Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 PM

161 posts, read 384,328 times

Advertisements

Speaking of plastic bags, I live in Florida and I recently moved here from VT. Most people in VT are fairly environmentally conscience and usually carry around bags while they shop or opt for paper bags. Here is Florida, that is NOT the case. I shop regularly at Winn Dixie or Publix and I frequently have to complain about them putting one item into a single plastic bag. The other day I had a cashier put six bags for my two bottles of wine!!! 6 BAGS!!!! I have repeatedly talked to management and always ask them to stuff everything to as few as bags as possible and they never listen. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!! They don't recycle paper where I am but they do recycle the plastic bags but it's not like I'm replacing much with recycling one bag, it'd be much better. Does anyone else have problems getting through to these people!? AHHH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
Speaking of plastic bags, I live in Florida and I recently moved here from VT. Most people in VT are fairly environmentally conscience and usually carry around bags while they shop or opt for paper bags. Here is Florida, that is NOT the case. I shop regularly at Winn Dixie or Publix and I frequently have to complain about them putting one item into a single plastic bag. The other day I had a cashier put six bags for my two bottles of wine!!! 6 BAGS!!!! I have repeatedly talked to management and always ask them to stuff everything to as few as bags as possible and they never listen. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!! They don't recycle paper where I am but they do recycle the plastic bags but it's not like I'm replacing much with recycling one bag, it'd be much better. Does anyone else have problems getting through to these people!? AHHH
this is the same in Utah.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
And to think, only about 20 some years ago there weren't plastic grocery bags.

Oh well, I usually shop mostly at Costco, etc... so there are no bags, just reusing of boxes.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM

77 posts, read 246,310 times
Default I like my reusables...

When "the news hit" that China was getting rid of plastic bags, very shortly after, many of the local groceries (even Walmart) came out with their own reusable, recycled bags (with advertising of course). It turns out, I've bought about 6 bags, from a variety of markets - and LOVE them.
I don't mind bringing them in the store (I used to forget the first few times after I bought them) -but they are soooo much stronger than the cheap plastic bags. Also, with the longer handle length, I can sling 2 or 3 bags over my shoulders and walk out of the store without the hassle of trying to find a coral for the grocery cart.
I think the best ones for packing the most groceries are the ones that have a rigid piece of plastic or paper in the bottom to keep it flat/level.
Some of the grocery employees look at you funny when you bring your own bag (especially if it has the name of a another store on it) - and there are a few young people I've encountered that don't understand it when I say I have my own bags... If I shop near home or near the local university, I see others doing the same, bringing in their bags...

Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I don't care, I melt down those bags to use to make plant containers. Also once I move I intend to grow all my own veggies. Less trips to the store, less bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living