Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM

143 posts, read 466,244 times

Advertisements

Well, I have this on Wikipedia under Glass productions:

Coatings

Glass containers typically receive two surface coatings, one at the hot end, just before annealing and one at the cold end just after annealing. At the hot end a very thin layer of tin oxide is applied either using a safe organic compound or inorganic stannic chloride. Tin based systems are not the only ones used, although the most popular. Titanium tetrachloride or organo titanates can also be used. In all cases the coating renders the surface of the glass more adhesive to the cold end coating. At the cold end a layer of typically, polyethylene wax, is applied via a water based emulsion. This makes the glass slippery, protecting it from scratching and stopping containers from sticking together when they are moved on a conveyor. The resultant invisible combined coating gives a virually unscratchable surface to the glass. Due to reduction of in-service surface damage the coatings often are described as strengtheners, however a more correct definition might be strength retaining coatings.

Darn, if this doesn't just chap my hide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only danger from glass jars is they shatter when dropped.
which is what I do CONSTANTLY....

so they're not safe for me.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ45 View Post
Well, I have this on Wikipedia under Glass productions:

Coatings

Glass containers typically receive two surface coatings, one at the hot end, just before annealing and one at the cold end just after annealing. At the hot end a very thin layer of tin oxide is applied either using a safe organic compound or inorganic stannic chloride. Tin based systems are not the only ones used, although the most popular. Titanium tetrachloride or organo titanates can also be used. In all cases the coating renders the surface of the glass more adhesive to the cold end coating. At the cold end a layer of typically, polyethylene wax, is applied via a water based emulsion. This makes the glass slippery, protecting it from scratching and stopping containers from sticking together when they are moved on a conveyor. The resultant invisible combined coating gives a virually unscratchable surface to the glass. Due to reduction of in-service surface damage the coatings often are described as strengtheners, however a more correct definition might be strength retaining coatings.

Darn, if this doesn't just chap my hide!
It figures. I wonder whether these coatings come off into food and under what conditions. Also whether they are toxic.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM

143 posts, read 466,244 times
Yeah, I am wondering the same thing. I've done some googling, but I'm not coming up with definitive answers. I'd like to find out if there is a glass manufacturer that doesn't use this process.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,170 times
Been reading Dr. Hulda Clark's books on prevention and cure for ALL cancers. What is disturbing after investing in glass this past summer to get away from food stored in plastic is that she states "Glassware, canning jars, ceramic and enamelware all seep". The only safe plastic that does not seep is HDPE. She says "...very toxic metal now seeps from the plastic, enamel, ceramic, Teflon and glass kitchenware. Only the newer stainless steel does not seep". ugh...when does it end?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I basically use glass jars for everything. I have even baked in pyrex all my adult life. When I lived in the country I learned that glass kept mice and other bugs from entering the jars, so I even had my cereals in them. I also learned that the twist on lids are not as good as the screw on lids for keeping weevils out of flour and flour products. Of course you have to get those type of jars at antique stores now, and they do cost. But you can still find the smaller ones in grocery stores. Just that I have those large mayonnaise jars that they used to use in restaurants.

glass jars are still made the same, so i wouldn't worry about them. I did a search on this when I was worried that my dishes may contain lead.
Check out the Container Store, if there is one in your area. They have a great selection of glass storage containers for all kinds of uses. I just picked up some large containers for my flour, sugar and pasta.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Glass is fairly decent, but no material is perfect. While it is basically inert, gases and some liquids can permeate it. Hydrogen has a molecule that is so small that almost nothing can contain it. As for chemicals, ever try to clean a pickle jar that has held pickles for a few years?

The bottom line is to not sweat this type of stuff. If you do the research, you'll find most of it is alarmist propaganda, promoted to affect whose pocket gets consumer money. On most of it, if you are a healthy person, say a hiker, your chances of being struck by lightning on a mountain are hundreds of time more likely to happen than being affected from such minor influences.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
I generally keep a cleanable glass jar...applesauce,fruit etc that will hold some things which are placed in the fridge. Shredded coconut, raisons, choc bits or anything sweet in the fridge. I hate those little buggers getting inside my food. Cereal from the box into a screw on container...same with flour and sugar. I save my instant Yuban coffee jars with the screw on lid after opening a 5 lb bag of sugar.

Pasta still in it's wrapper in the bottom drawer of the fridge. Where I live in Baja there are some weird looking bugs that even climbed inside my sugar glass bowl with the little flapper. Had to put it aside and within three days it had climbed back out the flapper minus a couple of legs left behind.

I even keep my imported red paprika in the fridge. Hate to toss the stuff as it's expensive. Some imported red paprika in the past have had some very small insects inside...you never know.

Basically I think glass jars are safe to store some things...used up over a short time...just not forever.

Steve

Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The bottom line is to not sweat this type of stuff. If you do the research, you'll find most of it is alarmist propaganda, promoted to affect whose pocket gets consumer money. On most of it, if you are a healthy person, say a hiker, your chances of being struck by lightning on a mountain are hundreds of time more likely to happen than being affected from such minor influences.
This is a very good point.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Ay, ay, ay......what's a person to do? Go back to storing everything in animal bladders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living