Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 12:00 PM

107 posts, read 51,181 times

Advertisements

Drive through any industrial park and you see multiple places offering "Free pallets", they are stacked up high and you can take as many as you like! A lot of people take them up on it, to break the pallets down and use them as firewood. Most of the free pallets don't appear to be damaged in any way.
I'm very surprised that there is no re-sale market for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 12:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Actually, there kinda is.

People pick them up and build stuff out of them, and then sell what they've built. Fences, compost bins, chicken coops, display shelves, potting benches, portable decks, patio furniture, flooring, siding... It's a bit labor intensive, because there are typically a lot of nails to be pulled. Here's some examples - https://www.easypalletideas.com/thin...-with-pallets/

Only thing to be wary of is that some of them have been drenched in various insecticides and rodenticides.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-16-2022 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-16-2022, 01:48 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, there kinda is.

People pick them up and build stuff out of them, and then sell what they've built. Fences, compost bins, chicken coops, display shelves, potting benches, portable decks, patio furniture, flooring, siding... It's a bit labor intensive, because there are typically a lot of nails to be pulled. Here's some examples - https://www.easypalletideas.com/thin...-with-pallets/

Only thing to be wary of is that some of them have been drenched in various insecticides and rodenticides.
That is a very big thing for how do you know?

A, B, and C. A: For what we don't see, we have a habit of assuming it is okay for other use. I remember years ago when they were offering to make old 35 mm film containers into salt and pepper shakers. The problem was that people didn't appreciate the chemicals that went into making film and how that could leach into the container and contaminate the seasonings. After all, those film containers weren't designed to be food safe. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/S80AA...YI/s-l1600.jpg

B: Same thing with pallets. What are they designed to do, what are they built for, what kind of stuff do they support.......and now you want to get semi personal with it?

C: On a related note, in my wild country of black widows and scorpions, I store my firewood outside but the previous named fiends do make me cautious about handling it. What to do, have The Man From ABC pest control spray my wood pile? Well, if he did, that would just be great, now I would be bring that pesticide inside my house, turning it into a gas, and potentially poisoning every living thing in the house when I make a nice cozy fire for the winter.....to say nothing if I use it in an outdoor grill.

Ours is a very dangerous world when one treats it without a care, without thinking.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:37 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Emerald Ash Borer pestilence is a serious problem and it probalby was carried here from Asia on pallet wood. Other pests could potentially be carried this way also. https://ohiostate.pressbooks.pub/sci...united-states/

Theoretically, chemicals from pallets are toxic. In practice, unless you're going to eat large quatitites of the wood over many years, I would't worry about it.

They are offered free because the cost of stoarge & shipment for re-use are greater than their cost to produce new. Wood, after all, is naturally re-cyclable, so no real waste if you just dump them and let MotherNature deal with it. Even granite is naturally re-cyclable if you're patient enough.

Old 12-17-2022, 01:40 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
I think pallets are good for at least a year? single-use seems silly/wasteful.

In the old days, you could pick up some free pallets and go down to the beach/lake front and have a bonfire. Good clean fun, drinking cans of warm beer and dancing by the firelight, under a full moon.

Nowdays, there's signs at the beach: NO PALLETS. All them nails add up (cause they dont burn) and some even fall out in the parking lot and sand when you drag the pallet. Barefoot children will be there the next morning.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:34 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Pallets degrade slowly. They're usually made of oak- naturally, relatively resistant to decay. I've had a pile of them sitting out in the weather for most of the last decade and they'd still be perfectly suitable for shipping jobs.....

I periodically cannibalize them for small building projects. Stripping them is a PITA and can take 20-30 minutes each. They each have 100-200 nails. Breaking the slats is common in the process because it takes so much pressure on the crow bar to get the nails out.

As I said, the cost of saving, storing and sending back old ones for re-use exceeds the cost of building a new one.

In regards warm beer-- Mechanics who worked on MGs & Triumphs in the 50s & 60s know the answer to the question "Why do Brits drink warm beer?"...It's because they all have Lucas refrigerators.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:20 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I think pallets are good for at least a year? single-use seems silly/wasteful.

In the old days, you could pick up some free pallets and go down to the beach/lake front and have a bonfire. Good clean fun, drinking cans of warm beer and dancing by the firelight, under a full moon.

Nowdays, there's signs at the beach: NO PALLETS. All them nails add up (cause they dont burn) and some even fall out in the parking lot and sand when you drag the pallet. Barefoot children will be there the next morning.
One must appreciate, VERY MUCH, that we are not in the old days!

I am told by the fire marshal that no firefighter today would go into any fire without an airpak. Why? Because our modern ways of manufacturing often involves substances that release poisonous gas when it burns, like cyanide. Further, fires these days burn hotter, again probably because of how we make things.

And now people want to take something that was built to move these things and use them for fire wood and personal use?

WHAT A FOOL'S FOLLY!

Old 12-17-2022, 06:56 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
truck driver here....
Many pallets are one way, too much hassle too bring pallets with you.
But you have CHEP pallets, the blue pallets. The customer pay (20 years ago) 25 bucks plus a fee. You turn them in and get the 25 bucks back. CHEP is world wide.
https://www.chep.com/us/en/services-solutions

Many pallets in the valley in CA for example would be repair for the farmers too ship there products on. Those pallets you see outside warehouses.
In Europe you have the EURO pallets. those and the CHEP pallets you can hardly lift, there are heavy. Another reason they make the cheap pallets. They weigh 5 pounds.
https://www.epal-pallets.org/eu-en/l...al-euro-pallet

Old 12-17-2022, 09:22 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffking View Post
Drive through any industrial park and you see multiple places offering "Free pallets", they are stacked up high and you can take as many as you like! A lot of people take them up on it, to break the pallets down and use them as firewood. Most of the free pallets don't appear to be damaged in any way.
I'm very surprised that there is no re-sale market for them.
Working at various plants, they don't have any "Single use" pallets. In fact, it's "Use them till they shatter" and there's some shipping requirements that can make pallet grabbers money.

Any company shipping overseas MUST use treated pallets. Only a certain type can be used. There's still a big market for used pallets. We have 6-12 scrappers who run their routes picking up pallets. Heck of a sight with one old Datsun pickup with 30-40 pallets on back.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:33 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Working at various plants, they don't have any "Single use" pallets. In fact, it's "Use them till they shatter" and there's some shipping requirements that can make pallet grabbers money.

Any company shipping overseas MUST use treated pallets. Only a certain type can be used. There's still a big market for used pallets. We have 6-12 scrappers who run their routes picking up pallets. Heck of a sight with one old Datsun pickup with 30-40 pallets on back.
Yeah, i can't seem to find any pallets around my area just sitting free for the taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living