Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 06:21 AM

1,133 posts, read 610,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
For people who think plastic is not a problem, they are now detecting microplaslic inside the human body. Even inside the placenta of unborn babies. We need to eliminate plastic packaging asap.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...-body-come.htm
The microplastics problem will exist forever. The amount of plastics in our oceans, lakes, etc degrading into micro bits will keep become the normal. All the plankton, zooplankton, little animals, fishes, seals... basically everything will ingest the plastics. We will ingest the animals, drink the water.

All these ailments that we have... cancers, aches and pains, diseases are made worse by a lifetime of ingesting our nasty plastics.

We better start figuring out a solution NOW and stop being such an entitled species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 07:46 PM

164 posts, read 84,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The microplastics problem will exist forever. The amount of plastics in our oceans, lakes, etc degrading into micro bits will keep become the normal. All the plankton, zooplankton, little animals, fishes, seals... basically everything will ingest the plastics. We will ingest the animals, drink the water.

All these ailments that we have... cancers, aches and pains, diseases are made worse by a lifetime of ingesting our nasty plastics.

We better start figuring out a solution NOW and stop being such an entitled species.

Amen!

Old 08-04-2022, 11:46 PM

15,418 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m 53 years old. I remember a time when fast food restaurants did not have any styrofoam containers at all. Drink cups were waxed paper cups, burgers were wrapped in wax paper. Cereal was contained in either a wax paper bag or a foil bag. Coffee stir sticks were small wooden sticks. Know those multi packs of single serve cereals? At one time they were small cardboard boxes with an easy to open was paper bag but today they’re plastic bags. Why can’t they return back to those packaging and containers?
You have a good memory. McDonald's started using styrofoam containers when you were about six years old. They used styrofoam containers for everything from 1975 to 1990. I don't think Burger King ever used styrofoam. They have switched back and forth between wax paper and cardboard. It all depends on the preferences of the company.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:10 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
For people who think plastic is not a problem, they are now detecting microplaslic inside the human body. Even inside the placenta of unborn babies. We need to eliminate plastic packaging asap.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...-body-come.htm
OK, so they found evidence of micro-plastic in human bodies....If you scan the bio lit, you'll find many doz, if not hundreds, of research papers showing micro-plastic in just about every species imagineable-- yet NONE of them show that the prresence of micro-plastic causes any pathology.

You have an observation. Now the question becomes "So what?" ...We're all living longer, healthier lives, so if the plastic does cause some problems, it's not enough to notice, and other things we're dong overcome the effect....Don't panic unti there's a need to panic.

Risk vs benefit...For plastic, there is a great deal of socio-economic & engineering beneft and very little, if any, down-side.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:52 PM

880 posts, read 564,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know where you eat that uses styrofoam, but we just had burgers at the Habit Burger near us and the burgers were wrapped in paper, fries in paper containers, drinks in paper cups. Perhaps it's a regional thing, and some jurisdictions have banned styrofom.

I think it probably has to do with where you live... Seattle it looks like?

As much as I largely disagree with the politics there, I totally agree with them from that standpoint. I hate plastic packaging, Styrofoam packaging, and anything that's simply not biodegradable.

I am not so picky that I'll loose my s**t if my food gets a little cold or whatever. I'd much rather save the environment than worry about 5 degree variance in my fast food sandwich.

To the OP's point... I really do try to avoid places that give me a lot of throw-away plastic. I try to recycle as much as I can... but a lot of these things can't even be recycled. Very frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living