Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 06:15 PM

87 posts, read 139,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Nothing has zero environmental impact. EV have way lower an impact than ICE autos. Lots of misinformation being spread by the American Petroleum Institute. Don't be a rube.
Absolutely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 07:00 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
We really don't have enough electricity to power this many electric cars based on the state of the power grid today. I would expect electricity to be just as expensive as gasoline should state takes this route.
There will be serious mobility issues as well. It's part of the drive to make us into a Third World country.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:09 PM

1,065 posts, read 472,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There will be serious mobility issues as well. It's part of the drive to make us into a Third World country.
What mobility issues? And how does it drive us to being a third world country? Seems a bit of illogical nonsense with no explanation to me.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
What mobility issues? And how does it drive us to being a third world country? Seems a bit of illogical nonsense with no explanation to me.
I am assuming that the supply of electricity will not be sufficient to allow 24/7/365 driving. There are likely to be situations were charging stations don't have sufficient juice. There may well be rationing of some sort. That is what I think the green advocates have in mind. They think our self-indulgent living standards are too high. they call it not freedom but freedumb.

Right now we can drive where we want, when we want, and fill up at a selection of 24 hour gas stations. If I want to drive, say, to North Carolina in the middle of the night I can. In an EV environment, will I have to take into account the ability to charge?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:37 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
I am assuming that the supply of electricity will not be sufficient to allow 24/7/365 driving. There are likely to be situations were charging stations don't have sufficient juice. There may well be rationing of some sort. That is what I think the green advocates have in mind. They think our self-indulgent living standards are too high. they call it not freedom but freedumb.

Right now we can drive where we want, when we want, and fill up at a selection of 24 hour gas stations. If I want to drive, say, to North Carolina in the middle of the night I can. In an EV environment, will I have to take into account the ability to charge?
I guess I don't understand why you think can't charge an EV at night - currently that is the low demand time so there are incentives to charge an EV then. In my case in CA, the price of a KW drops from $0.27/KW to $0.09/KW from Mid to 6 am, in NV it drops from $0.11/KW to $0.044/KW from 10 pm to 8 am - in both locations basically paying for transmission costs and close to nothing for the actual electricity. In places in TX, you can charge for free at night. There is still demand and plants have to run so cost is very low.

Currently there is enough capacity and govt study shows that unlikely to have issues going forward. Even if 80% of all vehicles were EVs, the electrical demand would go up about 10% - not a huge increase - and could be covered currently with minor changes as plants are at about 65% of capacity.

Electric vehicles are more energy-efficient than ICE vehicles. In passenger cars, EVs consume 25% the amount of energy in comparison to ICE vehicles and the EVs use less polluting sources of energy.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You are way off on some of your data - time of production for renewable energy is no where close to time of demand and you lose lots of energy to storage solutions needed to match output.

You are proposing removing the thing that will make this possible - Nukes are among the cleanest forms of energy and can operate to meet demand when renewables are not producing enough. Many equate it to the older technologies - most of the plants operating are 50+ year old designs. You dismissed the new designs - you are way off on your data, solar is not the be all to end all - need something to cover when sun is not shining and storage is not the way to do it.
Not advocating Storage. Just Grid-Tied Silicon Solar PV.

The generation that has traditionally needed Storage is Nukes. Biggest Storage on the Grid is because of Nukes. Nukes cannot hit the Daytime Peak, and about half of what they generate is surplus (worthless) at night. So storage was made to move surplus Nuke Electricity into daytime. Did not matter, the Nuke still went under and shutdown. Here is what is left >>>

https://www.consumersenergy.com/comp...ro-electricity

You do not have a clue on this topic, right?

Old 08-27-2021, 03:56 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I guess I don't understand why you think can't charge an EV at night - currently that is the low demand time so there are incentives to charge an EV then. In my case in CA, the price of a KW drops from $0.27/KW to $0.09/KW from Mid to 6 am, in NV it drops from $0.11/KW to $0.044/KW from 10 pm to 8 am - in both locations basically paying for transmission costs and close to nothing for the actual electricity. In places in TX, you can charge for free at night. There is still demand and plants have to run so cost is very low.

Currently there is enough capacity and govt study shows that unlikely to have issues going forward. Even if 80% of all vehicles were EVs, the electrical demand would go up about 10% - not a huge increase - and could be covered currently with minor changes as plants are at about 65% of capacity.

Electric vehicles are more energy-efficient than ICE vehicles. In passenger cars, EVs consume 25% the amount of energy in comparison to ICE vehicles and the EVs use less polluting sources of energy.

All true . . . however it conflicts with the Dinosaurs' Oil Forever nonsense . . . so it must be False?

Old 08-27-2021, 10:41 PM

993 posts, read 545,633 times
More EVs mean more coal fired power plants. I cant wait

Old 08-27-2021, 11:09 PM

19,787 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:

Depends on what you're driving and how this fleshes out. Right now major motorcycle manufacturers are conjuring up a standardized power pack. Pull into a 'station', pay the fee, remove your pack and insert into charging area grab a fully charged pack and go.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...ry-consortium/

I think a lot of people overlook the very true axiom- necessity is the mother of invention.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
More EVs mean more coal fired power plants. I cant wait
They could string power lines across the Pacific I suppose. </sarcasm> Or some other impractical and visionary scheme that someone else pays for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living