Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 02:58 PM

73 posts, read 73,078 times

Advertisements

Feeding the flock of wild birds most mornings.. Giving them fruit discards and old bread and such.. Throwing it to them on the ground under my fruit trees. They poop up a storm and in turn my trees get fertilized.. Thank you BIRDS...

Comments appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,170,467 times
Good idea...Trees have superficial roots that spread thru the topsoil to soak up organic nutrients while their deep roots soak u water & minerals-- but mostly provide stabilization for the tree. That little bit of extra bird dropping cnmake a difference.

Bird droppings are the best sourceof N because almost all N is excreted via the kidneys-- and birds empty both their bowels & kidneys thru the common pathway of the cloaca ...EVen better if you can raise back yard chickens at your place-- a 2 lb hen'll give you a lot more manure than a 2 oz chickadee.

Where are you located and what kind of trees?

Old 08-13-2021, 01:11 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,045,482 times
I'm no expert about anything...but is it a good idea to give bread to wild birds? I know bread isn't good for geese.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,568,157 times
My dad went through an interesting deal with chicken poop. He was part of a co-op garden with 3 other families. The man who owned the land talked to a friend who raised chickens for a chicken processing plant, to see about maybe getting 4 or 5- 5 gallon buckets of the seasoned manure to put around the tomato plants. Nobody was there when the chicken farmer had one of his helpers dump an entire dump truck load of chicken manure, thankfully off to the side of the garden. lol The land owner said he was about to resort to paying people to take some away. lol

Old 08-13-2021, 03:32 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,045,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My dad went through an interesting deal with chicken poop. He was part of a co-op garden with 3 other families. The man who owned the land talked to a friend who raised chickens for a chicken processing plant, to see about maybe getting 4 or 5- 5 gallon buckets of the seasoned manure to put around the tomato plants. Nobody was there when the chicken farmer had one of his helpers dump an entire dump truck load of chicken manure, thankfully off to the side of the garden. lol The land owner said he was about to resort to paying people to take some away. lol

LOL!

I wonder if local nurseries would've wanted some?

Old 08-15-2021, 12:30 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,208,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulvaterry View Post
Feeding the flock of wild birds most mornings.. Giving them fruit discards and old bread and such.. Throwing it to them on the ground under my fruit trees. They poop up a storm and in turn my trees get fertilized.. Thank you BIRDS...

Comments appreciated
The birds drop salmonella in their poop, other diseases- have you heard of avian flu?
The poop dries out- the viruses and bacteria are becoming airborne. May find your family or your pets to infect.

The birds drop fleas and ticks off of them constantly- which carry diseases - look it up how many different diseases.

The remains of the food, seeds attracts vermin like rats, mice, etc.- which are mammals like us - they carry an additional set of diseases which could be dangerous to your family.

Even if you are careful with their poop and cover it regularly- the obvious nuisance are invasive plants seeds and berries - deposited by the birds which are prepared for germination by passing through the birds digestive system, they are very well fertilized!

What are those “nuisance” seeds and berries?

Poisonous ivies, etc- toxic to humans; invasive vines like regular ivy, nightshades, swallow worts, oriental bittersweet, akebias which strangle trees, etc, etc
https://www.newhopeaudubon.org/blog/...for-the-birds/

Not worth it and your best bet to discourage the birds or at the minimum to not attract them to your property.

Actually, it is bad for the birds too- sick birds congregate around your free food- as they can not get their own due to being diseased- they spread the diseases that kill healthy bird populations

Last edited by L00k4ward; 08-15-2021 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2021, 01:25 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,170,467 times
Thank you, Bubble Boy.

BTW- was that Moors or Moops?

Old 08-16-2021, 09:36 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Even if you are careful with their poop and cover it regularly- the obvious nuisance are invasive plants seeds and berries - deposited by the birds which are prepared for germination by passing through the birds digestive system, they are very well fertilized!

What are those “nuisance” seeds and berries?
Birds are responsible for most of the dang weeds in my yard. I don't encourage them

Old 08-22-2021, 12:19 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,180,693 times
There's been a bad salmonella outbreak among birds in parts of the US this year. Pine siskins are particularly susceptible. Not sure I want salmonella-infused fertilizer.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:29 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
And by training wild birds to come to your fruit trees to get fed, you guarantee that they will strip your fruit trees before the fruit even gets all the way ripe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living