Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 09:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Off topic, but I actually read that book. Set in the context of when it was written, 1972, it was at the time a constructive book. It was trying to get leftists to engage in dialog, not destruction.
Perhaps if the Jan 6 crew could read,that would be something for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 10:31 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Perhaps if the Jan 6 crew could read,that would be something for them.
No question. Alinsky would be rolling his eyes in his grave about January 6. His point was that one uses violence only in societies that are not responsive to peaceful measures (including choreographed passing of wind at the Rochester Symphony Orchestra), such as Russia or Nazi Germany.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:52 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Kind of ironic since the plastic shopping bag came about because environmentalist wanted to save the trees and ban paper bags. We use to reuse paper bags as school book covers. They can be neatly folded to put in paper recycled or we would use them to help start a charcoal BBQ by filling the bag with the charcoal and lighting the bag to get it started. With a campsite fire or home fire pit they could be used as a fire starter.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:49 AM

6,778 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I think intentions are good, but I don’t think any of these changes (EVs, plastic bag bans, banning gas stoves in new construction, etc) will make a lick of difference in the long run, other than to be annoying to everyone.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:50 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I think intentions are good, but I don’t think any of these changes (EVs, plastic bag bans, banning gas stoves in new construction, etc) will make a lick of difference in the long run, other than to be annoying to everyone.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Cowboy wins the prize!

We should prepare large-scale geoengineering projects in order to mitigate the negative effects of climate change. That would be much more efficient and effective than "conservation".

The good news is that we will--when we are forced to. Kinda the way procrastinating humans always do. In the mean time, just let the market decide.

It's pretty ridiculous when--on one hand--the president pushes for decarbonization, but then--on the other--releases oil from the SPR to keep people from being forced to change their carbon-emitting habits.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:07 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding! Cowboy wins the prize!

We should prepare large-scale geoengineering projects in order to mitigate the negative effects of climate change. That would be much more efficient and effective than "conservation".

...except that millennia of experience tells us that's it's better to build a boat to deal with a rising tide than a wall to stop the tide.

Mother Nature figured this out long ago. It's call natural adaptation and evolution.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:36 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
EV Movement, Plastic Bag Bans, etc. - Is Motive Really Environment or Control?

The "motive" is desperation because there really is a variety of serious problems happening with the environment that humans are causing / exacerbating and that too many unintelligent people aren't recognizing or don't care about.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:39 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
The motive is 100% control.

There is ZERO evidence to date that has been presented to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that there is a climate "emergency". Climate Change maybe real but a climate "emergency" is manufactured. Especially when the people claiming that Denver will see oceanfront property live in low-lying coastal areas that will be the first to be underwater and emit more carbon in one trip (ironically to a climate conference) than most of us do in a decade. Just imagine the amount of av gas that wouldn't have been burned if all the goons attending these climate conferences flew commercial or traveled on a sailboat instead.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:11 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I live in an area where there are 'plastic bag bans' all over...I think it's a control/budget issue over anything. Because I've also seen stores that offer alternatives to just plastic...there's paper,recyclables...
A post on my Nextdoor account today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextdoor post
[COLOR=var(--fg-primary)]You are not alone in your efforts, but together the two of us will not save the world. Until we disarm the myth of disposability and fundamentally change consumer culture, I am sorry to say this is all just pissing in the wind. Can you live without plastic? Would you live without plastic? Are your voting practices in line with that idea? Start there. Maybe will run into each other out on some street corner evangelizing.[/color]
These people speak their agenda. it speaks for itself. It's control and to reduce living standards.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When it comes to the effects on the earth, nothing done by one city, one state, or even one country makes much difference. This is a global issue, and if in fact the earth is being killed off by it's residents (not all are convinced) then every country would have to make the appropriate changes to slow or stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living