicles -- being done in Sweden and Germany

Old 08-31-2021, 02:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,378,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
ISA (aka Industry Standard Architecture) could go a long way in this, you are very correct.

But likely more so out beyond Batteries -- and on to Grid Power Electric Roadways.

These allow the vehicles to go unlimited miles without regard to charging.

Presently the leading methods are:

+ Road Coils -- Inductive Power Transfer from the Roadway to Vehicle

+ Overhead -- for Trucks, being done in Sweden and Germany.

+ Road Tracks, or Conductors -- for all vehicles -- being done in Sweden and Germany
Perhaps but I do not think so. Perhaps for long haul trucks and busses but I do not think we are going to be willing to do it to anything but large freeways and such.

Also may make more sense to equip major roads with setups for charging batteries as you proceed. Maybe a 10 mile stretch every 100 miles to let vehicles charge.

And the next few years will see the introduction of the solid state batteries. And these are going to have a very big impact on EVs. So I think we need to let development go on for a few more years before we decide the appropriate strategies.

Old 09-05-2021, 02:29 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,573,544 times
"Run on less" began this past Thursday, and continues for three weeks.
Thirteen truck operators from class 8 down, using electric motors under different conditions log pertinent info.
The website has profiles of the participants/vehicles/routes. You can follow the daily progress of each participant by going to the Metrics tab.

https://runonless.com/

Old 09-16-2021, 05:16 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,740,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Maybe you have a similar thing to guido going on?

New things and new thoughts cannot exist, because you can not align them with old thoughts and old things?

I follow you are or were . . . an expert on such things . . . some decades ago. But consider we are now into a whole new Century -- it is 2021, now -- and times and technology have advanced. It is not 1973 or whatever, anymore. That was 50 years ago.

In THIS Century and THIS Decade, in particular -- remember, it is 2021 -- we are no longer building Coal, have only one New Nuke boondoggle going on (which cannot even be brought on line), and most Coal and Nukes are shutting down. Even Natural Gas is stalling out. All the BIG - MECHANICAL - TONS of Spinning Steel and Conductors . . . is fading to the past. I know from prior conversations around here that nothing changes in olde folkes mindes -- but out in the REAL World -- Times and Technology is moving on.

I track this stuff out ahead because I do the permit reviewing out some years ahead. So I already have the look-ahead. But hit this link, and you can see the numbers of NOW -- this Decade, this Century -- with pretty graphs, pictures and all that. The Look-Ahead is to mostly Renewable, and especially Silicon Solar PV -- because it has won on: Cheapest, Fastest, Cleanest, and Lowest Risk. Everything we want in an Energy Source. Really, go ahead and look. These numbers are correct >>>

https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...be-carbon-free

As far as your technical question -- regarding Unity and Voltage/Current control into the 1E9 watt range. Yes, that has been the case for some decades now as well. You already know this, if you think about it? At the terminal or receiving end of EVERY HVDC line there is a LARGE (actually parallel set of Large) Inverters doing just that.

Here is just a short list of some of the bigger ones around the world >>> https://www.power-technology.com/fea...lines-4167964/
Sorry it took so long to respond to your post but we got busy on the up front engineering for our next 40 MW NG engine plant. You know the kind no one is building anymore. But I think you need to rethink your position.... It figures you are a permit engineer.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:21 AM

9,444 posts, read 11,198,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Funny how many people want to get away from oil because of the perceived need to import oil from other countries. But few see any issue importing EV batteries and EV battery materials from China.
We achieved energy independence recently. Then the election, and Mr. Virtue took care of that.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Sorry it took so long to respond to your post but we got busy on the up front engineering for our next 40 MW NG engine plant. You know the kind no one is building anymore. But I think you need to rethink your position.... It figures you are a permit engineer.
Wind up doing a lot more than permits. You should get and see things in the wider world some?

You are likely tapering down to be near the last. Fossil plant(s), that is.

You have seen the numbers?

WAY more so, next year and next.

The business folks are planning to cut off your money . . .

https://www.wsj.com/articles/batteri...on-11620236583

Old 09-16-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
We achieved energy independence recently. Then the election, and Mr. Virtue took care of that.
Who is your "we?" It is not US.

US has been a Net Oil Importer since 1972.

Had nothing to do with either of the morons in the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living