Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2023, 04:16 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...vists-1914e7da

The harder activist push, the less likely companies will develop innovative technologies to reduce fuel and electricity consumption. Their hardline confrontational protest have also turned the general public against them, even those who support their cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 07:41 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
I consider myself to be somewhat of an environmentalist, but strictly in a non-political way.
There’s plenty of room for skepticism and debate, but that gets shoved aside when zealots take over.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:30 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I consider myself to be somewhat of an environmentalist, but strictly in a non-political way.
There’s plenty of room for skepticism and debate, but that gets shoved aside when zealots take over.
Part of the problem is the “all of nothing” mentality of some people. Can’t support an oil and gas company even if they’re conducting research and development into alternative energy sources and energy saving technology. Or can’t support wind and solar because it’s a green thing. I’m not an environmentalist but I do what I can to save money on gas and electricity. We use our available curbside recycle, we use water filters for drinking water instead of plastic bottles, and we limit our travel. I bought my 2015 Hyundai Elantra when new because it was among the most fuel efficient vehicles I could afford. I just recently passed 60,000 miles. During a recent heat wave of well over 100 degree days and over 80 degree mornings our 1300 square feet home had $169 electric bill. There must be a balance and a give and take of ideas for solutions.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:06 PM

1,212 posts, read 731,649 times
There is no environmental innovation but there are logistical opportunities.

But there are investors that insist on the development of future technologies instead of the use of currently available logistical opportunities.

For instance, direct-carbon-capture, which is being funded, doesn't really compare very well simply to the direct use of green-electricity or to the production of hydrogen. However, the carbon-storage aspect of direct-carbon-capture could be used in the production of blue-hydrogen. But blue-hydrogen is not being funded as only green-hydrogen is being funded.

Now Europe is being advised to produce blue-hydrogen, which requires carbon-storage, instead of a pretense that they have sufficient green-electricity for all uses.

The U.S. is developing salt-cavern storage of hydrogen but only one project actually as off-take agreements. Demand is not legislated.

There are other logistical opportunities. Ethanol produced from lightly-fertilized sorghum by cellulose processes is carbon-neutral and can be used to make jet fuel.

Ocean shipping is converting to the use of green-methanol. Green-methanol can be produced by combining green-hydrogen, or even blue-hydrogen, with carbon-dioxide that is captured from industrial processes.

The use of coal represents 40% of global carbon emissions. So replace coal with liquefied-natural-gas and possibly realize a 20% reduction in global emissions.

Long-haul trucking will never work on batteries because the massive wind-resistance will reduce driving range. But long-haul trucking can run on compressed hydrogen, in hydrogen fuel-cells, and have good range along the the torque of electric motors. Long-haul trucking can use hydrogen fueling stations placed along trucking routes.

Modular nuclear reactors are planned for the year 2030. That's finished construction planned for the year 2030
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living