Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 05:50 PM

17,615 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

I’m 53 years old. I remember a time when fast food restaurants did not have any styrofoam containers at all. Drink cups were waxed paper cups, burgers were wrapped in wax paper. Cereal was contained in either a wax paper bag or a foil bag. Coffee stir sticks were small wooden sticks. Know those multi packs of single serve cereals? At one time they were small cardboard boxes with an easy to open was paper bag but today they’re plastic bags. Why can’t they return back to those packaging and containers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 06:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
it probably retain heat better than paper ,also it is more durable than a paper box.
also it does not get wet if there is liquid in the box,but it is not biodegradable

Old 05-31-2022, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,564 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I don't know where you eat that uses styrofoam, but we just had burgers at the Habit Burger near us and the burgers were wrapped in paper, fries in paper containers, drinks in paper cups. Perhaps it's a regional thing, and some jurisdictions have banned styrofom.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:14 AM

17,615 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know where you eat that uses styrofoam, but we just had burgers at the Habit Burger near us and the burgers were wrapped in paper, fries in paper containers, drinks in paper cups. Perhaps it's a regional thing, and some jurisdictions have banned styrofom.
McDonald’s burgers switched back to paper or cardboard. They got ridiculous with their McDLT (look it up). Their breakfast meals still come on styrofoam. Many places still use styrofoam for drink cups though some have been switching back to paper. Many locally owned places that offer take out plate lunches are still styrofoam containers, like restaurant to go containers.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:26 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
I too remember those old days, where the grease from fries would leak through the container, and then through the main bag. And paper-wrapped burgers arrived home luke-warm.

I don't drink coffee but I assume it's sold in Styrofoam to prevent scalding when provided super-hot enough that it's still hot after carrying it back home/work.
I wish they'd NOT changed from Styrofoam back to wax paper cups as my sodas & ice now arrive home cold, but watered down and sweating.

Paper costs a lot less then other materials, but probably has a negative effect on sales, so - like most things - this choice is driven by the marketplace.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:02 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m 53 years old. I remember a time when fast food restaurants did not have any styrofoam containers at all. Drink cups were waxed paper cups, burgers were wrapped in wax paper. Cereal was contained in either a wax paper bag or a foil bag. Coffee stir sticks were small wooden sticks. Know those multi packs of single serve cereals? At one time they were small cardboard boxes with an easy to open was paper bag but today they’re plastic bags. Why can’t they return back to those packaging and containers?
Styrofoam is still overused. Customers could write the manager to make suggestions of alternatives, and see if it helps (it might, if enough people did that). Otherwise, you could aim for a city ban on styrofoam.

The wood stir sticks, like chopsticks, are made from forests. For that matter, all those reams of Xerox paper the we take for granted when we photocopy entire books, or chapters from books, and thick documents, come from forests. So, while plastic stirrers aren't biodegradable, they don't result in forests being consumed for their manufacture. So...what to do? Recycle the stir sticks? Some coffee shops do that. They have recycle bins for the recyclable trash.

I remember when grocery stores didn't have plastic bags in the produce sections; only paper bags. That may seem better, right? Still, all paper products come from forests.

So, save your plastic produce bags, and reuse them; wash after use if necessary, and take them with you for grocery shopping, use them for your sandwiches if you take your lunch to work (if you don't WFH), and so on.

Tough choices. There are too many people on the planet.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
can always bring your own thermo flask and lunch box

Old 05-31-2022, 01:23 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Yeah, all we can do is re-use.

I have the same ziplock bags from 2016. Wash and reuse. Even paper towels, if it was just water or something non-offensive, we dry them and reuse. Every plastic bag, whether produce or other, is reused.

Baking paper, aluminum foil, rubber bands, twist-ties---we reuse it all. And down here, it's practical too. Next time the store may not have it....

When we wash veg's, we save the water for the plants.

What bugs me is plastic containers designed to not be able to get the last 1/3 out. Like sunscreen, lotions, moisturizers. I cut them in half and get weeks more product out. Unless the plastic needs a reciprocating saw to cut in half.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:30 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
Single use plastic bags finally banned here in NSW today.
Though not sure how we will get on if garbage bin liners are banned. When I was a child people would wrap the daily rubbish in sheets of newspaper before placing the bundles in the bin. Now people have so few newspapers another way will need to be found.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:18 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
That's what you see everywhere in Europe. So, it could be done, and doesn't mean it couldn't be durable or insulating.
We here in the US are just a bit slow with adapting eco friendly products and recycling.

Wrapping small items in big plastic boxes, in the stores, prevents theft.

I wish plastic shopping bags would be eliminated. I am sick and tired of seeing them hanging on the trees, bushes and fences, accumulating on banks of the rivers, flying on the streets.
Never saw a paper bag hanging on the tree. They just don't fly that easily.
Most paper bags are made of recycled products.

We here, overseas, use bags made of corn, that are biodegradable.

I saw some on Amazon too
https://www.amazon.com/Neat-Kitchen-.../dp/B07QR6LPYM

Last edited by elnina; 06-03-2022 at 05:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living