Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

I think the Canning process kills all bacteria as i've read the canned Tomato Paste is the best for Bioavailability in the body. Anyway sounds like a monster movie as you have Salmonella vs Melanoma. A bacterium vs a Cancer......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
riveree wrote:
From the article:

Proponents say sunscreen prevents sunburn, but in fact, the real cause of sunburn is not merely UV exposure: It is a lack of antioxidant nutrition.

I'm confused on this one, I thought it was a lack of melanin that caused skin to burn? If you're a very pale person, you will burn. Even a young child, who probably has excellent antioxidants in their system, will burn if they are pale-skinned.

A pale skinned person would do best by avoiding sun exposure when the rays are most intense ( 10 Am to 3 PM ) or at least wearing protective clothing during those times. Everyone else can benefit by limiting exposure during the hours of greatest intensity.
But when you can't avoid it, I wonder what they are suggesting?

I am definitely for using hats, linen shirts, etc., to keep the sun at bay. I've also heard about the dietary changes one can make (6/3 outlines them above). But the reality is that some people are far more prone to burning than others and sunscreen is the only thing I know of that can help in those scenarios where timing or being covered up in clothing won't suffice.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
I'm not a fair skinned person so I've never had to deal with this. I don't know what to tell you other than what has already been suggested by myself and other posters. I've used sunscreen on less than 10 occassions in my entire 59 years on the planet. I've not noticed any harm from those infrequent applications. I'm guessing that if sunscreen is used very infrequently, that it is less likely to do great harm.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I'm not a fair skinned person so I've never had to deal with this.
......and I am . I burn within minutes of being in the sun - 10 minutes is about all I can take and then I need to cover up or get inside .

It's something I've struggled with all my life and on the rare occasion that I go to the beach in the middle of the day (beach time for me is usually after 4pm), sunscreen is the only thing that will work for me.

So just reading that article, I was thinking "what in the world would I do?".

Hopefully, sunscreen-makers can look at their ingredients and make some changes. The core formulations probably haven't been looked at in decades.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Riveree ......when i go to Wholefoods i see they sell Natural Sunscreen so you might want to look into that. I also realise that while certain foods with their polyphenols and antioxidents can help protect the skin cells from exposure some of us have more natural protection in our pigment than others.

Although i'm Anglo i take after my mom and her side of the family as sun exposure darkens our skin to a nice tan as we rarely we ever burn (Southern European stock). I sat in the park for several hours the other day at 90 plus in temps in the desert here and tanned and had no burning what so ever and use no sunscreen but i also do consume lots of Plant Polyphenols and Antioxidents as i'm in my early 40's now. However when looking at my dad and his side of the family (Northern European stock) as they are very fair complected and burn very easily as he and they avoid the sun and need some kind of protection.

Just use common sense......

Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post

Although i'm Anglo i take after my mom and her side of the family as sun exposure darkens our skin to a nice tan as we rarely we ever burn (Southern European stock).
Sure, brag about it, 6/3! I'm so pale I'm nearly translucent!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
LOL........Must be that Roman Legion Blood in my veins .

Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
riveree wrote:
Dring lots of carrot juice. I've heard stories of people turning ORANGE from drinking lots of it.

Or take lots of colloidal silver. I've heard stories of people turning BLUE or PURPLE from consuming it in large quantities.

Here's more color to you!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Reading this I was wondering just how small steps could be taken to help out this cause.

I have one:

To ALL of the people that lather on the sunscreen so thick your bright white from it - STOP!!! You do NOT need to use one ENTIRE bottle per application. A little goes a long ways. Then RUB IT IN! Just putting a thick layer on your skin does not prevent a sunburn but it sure clogs up pool filters and as seen from the OP ruins the coral reefs.

So there you have it folks. Next time your at the beach or pool and you see the family that starts using SPF 5000 by the bottle for each person go up and tell them they are ruining the environment.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
riveree wrote:
Dring lots of carrot juice. I've heard stories of people turning ORANGE from drinking lots of it.

Or take lots of colloidal silver. I've heard stories of people turning BLUE or PURPLE from consuming it in large quantities.

Here's more color to you!

Yeah or you could eat tons of Blueberries and get that blueish pigment into those skin cells
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living