Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexc View Post
As a supplier of Glass Jar I would not recommend reusing jar lids. This is as each jar has like a finger print on the top and when a lid is attached for the first time it creates a copy of this print. As a result the next time you use the lid it will not seal in the same way.
If you're using the jar and its lid for storage of nonperishable goods, or storing perishable foods in the fridge, the jar doesn't need to seal in the same way. It just needs to close tightly. The sealing is to avoid the growth of spores and bacteria, which isn't an issue when storing nonperishable food, or short-term storage in the fridge.

A lot of pint-ish sized commercial glass jars -- mayo in particular (do they still sell mayo in glass jars??) and pickles -- may fit a standard canning jar storage lid, which you can get at the grocery store in the canning aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,056 times
~Ohiogirl~ - have you been able to get out any odd odors from those kinds of lids, say like pickle jar lids? Come to think of it, I haven't seen mayo in jars for years now, don't know if this is just true of my area or everywhere!

I just really liked the shape of my large pickle jars, for example, and haven't been able to find a lid that fits them other than the original lid. I could store rice in those jars or bean soup pre-mixes (no liquids, just dry ingredients), but I think the pickle smell would just permeate the contents in time. I'd also like to re-use these condiment type jars to store dried lavendar, salts, spices, etc. I have found some new lids to fit some of these jars (specialty mustard had same lid as some of my spice jars, that I get from a jar supplier in Seattle), but many are non-standard sizes so I have no way to replace them.

stexc - If I am not using the lid to seal as one would with a canning process (using reusable Kerr/Ball canning jars), shouldn't the lid be safe to reuse in that situation?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,924 times
I reuse pickle jars all the time. When you store them, leave the lids off. The vinegar smell does eventually leave but it doesn't really hurt anything either.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treebw View Post
I actually just read an article stating that we should never use tomato product from a can because the acid content can leech chemicals from the metal. Then person then went on to state that we should always get tomato product that has been stored in glass since it does not leech chemicals.

So my guess is that this person actually did a study (hopefully) and new what they were writing about. If I can find the article I will provide more info...

It's not the can itself that presents a problem, it's the cancer causing chemical plastic lining they coat them with these days. I forget the letter abriviation of this particular chemical but it's the same thing safety experts have been screaming about in baby bottles and such. This chemical is readily absorbed by acidic foods, tomatoes are the worst right up there with vinegar. Tomatoes in cans are on the top of the list of things I will NOT buy and I'm furious I can't find vinegar in glass anymore. This is getting rediculous!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I've not had an issue with odors from jar lids. I guess you could scrub them with baking soda and vinegar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I'm furious I can't find vinegar in glass anymore.
You can ... but in the smaller bottles. Heinz still sells vinegar in 32-oz. glass bottles. I buy it in glass bottles for food uses, and in the big ol' gallon jugs for cleaning, etc.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
I like to reuse glass containers when possible. Have found that in some cases the soft cushion inside the metal cap will turn black and has to be cleaned. I have cleaned them and would cover the glass container with a small piece of wax paper and then the cap/lid which does stay clean and reusable.

Today bought three 1 qt wide mouth glass containers with a metal screw on lid for $1 each. Will wash in dish soap and use when needed for storage of cooked meal or for freezer storage. I am by myself and generally cook for three people at one time...meaning I have the same meal three nights in a row.

Just last month started to freeze my extra meals and dang...it's nice to have a nice meal just by doing a little micro heating instead of cooking fresh.

Steve

Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,056 times
Thanks all, about the lids. I was hoping there was a miracle method that everyone knew about, except me Maybe my nose is just being too sensitive about this.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
I use glass ball jars for just about everything save for leftovers due for quick turn around times. Whatever leeching people are talking about regarding glass seems to me must be negligible relative to other choices. Old pasta jars whose lids never come clean I save under the sink to store spare paint and/ or rid myself of kitchen grease before it gets to sink pipes, avoiding plumbers and drano. Also keeps me + trash man on good speaking terms for being considerate.

The ball jars in quart & half gallon size are in my cupboards because it keeps everything sanitary & inhospitable to critters. That investment has more than paid for itself. Cardboard boxes, cereal, and flour seem to attract grain moths and after one bout with them decades ago I've never looked back. Do the math about the dollar value of your pantry and you'll see my meaning. Teas, spices, herbs... all stay fresher. Seasonal/ regional humidity being an issue also becomes a non issue.

Whatever chemical chain reaction is brought on by microwaves was solved by ridding myself of microwaves. Convection oven or stovetop works just as well as it ever has without robbing me of another layer of nutrients. I distrust radiated food and feel more studies are needed to know how much nutrition is sacrificed in each method of cooking. I do not use teflon coated anything after the early stories of pet birds being killed by teflon fumes in a heated oven. Stainless steel heavy guage, copper in some instances, aluminum in very limited use (never with tomato bases). Hope that helps.

Addendum I also use vac n seal plastic for portion control & extended shelf life storage in freezer. Someone might have a problem with whatever plastic that's made from but I'm unaware of adverse affects.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Have you been able to get out any odd odors from those kinds of lids, say like pickle jar lids?
Make a thick paste of baking soda and water, fill the cap, and set it aside. Leave it for a couple of days, and then rinse. Voila! The smell is eliminated.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only danger from glass jars is they shatter when dropped.
Or when they fall out of the cupboard because of an earthquake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living