Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:47 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times

Advertisements

Considering some stupid plastic playground junk at walmart contains enough plastic to supply someone with a life time of plastic bags, I think there are more important issues to tackle.

China is one of the worst polluters in the world, the worst actually.

We do not do it in America because the bottom line still counts in all transactions. I sort of like it in Sweden where they have bags available, but cost extra, so people bring their own reusable ones.

I use mine for garbage bags.

As far as intrusion of the gov, I agree, but it is always a fine line when it comes to government, the environment and people'e rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Thats strainge cause the bags we use are Made in China...

they figure if they give us enough rope we'll probably hang ourselves

Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I don't like worrying about oil when the lungs of the planet will suffer. What is the alternative bag? Paper... With so much deforestation we should focus on biodegradable plastic bags and make hydrogen a reality for cars to offset the petroleum crisis.
no, the alternative is to take you own canvas bags to the store. in fact i personally used to hate packing bags at the checkout. now i take 2-3 crates. i load everthing into the crates so much simpler to pack/unpack/lug around at store/home. i figure at 20 bags per week =1000 bags per year saving on the plastic and the energy required to make and transport them. if they come from china, well then it's a few less bucks leaving the country then

Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
that is great news. america hasn't done this because they are not into the environment. money still rules, but you knew that.

they may ban plastic bags, but you know..... all of the coal power plants they open every year is not that "into the enviroment" either.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
they may ban plastic bags, but you know..... all of the coal power plants they open every year is not that "into the enviroment" either.
coal power plants to supply our insatiable demand for their products.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
The Chinese Government announced that they will ban all Plastic Bags used in the country. The Chinese use 3 billion plastic bags a day and banning them will save about 37 million barrels of oil to produce them. Good to hear something positive out of there.

Here's the Scientific American Magazine article for those interested.
China Sacks Plastic Bags: Scientific American
We may think that it is a trivial thing to do, but if you consider China's size and population, it makes sense.

I'm glad to hear that they're doing something. Maybe they won't take the ever increasing oil prices lying down like we do. With their numbers and political system, they might just make a dent.

Now, if only we could do a bunch of little things like that....wishful thinking perhaps?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Now, if only we could do a bunch of little things like that....wishful thinking perhaps?
Many places in California already do...

Old 06-11-2008, 07:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I don't see how banning plastic bags will help them... what are they going to use? Paper bags? Cut down more trees? Someone suggested using canvas bags... those don't hold nearly enough unless you plan on buying like 4-5 of them... not a bad idea but its odd carrying that many bags into a grocery store and then after unloading your groceries at home to bring them back to the car... not very efficient..

Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't see how banning plastic bags will help them... what are they going to use? Paper bags? Cut down more trees? Someone suggested using canvas bags... those don't hold nearly enough unless you plan on buying like 4-5 of them... not a bad idea but its odd carrying that many bags into a grocery store and then after unloading your groceries at home to bring them back to the car... not very efficient..
When I was stationed in Korea, I had no car. I had to walk 2 miles to go to work in really high humidity. I carried a backpack with a complete change of t-shirt, underwear, etc to change once I got to work.

The bars downtown didn't have toilet paper, so I also had a roll in there too. The weather could change abruptly, so I also carried rain gear. You never knew when the BX or the commissary would have items you needed, so I would shop and put my purchases in the backpack too. It was easier than carrying bags. You name it, I had it in my backpack.

It became such a habit, that after I returned to the states, I always used the backpack. Never carried a handbag until I became a civilian some four years later.

It might be inconvenient as opposed to inefficient, but hey, it builds character!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post

are you kidding? it's not rocket science. personally i use crates at the store when i do a big shop. i take 2 of them and put them in the cart. i can load them 5 times faster than plastic bags at the checkout. they're easier to carry and unpack too. they also don't break and leave your groceries all over the floor. people always comment how convenient they are and how quick i get through the checkout. i also have a few spare ikea canvas bags in the car as my wife cannot carry the crates if they're full, so she spreads the load. i carry a backpack to work so if i get off the train and need to get something it's pretty easy.
plastic bags cost money and the consumer ultimately pays. they also take a squillion years to decompose and i hate seeing them littered around.
the effort is so miniscule and the effect is incredible. 20 bags per week saving is around 1000 bags per year saved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living